Pad size problem!

Hi all. So having passed it's MOT with a rear brake pad advisory i duly ordered up a new set for a 1997 ST1100A
When they arrived they were too small by about 10mm. I contacted the seller and he sent me another set, saying there was a problem with the DP brakes. New one arrived EBC brand and they are also too small by the same amount? He swears they are the right ones but clearly they are not.
The ones he sent are EBC FA196HH and they have two 'pads' the ones on the bike have four and they also have metal shims on the back.IMG_0560.jpgIMG_0560.jpg
And ideas?
Paul H.

Bike
R1200rt
Hi all. So having passed it's MOT with a rear brake pad advisory i duly ordered up a new set for a 1997 ST1100A
When they arrived they were too small by about 10mm. I contacted the seller and he sent me another set, saying there was a problem with the DP brakes. New one arrived EBC brand and they are also too small by the same amount? He swears they are the right ones but clearly they are not.
The ones he sent are EBC FA196HH and they have two 'pads' the ones on the bike have four and they also have metal shims on the back.IMG_0560.jpgIMG_0560.jpg
And ideas?
Paul H.
https://ebcbrakes.com/catalogs/ That's the ebc catalog and it looks like FA261HH are the correct number. Reuse the old shims. The OE shims are stainless and are not glued to the pad

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Looks what he sent you are the pads for the standard not the ABSII. The ABSII pads are longer than the standard ones and the Honda stock ones have ridges in them. I always use Honda OEM pads and I'm still using my original rotors after 100,000+ miles on two ST1100s.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Looks what he sent you are the pads for the standard not the ABSII. The ABSII pads are longer than the standard ones and the Honda stock ones have ridges in them. I always use Honda OEM pads and I'm still using my original rotors after 100,000+ miles on two ST1100s.
they're not even the pads for the standard, those are FA142HH. His dealer doesn't appear to be very competent at reading the EBC catalog. The FA196HH are for the CL400 and NV400, not even close.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Those 2611HH pads are clearly wrong for the PO's bike. So there's likely miscommunication somewhere.

I don't do Flash so I can't peruse the EBC catalogs but from murphkits there's no mention of ABS II:

As stated in the title, these pads fit all models of ST100 and ST1300 with ABS from 1996 and up. There are different part numbers after 2007, as described in the following paragraph, so select carefully from the drop down list.

The price shown is for one set of the sintered metal pads, front or rear. Through 2007, both front and rear calipers use EBC #FA261HH. For 2008 and up, the front calipers only require EBC #FA388HH, while the FA261HH is retained for the rear caliper in those later model years. Two sets are required to do the front brakes, of course!

It looks like experienced users here have the most accurate info. Me I'd stick with OEM for this.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Those 261HH pads are clearly wrong for the PO's bike. So there's likely miscommunication somewhere.
they are the correct pads, no miscommunication.

Here's the page from the EBC catalog showing the FA142HH for non-ABS and ABS1, and the FA261HH for ABS2.

Capture.JPG

Bike
R1200rt
Those 2611HH pads are clearly wrong for the PO's bike. So there's likely miscommunication somewhere.

I don't do Flash so I can't peruse the EBC catalogs but from murphkits there's no mention of ABS II:

As stated in the title, these pads fit all models of ST100 and ST1300 with ABS from 1996 and up. There are different part numbers after 2007, as described in the following paragraph, so select carefully from the drop down list.

The price shown is for one set of the sintered metal pads, front or rear. Through 2007, both front and rear calipers use EBC #FA261HH. For 2008 and up, the front calipers only require EBC #FA388HH, while the FA261HH is retained for the rear caliper in those later model years. Two sets are required to do the front brakes, of course!

It looks like experienced users here have the most accurate info. Me I'd stick with OEM for this.
At your site listed , at the bottom where it states choose your option. Click on it and choose FA261hh option "up to 2007" ..........bake pads are not difficult to look up... I always look up and order by part number rather that have some min wage ***** find the wrong part because he didn't read the foot notes..

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I note that is says 'replace all three' sets but the two front sets are fine?
There is nothing wrong with just replacing the rear pads in my opinion. The problem comes when the ones that you didn't replace wear out 'unexpectedly'. I would imagine that it is standard practice in commercial garages to replace all pads if it looks as though there is even the remotest chance that any of them will wear out before the next service.

It just means that you have to check them regularly, and not wait for the service interval before checking.

I replace the front sets simultaneously - (if they wear out at significantly different rates, you have a different issue to address !). The rear - that gets replaced separately when it is needed. The OEM pads are much thicker for the rear brake (I think it is 9mm rear and 6mm front), as they wear down much faster - especially here in the UK where rain kicks up the road surface muck onto the rear hub / calliper area. Mostly, the non-OEM pads come in just one thickness, so a brand new non-OEM rear pad is already 1/3 of its way through its expected life.

I fitted EBC pads just once. They were noisy and they didn't stop the bike nearly as well as the Honda ones. I took them off as soon as my OEM ones arrived.

---

Afterthought. If you are comparing old OEM pads with new EBC pads - the EBC will always feel superior. But that is a false impression. If you take out your old OEM pads and give them a clean-up - clear out the grot from between the pads, and 'dress' the surface - I use wet and dry fine grade emery paper laid on a flat surface and rub the pads back and forth a few times - lengthways. It removes any glaze and a lot of greasy road grime. Replace them and the difference will be incredible.

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I fitted EBC pads just once. They were noisy and they didn't stop the bike nearly as well as the Honda ones.
EBC makes several different friction ratings, and more than one is available for the ST. The OEM pads are HH friction rating, and if you get the EBC HH version there shouldn't be much difference. But they make something that fits the ST in one of their lesser friction ratings, and people who inadvertently bought those pads are generally disappointed with the performance.

Just curious which EBC pads you happened to fit, if you remember.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes - I was aware of the Honda Requirement for sintered pads and got the HH version. It would be about 17 years ago though. I keep mine well looked after and I'm perfectly happy with the braking performance of the OEM pads so I have never been tempted to try again.

My assertion that they didn't stop as well as the Honda ones is hardly the result of a valid test, but that was the impression I got from the only set that I have ever used. Some riders obviously prefer them, but I'm not one of them !

Just hypothesising here - if it turned out that EBCs stopping power has increased in the 17 years since I tried them would I want to try them again ? I still think the answer would be no. The rider has to be able to remain in control of the bike when braking hard. Not only does the bike have to come safely to a halt, but so does the rider. I'm a big fella - 6'4" - and I carry a lot of what we can politely call 'inertia'. The few times that I have had to brake really hard, I've been quite concerned that my arms and the handlebars would hold out - bracing both me and my pillion - until we stopped. Much more stopping power for me would be counter-productive, I think !

Bike
VStrom 650
+6? on OEM pads.
Silvers will sell them to you at a slight discount and you'll have them in a couple of days.
You'll be sure to get the right ones and for probably similar money. They're good people.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
Paul_H_PAN
Sent the others ones back and got a set os OEM's- fitted this morning- sweet as a nut. thanks all for your advise. She's all ready for Scotland now.
P

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Been using EBC, Ferodo, SBS, Galfer brake pads on many different bikes for 35 years, they're not inferior to the OEM pads. No regrets or frustration here, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
dwalby; said:
Been using EBC, Ferodo, SBS, Galfer brake pads on many different bikes for 35 years, they're not inferior to the OEM pads. No regrets or frustration here, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
I agree it's a matter of preference not quality. I just like OEM for most things because there's seldom a question about performance or fitment.

Back when I used EBCs for my other Hondas I had to ponder over what was the right compound what kind of performance did I want etc. It's the same when using any third-party product. OEM frequently relieves me of needless decision making so I can needlessly sweat the small stuff elsewhere.

Top Bottom