What do you use for solvent in your parts washer?

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
I have a standard parts washer mounted on a 30 gal. drum. The tag on the drum indicates it contains petroleum naphtha.

If I don't have a project going, the washer might sit for months between uses. Last time the solvent was changed was over ten yrs. ago. The company that changed it last has gone out of business, and everyone else I've talked to wants to put me on a recurring contract, which is huge overkill for me.

I can get petroleum naphtha locally, but at $8.00/gal. it's pricey.

I can dispose of the existing naphtha locally, free of charge at a metro .gov hazmat facility.

Other hobbyists have told me they're running;
mineral spirits;
kerosene;
diesel;
1,1,1-trichloroethane (nope... not going there);
paint thinner;
aqueous degreaser.

What are you running in your parts washer?

Thanks for the help!

Good Ridin'
slmjim

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
The place I used to work, used K-1 kerosene, the kerosene heater grade, mainly for the low odor. We also had an oil fired boiler, so when the kero got dirty, we mixed it 50/50 with #2 heating oil and burned it in the boiler. Even got EPA permission to do it!

John

Bike
2004 ST1300
Diesel fuel in mine that I use seldom.
My buddy that runs his own little shop for rebuilding alternators and starters uses a water based parts washer solvent that is nice, but a bit pricey. Non flamable, not much odor, easy on the skin, etc. But, he's in the stuff a lot.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I've been on the fence about getting a small parts washer for some time now, I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what people are using.
Thanks for starting it.

Bike
VStrom 650
I use paraffin, which I think is identical to kerosene; just that language thing going on.
You are right about trich, don't touch the stuff, it's evil.
Paraffin/Kerosene is a safe product and easy to dispose of. Cheap to buy and with sensible precautions does a good job.
FWIW.
Upt'North.

I use a product I get from Grainger called Agitene. Pricy but effective. About once a year I clean out the washer and strain the fluid and re-use, adding some make up fluid as needed.

Dave

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
After 10 years I would think all the naptha would be evaporated out leaving you with more basic fuel oil, plus all the oil/grease you have dissolved into it over the years. Coleman fuel is 100% light distillate naptha.

OP
OP
slmjim

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Bike
Which one today...?
TSC sells this stuff, which is essentially what is in my drum now:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/crown-psc-1000-parts-cleaner-5-gal?cm_vc=-10005

I'm torn between it and simple kerosene. Downside of kerosene is odor, but its way cheaper than the PSC-1000 above.

After 10 years I would think all the naptha would be evaporated out leaving you with more basic fuel oil, plus all the oil/grease you have dissolved into it over the years. Coleman fuel is 100% light distillate naptha.
The solvent that exits the nozzle looks fairly clean when I first start the pump, still the original clear green color. If allowed to run longer than 5 min. or so it darkens significantly.

Coleman fuel is way too volatile to be safe for this use IMO.

Thanks for the continued good responses gentlemen.

Good Ridin'
slmjim

Bike
2010 ST1300
Coleman fuel is way too volatile to be safe for this use IMO.slmjim
And, explosive, as in flammable. If you have ever primed a gasoline stove using Coleman fuel you know exactly what I mean. Not a good idea to use this indoors. Check your insurance policy first.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
And, explosive, as in flammable. If you have ever primed a gasoline stove using Coleman fuel you know exactly what I mean.
Yep... good thing nobody is suggesting using it as a parts cleaner. But since you have a 55 gallon drum of it already.. just not as refined. Coleman (pure naptha) evaporates very fast, when in heavier form/ in mixture it'll evaporate somewhat slower. After 10 years, it'll all be evaporated out of the base.

Kerosene works and is pretty slow to evaporate.

Not a good idea to use this indoors. Check your insurance policy first.
Fine to use indoors in a controlled manner and a device, in an open well container, not such a good idea.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yep... good thing nobody is suggesting using it as a parts cleaner.
Fine to use indoors in a controlled manner and a device, in an open well container, not such a good idea.
Sorry, I thought that is what you were suggesting in your first post. And, most of the parts washers I've seen tend to be open well boxes with a cheap recirc pump. I will add that having volatile any kind of solvent in your (attached) garage is not a great idea unless you can seal the lid of the parts washer tightly. As the stuff evaporates into your garage, you will have long term exposure to whatever the stuff is. Few garages are air tight from the living area*. Not a great idea being the guinea pig to find out what is dangerous to breathe. These exposures in the workplace are bad enough, at home? No thanks for me.

*I know all about codes and fire walls between the house and attached garage, but there is many a slip between what is supposed to be and what is.

OP
OP
slmjim

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Bike
Which one today...?
...most of the parts washers I've seen tend to be open well boxes with a cheap recirc pump.
This isn't that. It's a U.S. made, industrial-grade, drum mounted sink with a submersible pump and fire link, clamped to a 30 gal. steel barrel. There's a gasket between the top of the drum and the bottom of the sink. The only opening to atmosphere is the sink drain. I've had it for over 30 yrs. & it wasn't inexpensive when I bought it. I wouldn't have one of the el-cheapo HF-type washtubs in my shop.

Good Ridin'
slmjim

Bike
2010 ST1300
I wouldn't have one of the el-cheapo HF-type washtubs in my shop. Good Ridin'
slmjim
That's what I had. After each project, I drained the swamp and put the juice back in cans with a screw top. I got pretty good at draining it w/o making a mess. Got rid of it and now I use a friend's when necessary.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I've used mineral spirits in a couple of different washers. Doesn't clean well until it gets a little contaminated, then it's great. Plus, you can filter it using a homemade drip filter, and re-use it, just topping it off as needed.

Top Bottom