Going from ST1300 to S1000XR

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Great write up. I just read the quarter mile times are 10.2. Boy that's fast. Very well written and fun to read. Thanks
Thanks!

Honestly, I had no idea what the power specs on this thing were when I tested it. I just fell flat in love with the seating position and thought, "Ahhhh. Oh yeah. This is an all-day rider."

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
I can appreciate your write up on the S1000XR. I've ridden the Versys1000 version of that bike, and only have ridden it a few miles, the ergonomics were harsh on me. That bike like a VFR1200, Z1000 and one or 2 others, had "the boys" being crushed towards the tank. Just wasn't my type of bike. The power is nice, and I wish the ST had more, but owning a ZRX1200 for 15 years, gave me that satisfaction of need for speed. :D Now I like to cruise and feel the soft ride. It can get warm on the ST, and it's a wee bit heavier than the ZRX, but I like it. That maint thing BMW must have sounds kinda scary. My buddy brought in his Tripump 1600 for a tune up and tires and it was over $1100. Letting a dealer do my maint is totally out of the question. I'm still new to the ST, but it's the nicest bike I've ridden so far. Have fun on that Beemer!:poPoST1:

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I can appreciate your write up on the S1000XR. I've ridden the Versys1000 version of that bike, and only have ridden it a few miles, the ergonomics were harsh on me. That bike like a VFR1200, Z1000 and one or 2 others, had "the boys" being crushed towards the tank. Just wasn't my type of bike. The power is nice, and I wish the ST had more, but owning a ZRX1200 for 15 years, gave me that satisfaction of need for speed. :D Now I like to cruise and feel the soft ride. It can get warm on the ST, and it's a wee bit heavier than the ZRX, but I like it. That maint thing BMW must have sounds kinda scary. My buddy brought in his Tripump 1600 for a tune up and tires and it was over $1100. Letting a dealer do my maint is totally out of the question. I'm still new to the ST, but it's the nicest bike I've ridden so far. Have fun on that Beemer!:poPoST1:
I had a 1997 Honda VFR before my ST. The XR scares me more than that did. But the VFR also pushed me to do dumber things. I'm too far gone for hooliganism these days.

But, I landed here because I wanted an agile, light commuter. I could have found something more agile and lighter, but compared to the ST1300, the 'XR is a complete feather weight! So, I've made the right purchase.

You're right, of course: I'll likely change my mind on this thing when that first check-up bill comes due. Although, the dealer showed me the cost of each required maintenance before I signed the dotted line, and I don't recall being abnormally shocked by the figures.

Hey... Did you wrench on EA6B Prowlers???

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Congrats on the new bike! I also came from and ST...a little older it was an 1100, now have an 1200RT. Don't regret it at all! BMWs are truly amazing bikes!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Bike
2006 Honda st1300
Great write-up and very in-depth. I rode a couple different motorcycles before buying an ST1300. I test rode Kawasaki's, Harley's, Goldwings and then the ST. Mine doesn't have ABS and I wish it did. Other than that it has plenty of power and comfort for the riding I do. The only thing I would do to it if I toured extensively, would be a Russell seat.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Hey Erik. Nice write up.
I wouldn't mind a sit on the XR to check fit as I consider replacements for my FJR1300 that was knock out from under me a week ago.

I work in Minneapolis and live in Woodbury text me if you want to meet up for pie and some bike talk.

Later,
Kent Larson, Author "Motorcycle Track Day Handbook"
voice/text: sex 1 too ate 6 eight 3 for 1 fore

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Hey Erik. Nice write up.
I wouldn't mind a sit on the XR to check fit as I consider replacements for my FJR1300 that was knock out from under me a week ago.

I work in Minneapolis and live in Woodbury text me if you want to meet up for pie and some bike talk.

Later,
Kent Larson, Author "Motorcycle Track Day Handbook"
voice/text: sex 1 too ate 6 eight 3 for 1 fore
You're on! I breeze through Woodbury several times a week, so this should be a no-brainer. I just, er, need permission from my wife. :(

Get a GS911 and do the light maintenance yourself. That will take the bite out of some of most of the maintenance costs.

http://www.hexcode.co.za/

http://www.hexcode.co.za/products

Supported bikes:
http://www.gs911usa.com/Models_Supported.html

Google it. It can be purchased within the US.
Thanks for the links. The GS911 is on the short list.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Thanks for the links. The GS911 is on the short list.
The GS911 is great ... if you're so inclined, you can leave it plugged in to see all kinds of data live on your phone as you ride. It also lets you cycle the ABS modules (needed for proper brake fluid change).

Don't forget to get permission from your wife before buying one. :)

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
You're on! I breeze through Woodbury several times a week, so this should be a no-brainer. I just, er, need permission from my wife. :(
Looking forward to when/if you get the pass.
Talking me into BMW will be some work but I'd love to check fit and listen to why you like it.

Later,
Kent Larson in Woodbury, MN

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Looking forward to when/if you get the pass.
Talking me into BMW will be some work but I'd love to check fit and listen to why you like it.

Later,
Kent Larson in Woodbury, MN
I said the exact same thing once, but BMW became a "Look at what I'm doing now" company and to me, Honda became a "Look at what I did 20 years ago" company.

All that said, if a bike doesn't feel right, it doesn't.

Top Bottom