Shad SH58X Top Case

OP
OP
Bryan, thanks for the amazing deal you got from Shad, I'll place my order today!
You guys will be glad to know that the case is waterproof. I've got it in the highest position riding in the poring rain on the Cabot trail and its bone dry inside, not a drop. It also poured rain all night. So far so good!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You guys will be glad to know that the case is waterproof. I've got it in the highest position riding in the poring rain on the Cabot trail and its bone dry inside, not a drop. It also poured rain all night. So far so good!
That's great news. At your convenience could you post a pic of the bike in profile with the SHAD at it's minimum position? And would it hold a say— a SHOEI Neotec without raising it?

OP
OP
That's great news. At your convenience could you post a pic of the bike in profile with the SHAD at it's minimum position? And would it hold a say— a SHOEI Neotec without raising it?
I cant see it holding a helmet in the lowest position.

OP
OP
So I had the misfortune of a small crash test on the top case. While riding the Cabot trail today I had to do a quick stop for a wide load tractor trailer. My buddy following behind ran into the back of me at slow speed. Luckily I was able to keep my bike up. The mirror on his co course clipped the shad top case. Left a couple tiny marks but no real damage. Once I give the bike a good clean I doubt if you could even notice it!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Thanks for the pics! That SHAD looks even better lowered. It doesn't seem like a big deal to raise it if/when a helmet needs to be stored.

And unless someone already has additional brake lights that LED bar looks like a worthwhile option. A spoiler with LEDs would be my preference but additional lighting is almost always a good thing. I'd put a flasher inline with it.

OP
OP
Thanks for the pics! That SHAD looks even better lowered. It doesn't seem like a big deal to raise it if/when a helmet needs to be stored.

And unless someone already has additional brake lights that LED bar looks like a worthwhile option. A spoiler with LEDs would be my preference but additional lighting is almost always a good thing. I'd put a flasher inline with it.
I'm loving the top case. It's been amazing in this trip to have so much room!

OP
OP
For you guys who have ordered one, if you have trouble opening the case when you push in release button... Check to make sure that the height adjustment is the same on both sides.. I may have fought with my case for 2 days because of that lol

Bike
ST 1300A
I just installed mine last night, It didn't arrive in time for my trip :(

However, I will say it was more difficult to install than it should have been... the instructions need to be revised for newer model STs and are very European centric, the installation was very straight forward and relatively easy. The instructions were the most difficult part. Aside from that I did have a few issues because my fingers were a little too big to reach the tighter places for the nuts and washers, that was minor and is a personal issue not a problem with the case or manufacturing.

Lastly, I didn't hook up the lighting last night. I was not about to hack into the wiring harness without some intel. As this was designed for the Pan European models, the instructions purely states "install in accordance with European regulations"!!! So tonight is research night and I will splice it in when I know better.

Really happy to hear how well it performed for Tenny80, Is is much bigger than expected, but I think the profile in the low position looks great, and there is clearly lots of room for the next road trip. Not regretting the purchase what so ever.

Thanks, Bryan:)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
B. Thompson said:
I think the profile in the low position looks great
+1 It really does look nice. Looks aren't a concern when you're carrying needed gear but otherwise I like the sleeker look.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
I really appreciate this thread. I'm in need of a top case and was considering the Bestem but they aren't selling a mounting rack for the ST1300 (or any Honda) any longer. The Shad seems much higher quality and the back rest is a vital item for my wife. I think it well worth the extra money so I'll contact Michael and see what I can get.

Here's what I got from Bestem when asking about a mounting rack for the ST1300...Start quote...
Subject: Bestem USA: Update Tracking #7297

Sorry we do not have a mounting kit for your model. *But the top box can be mounted on to your bike buy modifying the universal mounting plate that comes with the top box by drilling a couple new holes in the universal mounting plate to line up to your rear rack. *If you have any other questions feel free to let us know.

Thanks and Ride Safe

Sincerely,
Bestem USA
...end quote.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Michael at Shad said he would honor the deal mentioned earlier. Order placed.

Thanks again for the thread.
Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I don't do enough riding to justify a top box but this SHAD really appeals to me.

I'd have to either remove my BygDawg rack or get a custom mount made. But I know a guy... A simple steel or a aluminum plate on top of the rack with mating hardware underneath wouldn't be too difficult to fab. And it would give be another place and excuse to mount LEDs (side marker and brake light).

My GL1000 had a Vetter Windjammer fairing and later a Vetter box. Maybe it was the material of the box but it was very noticeable when riding especially when loaded (though I probably over backed). Handling was a huge surprise when I transported a bunch if weights (iron plates). :rofl1: Lesson learned.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I am thinking of selling my Hondaline top case and buying the Shad SH58X with the gloss black top plate to match my ST1300.
My thinking is that when riding, the lowest height would be fine for my laptop gear bag. And when parked, raising the height would accommodate my jacket and helmet too.
I also see that the prices have come down further than first reported in this excellent article.

Some pricing that I have found:

$330 for SH58X Top Case and Honda ST1300 mounting plate
$ 53 for black gloss top cover
$ 62 for back rest
$ 50 for brake light kit

I would love to see some side by side pictures of the SH58X and the Hondaline case for size comparison.

OP
OP
Nice to see this thread is still going! It's a fantastic case

Top Bottom