Shad SH58X Top Case

Has anyone tried out the new Shad SH58X top case? I asked around on a couple facebook groups and it seems to still be new. I decided to take the chance and order one and should have it in the next couple of days.

It's pretty neat, huge 58L storage capacity but you can also collapse it down into two lower profiles when you don't need all of that space. Price seems a bit cheaper then Givi's big 55L.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-luggage/shad-sh58x-review/

I can post up a bit of a review and some pictures when I get it if anyone is interested. But if someone else has already tested out I'd love to hear your thoughts! Very little information exists about the 58x so I am nervous! I normally like to do a lot of research first!

Bike
VStrom 650
I'd be interested in updates, looks good.
Particularly interested to know if it's waterproof in all positions.
Ta.
Upt'North.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'd be interested in updates, looks good.
Particularly interested to know if it's waterproof in all positions.
Ta.
Upt'North.
yup, that would be my only concern... if it's waterproof it's a great idea.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Interesting, and the ad says it is waterproof in all positions bc the top go's over the rest of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
I'll post some updates/install/review once I get it.

It should be here Friday but i'm away all weekend so I wont likely get to it until next week sometime. I'll provide some initial feedback but on June.21 I leave for a 12 day trip and will be sure to test out the waterproof ability :)

Bike
2010 ST1300
Interesting, and the ad says it is waterproof in all positions bc the top go's over the rest of it.
Wonder what they mean by "all positions"? Most of us tend to ride our bikes rubber side down, so this is moot. Do they mean lean angles?

The commentary on the last Iron Butt rally said that the rain encountered by the riders was so intense that water got everywhere, and nothing is truly waterproof. Perhaps things should be tested in an IBR?

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I looked at Shad top cases back when I was deciding what to put on my ST1100. Really liked those. This one is really interesting to me as well.
ALL POSITIONS refers to the fact that this one can change volume by changing the position of the top shell of the case (hinged at the back) up or down in 3 positions. So it goes from 46 liter (low profile) to 52 to 58 liter (tall profile). The lid is part of the top shell. I would expect there is some kind of rubber weather strip between the shells where they slide. As mentioned, nothing is totally waterproof and I'm sure there is some way in torrential rain for some water to find its way inside, especially while riding when rain is hitting from all directions up/down/sideways. Looking forward to the review and some pics.

OP
OP
Wonder what they mean by "all positions"? Most of us tend to ride our bikes rubber side down, so this is moot. Do they mean lean angles?

The commentary on the last Iron Butt rally said that the rain encountered by the riders was so intense that water got everywhere, and nothing is truly waterproof. Perhaps things should be tested in an IBR?
By all positions they mean the 3 available positions the case has. The top of the case can move up and down giving you 3 different capacities. So during the week when I commute to work I'll have it in the low position. When I leave on my 12 day trip, i'll move it to the largest position so I can put all of my camping equipment in it.

OP
OP
The Shad SH58X has arrived! Initial impressions are great. Build quality, fit and finish is very impressive!

The key mechanism works very well.
1. Close - Lid is locked required key to open
2. Open - Lid is unlocked and will not require the key everytime you want to open and close it. I love this feature!
3. Release - Move the key to this position to remove the top case from the mount.

To open the lid, with the key case in the option position you simply press on the button/key socket. This will pop open the handle and it has a button under it that opens the lid. It works very well and feels like a high quality product when you open and close it.

all of the mounting hardware, backrest, light, etc where packaged nicely inside of the top case. It's nice that they take the time to do this because it keeps shipping costs down. I purchased my top case directly from Shad

Last edited:
OP
OP
This thing is massive! Easily holds my XXXL HJC IS MAX 2 helmet and my wifes M. I put a box of 12 Diet Pepsi in there to give some perspective!

Latch mechanism to raise and lower the case:

The latch is a bit of a pain to use because you but like anything after doing it a few times I can raise it lower it in a seconds.

OP
OP
Purchased Accessories:

The backrest is of VERY high quality. Combined with the case in the tallest position my wife said it's a huge improvement over my old Givi V46 top case. I was surprised at the amount of padding on it.

The brake light accessory is nice, but I am not sure it's needed on the ST1300. On my V-Strom the top case would cover up a LOT of the rear brake light so I bought it for this one. It's a nice piece and the more noticeable the better so it cannot hurt... I just don't think it's a MUST for the ST1300 like it would be on a V-Strom.

The metal plate is the ST1300 specific mounting plate. It's much larger then the Givi plate that I removed from my bike and seems to be made of a thicker metal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Installation of the back rest...

The actual install is VERY easy. It requires a 6mm drill bit (15/64 is 5.8mm, 1/4 is 6.2mm), I used a 15/64 and everything lined up perfect.

Now... the instructions... are not very clear!

The text that it comes with is very much lacking and as you will notice it shows to large circular markings on the top case for you to drill out. If you take a quick look at the case, you will spot them, drill the holes and then realize they are not in the right spot. What you do have is two tiny little specs below the larger markings that indicate the proper spot to drill the holes. The diagram should show all of the markings on the inside of the case.. I took my time and quickly realized that they didn't line up but I could see someone drilling out the wrong spot by mistake. Also note that the case must be full expanded to drill the holes.

Installation of the upper backrest is very straight forward and the instructions do a good job of showing what needs to be done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Install of mounting bracket:

Again the actual install is very easy BUT the instructions have another error that caused me a bit of grief. The instructions show 2 identical bolts going on the right hand side of the plate. It would be common sense to assume the left side also uses bolts, but the picture does not show it. When you open up the package what you get are 2 difference sized bolts. One is a standard allen head and the other one is more of button head type bolt that is larger and a much thicker diameter. The instructions do not make any mention of what positions to use them in. It made sense to me to use the larger bolts at the front of the rack where the rear rack is the strongest. However the nut is to thick and will not allow a socket or wrench to be used once you have it ALMOST tight enough. The result is that you have to try and get the wrench back on the nut to loosen it off. The larger bolts go at the rear of the rack, the smaller ones towards the front. Not a big deal but could be shown in the instructions and would have saved me a bit of grief.

OP
OP
Finished Product:

I think it looks fantastic on the bike! I'll try and get some nicer pictures of the bike over the next day or two but this will give you an idea for now:

Like I said earlier my wife really enjoys having the top case in the highest position. The added height is very comfortable for her and she mentioned it feels like it mounts slightly further back then the Givi giving her some extra room. If you look at the first picture you can see what mean the Givi case would mount almost an inch closer to the pillion. I have not had the bike on the highway to see if I notice any difference in handling. I don't expect we will on the big ST1300 but I wonder on a smaller lighter bike if it would.

I'm leaving in a little over a week on a 12 day trip so I will report back again on how it holds up over the course of the trip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Waterproof:

With regards to the claim that the case is waterproof, I would say it is not. It is however very water resistant. For typical riding conditions I can't imagine that anything inside will ever get wet. I had my garden hose on the jet setting and sprayed up into the seems and very little water got inside the case. I've never seen water deflect from the ground that high, so in actual use I think this thing is as close to water proof as you can get on an expanding top case!

https://youtu.be/3k75qPi7qZ4

again do not let the video scare you off, it's intent is to show just what kind of rain you'd have to be riding in get the case to leak! I will i'm sure run into rain on my upcoming 12 day trip and report back on if everything stays dry.

Last edited:
Bike
'04 ST1300 - Blue
That looks wonderful on the back of the ST. Great write-up too. You've just about got me sold on swapping out the Hondaline with this. Mind sharing the part numbers for the case, mounting bracket, light, and back rest? I need to figure out my all-in cost before I decide if it's something I can run by the wife...

Thanks
James

OP
OP
That looks wonderful on the back of the ST. Great write-up too. You've just about got me sold on swapping out the Hondaline with this. Mind sharing the part numbers for the case, mounting bracket, light, and back rest? I need to figure out my all-in cost before I decide if it's something I can run by the wife...

Thanks
James
D0B58106 - SH58X Top case with accessory backrest
H0PN12ST - ST1300 mount
D0B50KL - LED Light kit

Most re sellers will stock the product soon so you can get it just about anywhere. I couldn't find anyone in Canada who had stock on it so I bought direct from shad and the gentlemen who helped me out was "mschuiten@shadusa.com". He was great to deal with and i'd highly recommend contacting him for a quote then compare it to what you can find online to try and get the best price.

I'm going to try and get some nicer pictures of the bike tomorrow and a better picture of the brake light at night to see if it is much of an improvement over the factory one. The nice thing with the ST1300 is that the brake light is so easy to access, took me about 5 minutes to wire it up!

Bike
'04 ST1300 - Blue
D0B58106 - SH58X Top case with accessory backrest
H0PN12ST - ST1300 mount
D0B50KL - LED Light kit

Most re sellers will stock the product soon so you can get it just about anywhere. I couldn't find anyone in Canada who had stock on it so I bought direct from shad and the gentlemen who helped me out was "mschuiten@shadusa.com". He was great to deal with and i'd highly recommend contacting him for a quote then compare it to what you can find online to try and get the best price.

I'm going to try and get some nicer pictures of the bike tomorrow and a better picture of the brake light at night to see if it is much of an improvement over the factory one. The nice thing with the ST1300 is that the brake light is so easy to access, took me about 5 minutes to wire it up!
Thanks for the info. Michael was very quick to respond. The prices he quoted were right at or a little higher than average retail from what I have found so far. Going to let more vendors get stocked before pulling the trigger in the hopes that I can find a little bit better price. Also have to sell my Hondaline to cover some of the cost so I can continue sleeping in the bedroom...

Top Bottom