Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've ridden it from Sacramento to Dodge City - West to East. But Andy and I are doing it all the way this time from East (Ocean City, MD) to West (Sacramento, CA). Hopefully squeeze a little run up Pikes Peak, hit the Golden Gate Bridge, then Bodie, CA the Ghost town and Area 51 on the way back.

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
I changed my tires once by hand. And I mean literally by hand with tire irons. What an awful experience! I always considered doing them myself with similar machines. But my local dealer will change them for $50.00 while I wait. My lazy side got the best of me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Wish I was going with you guys! Have fun and try to sniff some of the flowers along the way. :) Tell Andy Hi for me.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Does he brake on the pedal using his prosthetic or does he have a bike with linked brakes and uses only the lever? Just curious.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Yes, below the right knee. Hasn't affected his riding much at all.
That is great to hear! I admire him for moving forward and not letting adversity take a personal pleasures away.

Bike
Scrambler Ducati
When we first talked about this trip, my initial comment was "I don't know how many 500mi days I can put together. Turns out; around 1880 mi total. At Seymour IN I headed south to Nashville and Phil, of course, continues west "on schedule".

Ron and Guy, its been a while. It took me about a year and a half to get in good riding condition. The Scrambler was light enough, quick enough, low enough but with 5" of suspension: all the things I needed/wanted. I love the thing, but its not the ideal coast to coast ride. It has been flawless.

I use the rear brake much like I have for decades: low speed and parking lot. At speed I use front brake and rear engine braking. Linked brakes would be OK, but I don't think it would make much difference for me. Left leg amputee riders can get power shifters. If its something a fellow really wants to do, there's not much of anything that can't be overcome.

If you want a little more detail and some video of UP, take a look at my little blog: http://aldntn.bravejournal.com

Top Bottom