Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mike - Yeppers, I managed to rip the bead on an old Metzler Z6 rear that I used for 'testing'. Fortunately a dear friend of mine made me some wooden 'helping hands' that I used on my old Harbor Freight machine. The trick is to insert them on the top side so the top bead doesn't try to seat (the lower clamps keep the lower bead up). As the turntable turns, I snatch them out one at time and life is good. It took a little practice to get it down, but I think I've got it now. We'll see as I'll be mounting a BMW BT020 bias next week for my long trip to California. Thanks.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'd love one of those if I had the space... specifically for Bridgestone ties lol congrats UP
Joe - I'm not sure that it takes up much more space than a Pro NoMar. With the way the machine works, you don't have to have very much space around. You need an air compressor to feed it and a place to plug it into regular house current. I can measure the footprint for you and they have a store in Austin ... :D

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Joe - I'm not sure that it takes up much more space than a Pro NoMar. With the way the machine works, you don't have to have very much space around. You need an air compressor to feed it and a place to plug it into regular house current. I can measure the footprint for you and they have a store in Austin ... :D
I use the hitch mount on my classic no mar now. That's the only way the truck/miata/bike fit in the garage.. lol

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Fortunately a dear friend of mine made me some wooden 'helping hands' that I used on my old Harbor Freight machine. The trick is to insert them on the top side so the top bead doesn't try to seat (the lower clamps keep the lower bead up). As the turntable turns, I snatch them out one at time and life is good.
Would it be possible to snap me a pic of those "helping hands"? Maybe I can make a couple of them to use next time I have a tire mounted, which will most likely be right after OH-STOC.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use the hitch mount on my classic no mar now. That's the only way the truck/miata/bike fit in the garage.. lol
Well, that's a simple fix - just build a bigger garage ... :D Mine's only bigger than my house because I have my 'priorities' right - 3 ten foot wide bays, a work shop, and a ten foot carport off the end. ;-)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, that's a simple fix - just build a bigger garage ... :D Mine's only bigger than my house because I have my 'priorities' right - 3 ten foot wide bays, a work shop, and a ten foot carport off the end. ;-)
Well, gonna have tell the neighbors to move out then.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
WOW - Nice ATLAS Changer! The beads on all those MC wheels are tough. Now U can go to work running a tire shop !!

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just did the BT020 BMW Bias rear on the new machine. With my 'helping hands', it went on without any grunting, shoving or pushing. Just hit the pedal and away we went. I can get used this method really easy! :D
I'm still trying to figure out an easier way to hold the rim up while the clamps come in. With the MC Adapters, the rim is 'up in the air' so it doesn't rest on the rotors.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
You know you got it made when ya got a top of the line tire changer in the garage, cos you get so much riding in you go through 2 tires 1 month.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
You know you got it made when ya got a top of the line tire changer in the garage, cos you get so much riding in you go through 2 tires 1 month.
Unlike the feller that has so many bikes in his new garage he never wears a set of tires out ... he just buys a new bike when they get worn.... :D

Last edited:

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Yeppers - finally!
When you get to Sedalia, Mo., keep an eye out for a town called Knob Noster. Don't blink you'll miss it! :D Back then it was the home of Whiteman Missile Patch. That's what we called it anyway. Home of the Minuteman missile (ICBM). Last I heard it was back to a bomber base (B-2) now. Back in the late 60's early 70's, I burnt a lot of gas, killed a bunch of bugs, and left a bunch of tire rubber dust driving up and down 50 between Sedalia and Raytown (suburb of Kansas City). Last I remember, 50 gets kinda lost in Kansas City. Ties back into I-35 in Kansas for a while. Rode 50 from east Kansas to Dodge City a few years ago on the way to TexSTOC.

Have fun and enjoy!!

Top Bottom