Shad SH58X Top Case

OP
OP
Thanks for the info. Michael was very quick to respond. The prices he quoted were right at or a little higher than average retail from what I have found so far. Going to let more vendors get stocked before pulling the trigger in the hopes that I can find a little bit better price. Also have to sell my Hondaline to cover some of the cost so I can continue sleeping in the bedroom...
He's been great to deal with, during business hours he usually responds within about 20 minutes!

The hondaline seems popular, bet you sell it really quickly!

If you do not carry a pilion you don't need the back rest and you dont get the brake light you'd save a lot of money. You can always add t hem afterwards :) If you do have a pillion though get the back rest, it's very nice quality and with the case in the highest position my wife loves the extra comfort.

Bike
VStrom 650
Tenny,
Yes the ability to open without the key sounds good. Fishing a wet key out of a wet pocket with cold wet hands has never struck me as a positive experience. Glad it is suiting you, keep us posted.
Upt'North.

Bike
ST 1300A
Anyone attempt to mount the top case for an NC700X on the ST?? Trying to find a factory topcase in Canada is like finding a unicorn...however this article is excellent and I think I might change my mind to buy a shad... Bryan

Bike
ST 1300A
Is it too much to ask what you paid in the exchange?? There are some other Shad cases at fort nine and I am wondering how their prices compare.

Thanks, Bryan

OP
OP
Tenny,
Yes the ability to open without the key sounds good. Fishing a wet key out of a wet pocket with cold wet hands has never struck me as a positive experience. Glad it is suiting you, keep us posted.
Upt'North.
all of the shad luggage is like that. I had the sh36 on my vstrom and if I could put them on the honda I would :)

OP
OP
Anyone attempt to mount the top case for an NC700X on the ST?? Trying to find a factory topcase in Canada is like finding a unicorn...however this article is excellent and I think I might change my mind to buy a shad... Bryan
You could always try drilling holes in the case and bolt it directly to the bike. I doubt you will find a kit. The nice thing with the aftermarket stuff is that you can use it on any bike

OP
OP
Is it too much to ask what you paid in the exchange?? There are some other Shad cases at fort nine and I am wondering how their prices compare.

Thanks, Bryan
All in price was about $700 cdn. Best would be to email michael at shad and see what he can do for you. The light and backrest added over 200 bucks and duty was another 100. The light and mount would be available from fort nine and I suspect the 58x will be soon. I didn't want to wait as I leave next week on a trip.

OP
OP
Here are a few more pictures, a little better then the pictures of the bike sitting in the driveway haha.

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
That thing is HUGE! How's it handle at speeds and in the wind?

OP
OP
That thing is HUGE! How's it handle at speeds and in the wind?
I had it up to 75mph and didn't even know it was there but it was not windy. Leaving next week on my trip and will be able to give you a better idea after that.

Bike
ST 1300A
That seems cheap!! I found them available in Ottawa and online thru Kimpex, the retailers are getting them at kimpex too. The box is 516, backrest 119, bracket 96 and taxes for a total over 800$! I'll be calling Michael tomorrow...

Purchased Accessories:

The backrest is of VERY high quality. Combined with the case in the tallest position my wife said it's a huge improvement over my old Givi V46 top case. I was surprised at the amount of padding on it.

The brake light accessory is nice, but I am not sure it's needed on the ST1300. On my V-Strom the top case would cover up a LOT of the rear brake light so I bought it for this one. It's a nice piece and the more noticeable the better so it cannot hurt... I just don't think it's a MUST for the ST1300 like it would be on a V-Strom.

The metal plate is the ST1300 specific mounting plate. It's much larger then the Givi plate that I removed from my bike and seems to be made of a thicker metal.
Thank you tenny80 for the photos! I had an SH50 on my V-strom and I was pretty happy with the quality…used for more than 2 years with not a single problem. Now I'm a new happy rider of an ST1300 and I'm planning a trip with my girlfriend from FL to Smoky Mountains. Need a more comfortable backrest since the SH50 had only one small pillow and didn't help that much for long rides.
My only question is how easy is to change from the small size to the large capacity? I contacted shad on their chat and they have a free backrest offer with the purchase of the SH58, that's $99 bucks I'm saving! The carbon fiber color is also included other $75 in savings. Which is great the color goes with my bike, so I was planning on buying the brake light. My next question Tenny80 is the brake light needed? I guess any extra light is helpful but I see it goes underneath the case, its visible enough?

Top case $399
Backrest ($99) included
Carbon color ($75) Included
Brake light $68
Mount $62
Total $529 - that's not bad at all!!

Waiting for your input to place the order, Thanks!!
[h=1][/h]

OP
OP
That seems cheap!! I found them available in Ottawa and online thru Kimpex, the retailers are getting them at kimpex too. The box is 516, backrest 119, bracket 96 and taxes for a total over 800$! I'll be calling Michael tomorrow...
The backrest is free when you buy through Shad :) Just dont forget you will have to pay import fees (I included them in my cost).

OP
OP
My only question is how easy is to change from the small size to the large capacity? I contacted shad on their chat and they have a free backrest offer with the purchase of the SH58, that’s $99 bucks I’m saving! The carbon fiber color is also included other $75 in savings. Which is great the color goes with my bike, so I was planning on buying the brake light. My next question Tenny80 is the brake light needed? I guess any extra light is helpful but I see it goes underneath the case, its visible enough?

Top case $399
Backrest ($99) included
Carbon color ($75) Included
Brake light $68
Mount $62
Total $529 - that's not bad at all!!

Waiting for your input to place the order, Thanks!!
Going from the large size to the small size is very easy, takes about 2 seconds. Going from the small size to large is a bit tricky because you've got to hold the case up while latching it in place. The first time I did it ,took me about 30 seconds, I'd say I can do it now in 15 seconds now that i'm getting the hang of it. It's not difficult, but it's also not something you can do with one hand like you can with lowering it.

I have the carbon fiber as well and as you can see from the pictures it looks great (IMO).

The brake light is not needed, it's in almost the same position as the stock light. It is however brighter which helps make the bike more visible so it can't hurt. It's only 70 bucks, it's led and the wire connections are very easy to access. I'd say it's more of a nice to have then a must have.

For the best service/price Contact mschuiten@shadusa.com

Let him know you saw this on the ST1300 site and see what he can do for price!

Bike
ST 1300A
I also contacted SHAD today to order the parts. I told Michael about the forum/thread and he gave me a deal on the prices. He also had me deal with Daniel Rosas because he was tied up. I asked him about spreading the prices I was quoted and they were more than happy to give anyone on the forum the same prices. Obviously free advertising and good reviews from tenny80 don't hurt. When you contact them make sure you let them know that you are a member of the forum.

Here are the prices quoted to me today:

Standard pricing (in US dollars)

SH58X Top case - 399.00
Double Backrest - 99.00
Top Case Mount - 61.00
D0B50KL Light Kit - 69.00
Inner Bag - 69.00

Discount Price:

SH58X Top case - 399.00 (backrest included) saves 99.00
Top Case Mount - 45.00 saves 16.00
D0B50KL Light Kit - 35.00 saves 50%
Inner Bag - 35.00 saves 50%

Again either speak to Michael Schuiten or Daniel Rosas,305-652-6366/ 1 888 974 2387 (9SHADUS).

Bryan

Top Bottom