Curious About ST1300

Bike
ST1300 2008
What anything, anybody has done to lighten their ST1300.. It is great once under motion but it is a test at times for a short 145 lb. fellow...

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
About all you can do is find a bike that fits your needs better. Probably not what you wanted to hear. But the ST is what it is.
When I climb on mine after riding my Tiger 800 or my DR650, I notice the weight. Especially moving them around in garage. But it is still my choice for a long day in the Sade.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
No much you can do about the weight but search for posts on lowering. Lowering options I've heard about are seat, shock and raising the forks.

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
But the ST is what it is. When I climb on mine after riding my Tiger 800 or my DR650, I notice the weight.
The opposite is also true! When I ride my old KZ1100 after being on the ST, the KZ feels like toy.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Lithium battery.
Lower seat.

My advice is if you do anything to the suspension, install better components, but don't lower the bike.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Hmmm, LED headlights, LED fork lights, LED's on the mirrors, ohhhhhhhh you don't want it to weigh as much? Maybe tether a helium filled balloon to it? Not much can be done. I got a center stand that another strength and height challenged guy had cut the foot tab off, inserted a short piece of steel pipe, and rewelded it together. This gives added leverage (mechanical advantage) so that I can put it on the center stand. And I drop it now and then to remind the bike not to put on weight as it gets older.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The way I lighten my ST1300s is when I get off of them.

Other than that, I like the weight for when I get in to winds and such, which is quite often! ;)

Bike
2k9 ST1300
There is no irony on my part in the first part on this message.

I see a lot of people who can drive but cannot maneuver a motorcycle.

Learning how to drive at low and very low speed .... All the bike will fall from only one side at a tine. Learning how to stop with only one foot on the ground and be confortable with it. Do not lower the suspension and yes thicker sole can help, with the seat at the lowest position.

Else, add a side car or a trike conversion:)

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SupraSabre said:
The way I lighten my ST1300s is when I get off of them.
:rofl1: Yes that's about the only way do to any significant lightening. An LiFe battery isn't going to make a noticeable difference. Maybe pull off all the Tup. Only fill the tank half-way. Take off the windshield. Or leave it on and take off the power mechanism. Same with the headlight adjuster. Replace the seat upholstery with a slab of Sorbothane foam. Smaller wheels and tires.

About all you can do is find a bike that fits your needs better. Probably not what you wanted to hear. But the ST is what it is.
This is it in a perfectly apt nutshell. It is what it is and it ain't what it ain't. No ballerina here. (Reminds me of an old Playboy cartoon.)

It's a little easier making it lower and you taller (thicker soles). It's been done by members and maybe they can respond with how effective those measures were and how satisfied they are with them.

Bike
2010 ST1300
ST Gui;2018694No ballerina here. (Reminds me of an old Playboy cartoon.) [/QUOTE said:
I would argue that with you. Once you are moving at anything above 2 or 3 mph the weight drops away. She is a dream to ride. Ballerina? Some are slightly heavier than others. I'm no expert and I too am short, but by planning ahead, and being alert to how the ground slopes, oil on pavement at gas stations, etc. I can handle the bike.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SMSW; said:
Once you are moving at anything above 2 or 3 mph the weight drops away.
And I'd argue with you that doesn't make it ballerina except I don't argue. I've ridden many bikes that show the ST's weight and high center of gravity. It handles well for what it is. Handling at speed is markedly better than low speed of course. That doesn't make it a ballerina.

SMSW; said:
Ballerina? Some are slightly heavier than others.
Just because someone can be stuffed into a tutu doesn't make them a ballerina. At speed the ST is nimble enough but many other bikes could easily pirouette around it. Yosemite Sam can make a dancer out of anybody. Still no ballerina. I won't beat this metaphor to death and will agree to disagree.

Bike
'04 ST1300 - Blue
I am in your same boat. 140 lbs, 5'4" with a 28" (on a good day) inseam. Lowering the bike is absolutely on the horizon. Don't listen to those telling you not to lower it. You want the bike to be right for you. If you aren't carving canyons at extreme angles, lowing an inch isn't going to hurt and will give you much more comfort at a stop, backing up, etc. You can always raise it back up if you find you are dragging the pegs too often.

As to weight, I've been tinkering with the idea of pulling a few lbs off but you aren't going to get this bike under 650 lbs (and that will take some extreme measures). Better footing makes the weight less of a problem. Backing up a Goldwing is easier than an ST and it's 1,000 lbs but you can flat foot it...

Bike
03 st 1300
I didn't read all posts but remember 1 gallon of gas weighs more than 8 pounds. So ride with quarter tank around town. Plus be extremely careful when pushing around, you must keep it upright, don't let it tip at all.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I didn't read all posts but remember 1 gallon of gas weighs more than 8 pounds.
You're confusing a gallon of water with a gallon of gas (which weighs about 6.7lbs). Gas is (was?) used to fill floats that would otherwise be crushed in deep water.

I've never paid attention to how much gas is held by the ST's upper tank but have to wonder how effective riding around with a 'quarter tank' of gas would be. At 1.75gal for a 'quarter tank' that's cutting range kind of slim.

I've lifted my ST up from being heeled over on the tip over bar while on a negative camber driveway and find it hard to believe 12-18lbs in the tank would have made a significant difference. But maybe.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Cvillechopper said:
Don't listen to those telling you not to lower it. You want the bike to be right for you. If you aren't carving canyons at extreme angles, lowing an inch isn't going to hurt and will give you much more comfort at a stop, backing up, etc. You can always raise it back up if you find you are dragging the pegs too often.
+1 I wouldn't want to discourage anyone who is ST-curious from lowering their bike or at least considering it. That could be a sub-forum of it's own.

Except for getting it onto the center stand I'd consider going to a lower profile tire on my ST.

Top Bottom