Going from ST1300 to S1000XR

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I initially felt there would be no reason to write out my thoughts on the difference between riding an ST1300 for over a decade, and now riding a S1000XR for over a month. The bikes seemed so drastically different that a comparison would be pointless. But, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that as a rider, it may be worth noting a few points:

Why Switch?
I had my ST1300 standard since the month the ST1300 was released in 2003. My only regret about my ST was that I didn't shill the extra cash for the ABS/Adjustable windshield. I managed the windshield mod through CalSci, and it was worth the time and money. The ABS, though, I regretted not having. It was more piece of mind. I rode the snot out of the ST1300. I brought it all over the country, I rode rallies with it, and I commuted hard on it. I put that ST on dirt roads and super slabs, on curvy mountain passes and flat-out straight desert speed tempters. The ST saved my soul.

But, time went on. I wasn't going to far away places any more. A wife. A kid. A job.

My poor ST sat in the garage, waiting for it's next big trip. It was like a trained hunting dog that wanted to go snare some birds, but instead was just getting a short walk around the block every day. Eventually, I resigned. I just wasn't in a position to load my camping gear and head off for a week or two. I was a solid commuter now. A father and a husband. I wanted something lighter, something nimbler, and something different, but... I wanted it to be able to tour for a week should I ever get a chance to strike out.

I naturally started by seeing what Honda had to offer, but their line of motorcycles had become so flat and uninspired and... ugly. Nothing grabbed me and filled that void in me. But after three Hondas, I finally looked at BMW. The inspiration and mission-oriented Teutonic magic coming out of Bavaria grabbed me, slapped me like a newborn, and made me drool. I went in to test the F800s (they let you ride these without buying them first!), and walked out with the S1000XR. I had my commuter, and it was glorious.

The Change
Or was it glorious?

After 5 miles on the the XR's odometer, buyer's remorse started settling in. Why? Well, it was a great bike, but it wasn't my reliable old Honda ST. It was cheaper to buy than the ST (and my XR came fully loaded - minus saddle bags which BMW robs you of $1000 for additionally). It had more features than my ST (like heated grips, powerlets, traction control, ABS, ride modes, auto-suspension...) and it was leagues ahead of the ST for ergonomics and comfort and tech.

The ultra-wide handlebar spread, the upright seating position, and the pan seat that came on it were like a lounge chair compared the cramped knee space, forward lean, and swept bars on the ST1300. My 33 inch inseam was perfect for the XR. I flat foot the thing at intersections. The XR was made for a 6-foot tall individual, where the ST was made for a much smaller inseam.

It was cooler to ride than the ST: Less fairings and less heat off the motor made it a summer's dream compared to the ST1300. On a cold day, though... I'd need the heated gear. Wait, I can't. CANBUS only allows a maximum of 5 amps out of that powerlet and my heated jacket takes 5.7. BMW gave me a cell phone charger, not a useable power port.

The gearbox on the XR is so smooth, you can't help but shift perfectly. The gears click into place, not clunk into place as I was used to. The Shift-Assist Pro felt wrong at first, but now feels oh, so right. It's just cool as hell. The myriad of read-outs on the digital display, and the ability to customize every one of them was pure BMW class. BMW clearly looks at it's engineering and gives the rider the ability to fiddle a bit to make it work for them. And... I can actually see the XR's digital readout clearly, regardless of the position of the sun!

It's fast. Stupid fast. Obnoxious fast. You have to actually try not to wheelie in first gear. But, this quality is lost on me because I ride like a granny. Ask RichR. I'm a pansy on a motorcycle. However, I was used to rolling a lot of throttle on the ST out of first gear, and doing the same amount of travel on the XR would put me on my back in the middle of an intersection.

The motor of the XR is buzzy. The handlebars are buzzy. The cockpit is a louder work space to be in. The muffler is throaty and burbles. I don't really care about mufflers. But, I miss the quiet smoothness of my ST.

The windshield adjustment was now a manual effort that could not be made on the move, and only allowed two positions, but it offers more than enough protection. In many ways, the air moving over the XR's tiny little windscreen is actually smoother than the turbulence coming over the ST's at any set height.

The ST glides over rough roads and sails through corners. The XR conquers them through sheer force, and flicks by push of a finger, unlike the ST which needs a more concerted effort.

The owner's manual for the XR is highly detailed. Lots of stuff in there. To remove a fairing, you remove a fairing. You don't have to first remove the three fairings around it like the ST.

But... BMW grips onto the maintenance schedule and messes with you like a cat with a freshly caught mouse. They bat you around and abuse you... slowly killing you. "Did you miss your 500 mile service? Oh, the BMW certified technician didn't endorse your owner's manual? Sorry about that warranty, EASt..."

I miss Honda's lack of fascist maintenance and the ability to do it yourself with no retribution. The XR is like dating someone while a pimp stands over your shoulder waiting to shank you for missing the proper torque setting on the foot pedal mount.

BMW would have let me buy the XR in another color, unlike Honda. But... I would've had to pay an extra $700 for something other than Corvette Red. Red is fine with this cheap ol' rider.

The Forums
There is no place for the S1000XR on the internet that compares to ST-Owners for the Honda. Actually, for motorcycling period. This is the best motorcycling forum.
And, I don't think Beemer riders like pie. Losers.

The Verdict
While I don't regret the S1000XR in the least, I do not feel it's a good replacement for the ST1300. It's just so vastly different to ride. Some call the XR a sport-tourer. BMW calls it an adventure-tourer. I haven't decided what it is, but I'm not yet convinced it's a true tourer. Time will tell.

I'm sure I picked a much improved motorcycle for sake of commuting, but I lost out where touring and all day rides are concerned. The ST just rules for day-long rides. I'm sure that if Honda ever gets their act together, and goes back to a Sport Tourer, I'll be back to Honda. To be fair, though, I haven't had the chance to push the XR on a long ride yet.

And as Bones said (see my sig line) - Who cares what you ride. Let's find pie!

Epilogue:

BMW, like all marques, requires a break-in inspection around 600 miles. Mine occurred around 700. The XR has morphed a bit. 90% of the buzzy attitude disappeared around 650 miles on the odometer. When I rolled out of the dealer after the $230 oil, filter and inspection service, the 'XR had become down right buttery. The only buzz that remains hovers around the 5,000RPM spot. It's a brief part of the curve overall. I've discovered that the 'XR is going to make a more than adequate tourer, and it's just a ton of fun to drive.

The disservice here lies in the fact that BMW actually lets prospective buyers test the motorcycles. This is a foreign concept to most Japanese makers, but BMW is loaning out low-mile, buzzy motors to potential buyers. They should be loaning out bikes with slightly higher miles: my XR is far smoother than the one I tested, and the one I initially bought. Unlike the ST1300, which was smooth at 0 miles, and consistently so at 90,000 miles, the S1000XR actually does 'break in'.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Wow! What a review! You have the gift of words, Erik. Have you considered writing?

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Wow! What a review! You have the gift of words, Erik. Have you considered writing?
I'll leave that to Bones. He's the official scribe of ST-Owners.

A wonderful compliment though, for sure. Thanks so much!

And, John, you're one of those Beemer dudes who doesn't like pie. You like cobbler.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Lots of 'Adventure Bikes', have crossed my mind but have you tried to convince a pillion it's a good idea to climb up there.
My other arf who isn't exactly decrepit, not just yet, doesn't find it great.
Plus I kind of dislike the term 'Adventure' for a bike. Am I being irrational.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Has the vfr1200x crossed any body's mind. V4, 6speed trans and shaft drive.vfr.jpg
This was one of the first bikes that I looked at, but it quickly fell to the S1000XR:

To buy a 1200x (without panniers like my 1000XR) would have cost me $1,000 more than the BMW. Additionally, the BMW came with more features in the package than the Honda did. Who ever thought the day would come where a loaded BMW is cheaper than a bare bones Honda equivalent?

That said, I can probably say that over a life-time of ownership, the VFR may make that money back through maintenance, though.

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Lots of 'Adventure Bikes', have crossed my mind but have you tried to convince a pillion it's a good idea to climb up there.
My other arf who isn't exactly decrepit, not just yet, doesn't find it great.
Plus I kind of dislike the term 'Adventure' for a bike. Am I being irrational.
Upt'North.
Absolutely not irrational. This series of bikes are equipped with a rear-seat designed more for cargo than for people. My wife finds the S1000XR to be "alright" but not nearly as comfortable as the ST1300 was.

However, she rides with me on the most rare occasions. I am a solo rider for the most part, and passenger comfort wasn't a consideration for my next motorcycle.

I believe "Adventure" has become a classification for a motorcycle with higher stance, wider grip and a hybrid-ized off-road/on-road ability. I do not believe the XR I purchased would be a very good off road motorcycle, but neither was the ST!

WaterlooJay

R.I.P. - 2021/07/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2021 BMW RnineT UGS
STOC #
Thanks for the Ride up, I've been leaning towards the XR for 1 year now. My 06 ST has over 100K miles and it's time for a new Bike. Honda has nothing for me.

Jay

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Nice review, well written. I like the XR as well but I am scared that I would be tempted to find out what 160 hp at full throttle feels like and I end up at the side of the road in deep doo doo with a constable. Hope you have many happy miles on it.

Gerhard

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I like the XR as well but I am scared that I would be tempted to find out what 160 hp at full throttle feels like and I end up at the side of the road in deep doo doo with a constable. ...
Gerhard
Pull one of the spark plugs or fuel injector wires ... problem solved. :)

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Thanks for the Ride up, I've been leaning towards the XR for 1 year now. My 06 ST has over 100K miles and it's time for a new Bike. Honda has nothing for me.

Jay
You and me both, Jay. The killer was that a new BMW is often cheaper than a new Honda. Honda has flat lined while BMW has improved their line and lowered their prices. The spendy reputation isn't as appropriate as it used to be. That said: Test the 'XR before switching from the ST. I'm still not sure it was what I was expecting.

Nice review, well written. I like the XR as well but I am scared that I would be tempted to find out what 160 hp at full throttle feels like and I end up at the side of the road in deep doo doo with a constable. Hope you have many happy miles on it.

Gerhard
Yeah.... I'm scared to death of this motorcycle. The ST was a comfy, courteous mate. The 'XR is a bit more punishing. Worse yet, you could get a 2017 that hits about 170 horsepower.

Pull one of the spark plugs or fuel injector wires ... problem solved. :)
Or, have the dealer remove the codeplug for track performance. Mine came with it installed. I have 4 modes to select from on the fly:

Rain
Road
Dynamic
Dynamic Pro

I'm too old for the last two. Most XR motorcycles come with Rain, Road and Dynamic. You need to have the programming for Dynamic Pro uploaded by the dealer.

Top Bottom