What's your opinion on this seat mod?

Hey Guys - Not sure if it's taboo to post a link to another forum...but I'm looking for direction on this: http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=7590.0

I'm about to do the same on my PA - but I wonder if the seats are locked down in this situation? I know I'm missing that bracket that goes on the back of the driver seat currently. So I could get another junk seat and grab that part for mine. I don't see that part for sale anywhere.

And I can see in pictures of other frames that I'm missing the "loops" on the frame behind the driver seat - I wonder what those are for?

Thanks for any direction you can give.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The loops form tabs that fit into one of three sets of stepped slots formed in the underside of the seat pan. Besides fixing the rear of the seat in place the steps move the seat progressively up as it is moved aft thus giving height adjustment.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yes, the seats are locked down. That key latch on the left side of the bike (your link shows a picture of it in the open position) covers the latch release for the rear seat. When latched and locked, the pillion seat cannot be removed (well, a large crowbar might make me a liar). The front seat? Never tried to lift it with the rear in place. I'll try that later and get back to you.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
It appears to me that the one in the link is the same as mine except for the "extra" four mounting points for the rear compartment.

Maybe you could put a few picks up of yours so we can see what you're wondering about.

OP
OP
I agree I do need to shave off those 4 mounting "brackets" as alchemist instructed...
Look at this picture from a stock sub-frame and though - I've circled in red the "loops" I'm referring to.
I don't have those nor that that bracket on the back of my seat that the tongue on the passenger seat slides into which I put a blue box around- do I need it?

st1300 seat.jpg

Attachments

OP
OP
I think I've just realized that those side loops are for the side tabs on the passenger seat to go into...

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I was just looking at the pics and thinking the same thing as UP. I think those are for hanging a helmet from... not that they work all that well.

OP
OP
Ah yah - definitely agree that the hooks are for helmets - but I think there are still those square "hoops" for the passenger seat side tabs.

The way i see it, I can either cut the brackets off of my sub frame and hope the two seats just sit nicely on there without popping off, or get a new (used) subframe and the bracket for the drivers seat...

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
The bracket on the back of the driver seat is also used to hold most drivers backrest

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
but I think there are still those square "hoops" for the passenger seat side tabs.
You are correct and they also fit into the rear of the driver's seat as stated in dduelin's post.

My guess for what that's worth is that the two seats will sit on the frame without the loops quite nicely. The front of the front is held by the tabs below the tank and the rear of the pillion is held by the locking mechanism. There might be some side-to-side play without those hoops.

Also if somebody grabbed the seats in the middle and lifted up the front could be removed. I don't know if the seat lock captures the little bracket on the rear of the pillion. If so the seat might remain attached to the bike. If not then both seats could removed easily and quickly.

OP
OP
Thanks ST Gui - I just wrote up a PM I was having with someone and surmised the exact same thing...

I'm thinking the best course is to go with a one piece seat it will fit into the front on the normal adjustable height bracket, and then lock in with latch on the back.

I'll let you know how it goes.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
PreSTonean said:
I'm thinking the best course is to go with a one piece seat
That's not a bad idea especially if you're doing any distance riding as the stock seat doesn't work well for a lot of riders. Going with a onesie you could keep the factory seat as a spare or donate/sell it as you please.

Another option might be to fasten the two seats together maybe with some short (short) screws. Not looking at my seat at the moment I don't recall if there's some place to get inside the seat and drop a screw or bolt down through it.

Good luck. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

OP
OP
ahhh yah - I hadn't thought of that...

I've only had my ST a month, and I do find that the stock seat rolls me and the boys down toward the tank tho, so a new seat would probably be worth it anyhow.

I'll have to search around and see what people have thought of the Corbin Canyon Dual Sport vs the Saddleman Stealth... I think they are both 1 piece.

Top Bottom