Mechanic recommendations

Bike
1994 ST 1100
Hello all,

I was on this forum when I lived in Chicago. 4 years ago I moved to Iowa for retirement (my wife is from Amana).

I have a '94 ST and I'd like to find a reliable good mechanic (don't we all?). My '94 needs to have the carbs cleaned, adjusted and balanced, as my idle is not so good. The idle adjuster really isn't working and I'm afraid to force it.

so, are there any recommendations in the Cedar Rapids or Iowa City areas? I would travel further if someone would be really well thought of.

Thanks very much

John

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Send a PM to JimSTer. He lives just out of Iowa City. Or contact John OoSTerhuis as he lives around Bettendorf, Iowa. Either one of those guys would know something. I live in West Des Moines and consider the local Honda shop a good one for maintenance (Garvis Honda in Des Moines) though it would be a little ride to get there. But I don't count on them for any deals on buying a bike. But I've had them work on my Gold Wing and my ST1100 a few times and they always did good work.

Bike
'08 ST1300
sorry, just saw this;

-- "McGrath Powersports ?", "mcgrathpowersports.com; Cedar Rapids, about corner of collins road and ceterpoint road, a little bit south on west side; 4645 centerpoint road NE;

Iowa boy here; now in denver; was in C.R. 2 yrs ago just visiting; an old guy from Atkins nearby brought his Goldwing in to fix a faulty electrical switch gone bad; couldn't help but notice what good service he recvd from the techs and svc advisors; of course like restaurant reviews which change rapidly over time; yr experience may vary;

OP
OP
John Jarosz
Bike
1994 ST 1100
Thanks - here's my update on this.

I had some help from a friend and did it in my garage. All 4 of the idle jets were clogged. So cleaning them out was all that was really needed. The carb stix said no balancing was needed.

Initially I was more concerned that the carbs needed to come apart. The only really difficult part was getting the 4 rubber connectors on the carburetor assembly to slide into the ports on the intake manifold. Since you are doing that essentially blind, there's a fair amount of fiddling required.

Thanks for your thoughts and offers of help. I guess I'm still a DIYer at heart.

John

Top Bottom