Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rear Suspension Pre-Load

Bike
    2004 ST1300A
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Re: Rear Suspension Pre-Load

Again I say thank you for all your insight and info, so let's get real life here. If you are light there is lots of info and not much math needed.
    Real life, we are a growing race and no sign of fast food going away. Yes, we know, let's not fat shame here.
    For us over 250, 275 and even 300 lbs guys, usually with large women passenger's, any settings suggestions? I'm wondering if knowing the preferred riding height of both fenders I could adjust preload to achieve that height while Rider is on bike? Or is that too simple?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Dave.David View Post
    Again I say thank you for all your insight and info, so let's get real life here. If you are light there is lots of info and not much math needed.
    Real life, we are a growing race and no sign of fast food going away. Yes, we know, let's not fat shame here.
    For us over 250, 275 and even 300 lbs guys, usually with large women passenger's, any settings suggestions? I'm wondering if knowing the preferred riding height of both fenders I could adjust preload to achieve that height while Rider is on bike? Or is that too simple?

There are no setting suggestions in this instance as the stock spring is inadequate for 300 lb riders. Swap the stock 900# spring for a 1300# spring.

Dave

Honda ST1300
    Honda NC700XD
    Honda CH80

Bike
    2004 ST1300A
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    There are no setting suggestions in this instance as the stock spring is inadequate for 300 lb riders. Swap the stock 900# spring for a 1300# spring.
    Do you know how one would find those? What to Google? A idea of what is a fair price? Thanks Dave

Bike
    2005 St1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I would contact:
    Mike Hardy
    mike@traxxion.com
    Sales
    Traxxion Dynamics, Inc.

Give him an email with your weight, pillion weight, type of riding and bike, along with what type of shock you are using (OEM, Penske, Ohlins, etc...).

They'll make the recommendation of a spring.

I'm using a 1300# spring. They recommended a rebuild of my shock and re-valve it but I didn't want to spare the down time.

PS I think spring and collar (needed to fit spring to OEM shock) was under $200 with shipping.
    Last edited by T_C; 06-11-2017 at 07:26 AM.
    1 drop in reverse, so is that a minus 1? 205/50-17 Goodyear TripleTred, 130/70-18 Bridgestone BT-45 (rear)
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

5. The Following User Likes This Post:

Bike
    2010 Honda ST13
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Some great information here, but can we talk about how many "clicks" on the OEM shock?

The owners manual states that the standard setting is 7 clicks. Being heavier than average, I dialed it to double that. I didn't dial in any more pre-load and went out for a ride with a passenger. My best guess for her weight (I won't ask) is about 150#. The bike felt pretty good, but I did bottom out on a dip that I didn't think I would.

Next ride with passenger, I'm going to add another 7 clicks, but it would be nice if there were some guidelines for how many clicks for how many pounds.

Bike
    2014 FJR ES
    My Gallery

I would crank it as high as it will go, if it still bottoms out in the same conditions (passenger and same bump, same speed, etc) then you'll need to get a heavier spring....good luck.....ff

Bike
    '04 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

This is all presuming the preload system is fully charged with hydraulic oil of course. Otherwise the clicks only indicate the preload adjuster knob is turning.
    Barry

Keeping the blue side up.

John Heath
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    ST1300A9 (2013)
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

If you bottom out, you need to wind it up some more. Its easier to do this with the bike on the centrestand. After 70k miles and 6 years, my previous ST1300A6 needed to be wound up all of the way when we were fully loaded with camping gear. I guess it had lost fluid cos it wasn't like that when new.

You may need to increase the damping as well. You can access the adjuster at the lower end of the spring through the small hole in the right hand side footrest bracket. This stops the bike bouncing repeatedly - boing, boing, boing- after going over a bump when loaded, and saves on tyre wear, as each bounce squashes the tyre into the road.

+ New Posts
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123