DIY Tire Balancing - Just How Close is Close Enough?

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
The first tire change I do on any wheel I always look for the true heavy spot on the wheel itself, then mark that on the inside of the wheel with a Sharpie, or paint. FWIW, I have never found the true heavy spot to be at the valve stem.

Then I mount the tire with the light mark on the new tire over the heavy spot on the wheel. This minimizes the use of weight.

Some bikes are sensitive to slightly unbalanced tires, particularly the front, others are not. The balance does change with wear, that's why car tire dealers say to rotate and balance your tires every 5k miles.

I have never used balance beads or any of the sealants, guess I am old school. I do knot care for Slime, messy.

OP
OP
Ken H
Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Then I mount the tire with the light mark on the new tire over the heavy spot on the wheel.
If the tire has a dot on it that is presumably the light mark. If so, then how do you approach tire mounting if there is no light mark on the tire?

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
I tried a bottle of this True GOO. At about 85 the front tire started to shake. Later I got a small hole in the front tire also. Sprayed the Goo all over the bike and my boots. So last time I'll use a liquid sealant for my tires. I had to pull the tire off, clean it up, patch it then reblance the old way. Worked fine

Bike
07 ST1300
I think we are talking about a specific liquid product "Ride-On". I used it recently front and rear. Popped off my wheel weights. The tires felt unbalanced at first as is expected but shaped up quickly enough. It also has favorable reviews.
For some reason the bike feels smoother at all speeds. I installed it in my old BMW and got the same results. I don't know why.
I tried a bottle of this True GOO. At about 85 the front tire started to shake. Later I got a small hole in the front tire also. Sprayed the Goo all over the bike and my boots. So last time I'll use a liquid sealant for my tires. I had to pull the tire off, clean it up, patch it then reblance the old way. Worked fine

Bike
2010 ST1300
If the tire has a dot on it that is presumably the light mark. If so, then how do you approach tire mounting if there is no light mark on the tire?
Not all tires have the mark on the lightest point. In this case, you mount the tire and balance it. Or call the manufacturer and ask them if there is supposed to be a 'light mark'.

Bike
92 ST1100
I think we are talking about a specific liquid product "Ride-On". I used it recently front and rear. Popped off my wheel weights. The tires felt unbalanced at first as is expected but shaped up quickly enough. It also has favorable reviews.
For some reason the bike feels smoother at all speeds. I installed it in my old BMW and got the same results. I don't know why.
+1 using Ride-On! With tire dismounted, just wipes out easily with a rag. New tire installed, thru valve stem just insert 4oz. in front and rear. Besides, have a tire puncture 200mi. from nowhere, it is INSTANTLY plugged where leaking air! BTW, tire is balanced perfectly at all times.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
In that case, I just mount them in the right direction and balance them. Michelins are the only tires I have bought that do not have a mark for the light spot.

DAS

STOC #
How many of you have checked the balance on an old tire before changing it? i did once and it was 1.5 oz. out of balance but seemed to ride fine. Then the new tire with no weight was only about a half out so I haven't balanced since then.

Top Bottom