taller screen?

I'm thinking of getting a taller screen for my St1100. I'm 5 ft 6 with a lowered seat and when on the motorway the wind it buffeting the top of my head. Would a taller screen stop this? Was thinking of getting a 20" is that enough? Got a 2x5 hour motorway trip coming up and would like to sort before.
what are the negatives of a taller screen (if any?)
the screen i was looking at is made by slipscreens here in the UK- i note it does not have those cats eye slots in it. will that make a difference?
MADE FROM 3 MM THICK FORMED ACRYLIC
COMES PRE DRILLED, PAINTED BOTTOM EDGE,
AND WITH A HIGHLY POLISHED EDGE
ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS REMOVE YOUR ORIGINAL SCREEN,
AND REPLACE IT WITH YOUR NEW TOURING SCREEN IN THE COLOUR OF YOUR CHOICE

Its £55. s-l500.jpg
P

Bike
VStrom 650
Obviously height of rider will make a difference and I'm quite a bit taller than you. I'm not bragging!?!
I have the MRA Varioscreen.
The big advantage with this screen is that the top adjusts to alter wind flow, and it does work.
You can also run without the top section altogether, handy in a heatwave.
It comes in clear and smoke and is about 110 squid. Look at HPS on the interweb.
If there is a possibility you will be looking through the screen I would go for clear.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have a 1300 so what I am saying is not perfectly applicable to your situation. I replaced my OEM windshield with a Calsci that is taller and wider. I immediately noticed that it was marginally quieter, with less buffeting when in the full up position. The difference was not tremendous, but noticeable. I ride with the screen all the way up and look through it. Recently I discovered that the noise will diminish as I raise the screen and then increase slightly beyond a certain point, but it depends on my speed.

The 'cats eye' cutouts are supposed to let air in a high pressure area in front of the screen through to a low pressure area behind the screen. This air then flows up inside the screen to reduce the turbulence caused by vortexes forming at the top edge of the screen. Well, actually, it will push the vortexes up higher reducing buffeting on your helmet and reduce the 'suction' that pulls your helmet forward. Well, that is theory - I've never seen these things in a wind tunnel with smoke to highlight the airflow. What my cut outs do for me is allow big fat juicy drops of rain to come through the windshield down low and then flow upward at the perfect angle to sneak in under my visor (which I usually ride with open about 1/4 to 1/2") and smack me in the face. Oh, and the occasional bug, too.

What does this mean for you since you do not have an adjustable windscreen? Upt'North's adjustable screen will give you the most flexibility and the ability to 'tune' the windshield to your riding style.

Bike
94' 1100 ABS
I have three sizes for my 1100 pan. The tallest ones do stop the buffeting and work great when it's cold out. However, the cost of this is having a window you have to look through all day. I now just use the short one, deal with the wind, and enjoy the views. My two tall screens are made by Rifle.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I suggest that you try the Laminar Lip, on your stock windscreen. It sends the air up and over your head, while you look OVER the windscreen. I have one on my ST1300, and wouldn't ride without it. With it I'm never looking through the windscreen. Much more enjoyable riding that way.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I have three sizes for my 1100 pan. The tallest ones do stop the buffeting and work great when it's cold out. However, the cost of this is having a window you have to look through all day. I now just use the short one, deal with the wind, and enjoy the views. My two tall screens are made by Rifle.
I completely agree with this- I have short (9" on the 2000 and 11" on the 1994 bikes)- I previously used a 26" screen and while it did block the airflow, it also acted like a sail when the air was colder/ more dense, which made the whole bike less stable. As a result of using the short screens, there's no visual distortion you otherwise have looking through the top of the screen and there is still decent wind blocking because of the plastic fairing of the bike. I live in the south now, so it's really never cold enough for me to need a taller screen. I won't be going back to it.

I completely agree with this- I have short (9" on the 2000 and 11" on the 1994 bikes)- I previously used a 26" screen and while it did block the airflow, it also acted like a sail when the air was colder/ more dense, which made the whole bike less stable. As a result of using the short screens, there's no visual distortion you otherwise have looking through the top of the screen and there is still decent wind blocking because of the plastic fairing of the bike. I live in the south now, so it's really never cold enough for me to need a taller screen. I won't be going back to it.
I am roasting behind my tall shield, which height shorty do you recommend? Clear view is only one I see so far...

FWIW, I agree, don't look through, go with the lip or deal with the buffetting.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
You can order various sizes from most windshield manufacturers, so your best bet is to sit on the bike, off the centre stand, ideally with someone holding the bike up while you sit normally on the seat with feet up. Then you make a measurement from the top of the OEM shield to just below where your eyes will be looking OVER the screen, by about an inch. That difference is the plus size you would look for from the maker, who usually will base their heights on the OEM screen. At least, this is the way Clearview operates. That height of shield should give you quiet air around your helmet.

The cat's eyes DO make a difference on turbulence behind the shield. With a Clearview brand shield, they do have the eyes and the grey inserts from the OEM shield, helping to keep water out, will fit them perfectly.

Last edited:
Bike
92 ST1100
I suggest that you try the Laminar Lip, on your stock windscreen. It sends the air up and over your head, while you look OVER the windscreen. I have one on my ST1300, and wouldn't ride without it. With it I'm never looking through the windscreen. Much more enjoyable riding that way.
A big +1 using the Laminar Lip! Works great on the Clearview shield! The Laminar Lip also creates a slight down-pressure on front wheel of bike, which definitely stabilizes bike in windy situations;).

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
My experience with the 1100. I'm 6 ft.
Windshields
- Stock 16 ½ not good
- Laminar shortie 12 ½ + lip nice smooth summer air flow but the bugs sure mess up your helmet
- Rifle 22 good, no extra width, but I like air on my arms. I look over it. I won't look thru a piece of plastic
- Givi 18 ½ useless without a lip, great with MRA spoiler..also no extra width. I like this the best
- Clearview 21 4 in extra width only good for winter, needs the MRA (or similar) spoiler

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I'm not tall, but I have a Russell seat that really pushes me up. I have an MRA X-creen touring windshield extension that works real well. Right now i have it on an Ermax. I have a couple of the wider Clearview, but the narrow screans allow more air flow in hot weather. I haven't tried it with the stock screen yet. I do have to look through it, but it is so quiet I've come to accept it.

Top Bottom