Ride through the Carson Pass

Bike
ST1300@2009
Dear friends

About 2 weeks ago I did a ride to Lake Tahoe (CA) through the Carson Pass (CA-88) together with a friend to test ride my new to me ST1300.

We started the ride at 7AM and made back to the Valley at 8PM. The weather forecast was for thunderstorms around 2PM, so we started the 'climb' of the Carson Pass around 9:50AM starting from Jackson.

Thanks to the winter this year, the pass (altitude of 8500ft or close to 2500m) still had lots of snow in the side of the road. While up there, the weather was perfect, balmy 60-62F.

We arrived at Tahoe around 1PM (as we stopped quite a few times in the pass), had lunch and started heading back.

The weather forecast was pretty good at the afternoon, and as a result, we decided to return through the Carson Pass (as the Ebbetts Pass was still closed), therefore avoiding riding through Sacramento.

Overall, a perfect ride (450 miles), with great weather and awesome roads. My ST1300 did 45mpg on the way up and 47mpg on the way back. That allowed to refuel only once in Tahoe (as you all know the ST1300 has a 7.7 gallons tank).

@Igofar: I guess the throttle body sync really helped to improve the gas mileage, hum?
:)

Here is a video of the ride:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLQ_QiefgTw

I was a bit concerned that I would suffer with discomfort riding with the stock seat, but a sheep skin saved the day and I was feeling good at the end of the day. I wonder how much better it could be with a Russel day long?

Anyway, the bike behaved beautifully and I'm feeling that it is a worthy replacement for my old Valkyrie Interstate I/S 1999 as a cross country motorcycle (I will probably keep the I/S just for riding with my wife).

Last edited:

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
Sounds like you had a great ride. Had an opportunity to ride that pass in 2009 on my way to San Fran. Our original plan was to ride through Yosemite. But the road was closed because of fires. One opportunity lost, another gained.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Excellent! Thanks for sharing!

I've been across that road many times, it's always a great road! :hat3:

I'll be doing Carson Pass on my way back to SoCal from my Oregon ride I'm doing with my brother in 1.5 weeks! He lives right off 88, very near the 99.

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
Nice video. 88 is a great ride for the ST. I was just over it a couple of times one month ago and it was snowing a bit at the top.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Great ride! - roads, scenery, destination Lake - Its got it all. Nice video. Thanks.

Bike
None
STOC #
I was a bit concerned that I would suffer with discomfort riding with the stock seat, but a sheep skin saved the day and I was feeling good at the end of the day. I wonder how much better it could be with a Russel day long?
Before you spend big bucks on a Russell or one of the alternatives, I suggest you check out a Spencer mod (http://www.greatdaytoride.com/). It is far less expensive and, together with a sheep skin, has kept me comfortable for more than nine years, first on the ST and now on the FJR.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
If you think Carson Pass is fun, wait until you do a "Three Passes" run over Monitor Pass, Ebbetts Pass, and Sonora Pass. They haven't got the snow out yet, but soon!

OP
OP
Savago
Bike
ST1300@2009
@ST_Jim: I'm waiting for the remaining passes to be open, I heard the Tioga Pass should be ready for 4th July.

SierraST

Ride-Pie-Repeat
Bike
2003 ST1300
Sonora Pass (108) opened TODAY about 15 minutes ago.

(It was slated to open last Friday but this recent dusting kept it closed as is the norm this time of year).

Hopefully not too much longer for 4 & 120 (w/in the next 2 weeks with any luck)...more than usual shoulder work on 120 this year after plowing they say.

EDIT:
the status of 4 changed from winter closure to construction closure.
WaHoo!

Last edited:

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
Great news on Sonora pass opening today. I usually do Ebbetts, Sonora and Monitor twice a season. Don't do Tioga often, just to much traffic. Up here in Plumas County, 89 through Lassen Nat. Park is still closed with our record winter

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
@ST_Jim: I'm waiting for the remaining passes to be open, I heard the Tioga Pass should be ready for 4th July.
I was wondering if that was going to be opened anytime soon...well, scratch that from possibilities of my ride between Stockton & Murrieta on 6/24.

Top Bottom