Thrilled with new LED headlamps!

I've been riding my '94 ST for about a year and a half now. The headlights have always pretty much sucked. I got a set of 'upgrade' H4 bulbs last summer, which helped a little. At the time, I lived in town, worked in another town, and commuted along a large corridor, so it didn't bother me as much. We moved out into the sticks recently, and I commute along winding back roads to the outskirts of as small town late at night. I made it two days before I had enough of the stock lights. I just felt like I couldn't see a thing.
I didn't want to go to HIDs due to ballast failure issues, so I checked out LEDs. I looked at a lot of different styles, and it seemed like the bulbs that had the best reviews had big heat sinks with cooling fans on them. I figured it would be a hassle to install them due to how the stock bulbs fit and how little clearance there is behind the headlight, but since I was pulling the bodywork for some maintenance anyway, getting the headlight assembly out would be easy. I ended up with these : https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Headlight-Conversion-9600lm-Warranty/dp/B01LCE19PW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497107758&sr=8-1&keywords=Hikari+led+h4
I removed the headlight assembly to install the bulbs, and ended up trimming the two lower tabs off the mounting rings to get them to line up in the housing properly. The spring retainer does lock them in place with some effort, but there is no way I'll be able to do a bulb change without removing the headlight assembly again. I wasn't able to use the rubber boots, so hopefully that doesn't give me too much trouble. Installation time was about 30 minutes. While I was in there, I replaced all the bulbs in the cluster with T5 and T10 LEDs too.
I got it all together last night, and took it up and down the little county road near our house to test it out. I'm absolutely blown away with how much light the LEDs put out, even on low beam. I feel like I can see literally twice as far as I could with the H4 bulbs. This was definitely a worthwhile mod, even with the hassle of removing the headlight assembly. Do it!

OP
OP
Good deal. I put a few hundred miles on it last night. The beam is pretty good; a little blobby on low beam, but gets the job done quite well. Still light years ahead of the stock headlights.

Bike
2006 HONDA ST1300
Do you have any pictures? I was considering these next to the Eviteks. Although I already (just a minute ago) ordered my Eviteks I want to know more about why you are saying "a little blobby on low beam." I've been trying to find other options and already returned a different brand.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I have tried the HIKARI bulb and found that it was very bright but did not like the beam pattern too. The Evitek G6 is 22 watts on low and high beam. The Hikari is 27 watts on low beam and 32 watts on high beam. But the emitter XHP50 on the hikari spreads out the beam too much and has a fuzzy cutoff. It would be better if it were a rectangle instead of square. I have had two other bulbs that use the XHP50 fail after a few months use. Cooling is critical. I think the bulb is great for dual sport or off road. You can improve the beam pattern a bit by tweaking it. Read my fix for the cyclops 3800 bulb by putting a piece of 12 ga wire across the bottom of the mount to cause the bulb to tilt down in the headlamp housing. There is another tweak but now I am splitting hairs. I think the bulb is very usable as is. It is 50% brighter than the Evitek but I went back to the Evitek because I like its beam pattern better. I too have left off the rubber boots and that may help with cooling a bit. Do not use the glass sleeve either.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?154891-Cyclops-3800-led-bulb-FIX

Bike
2006 HONDA ST1300
@spiderman302: You mentioned you left the rubber boot off. Did you do that for the Eviteks too? It seemed like the boot did not block the fan too badly so I left mine on. Wondering if I should remove mine too. The bike already runs hot as it is so I didn't want the bulbs to overheat and/or start a fire when the boot begins to melt from being in contact with hot metal. I know you've worked on these LEDs first hand so what are your thoughts on that?

But I did notice the Evitek ran a lot cooler than an Xprite bulb I was testing. The Xprite A1 got so hot in only about one minute but the Evitek was fine. That was one of my reasons for keeping them although I have not had a road test yet.

20170710_092745.jpg

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
My original boots got cut up long ago when I was trying other bulbs and I found it was easier to leave them off.
Eventually I will buy new boots and install them. The Eviteks are fine with or without the boots.... The Evitek fan is designed for a boot.
The Honda retaining clip seems to be the biggest fit problem....
I do not ride in the rain...

It looks like the Xprite uses the glass tube to help cool the emitters and change color temp. But the glass reflects the heat back on the emitters and reduces the lumen output. There is not enough air flow in the tube so the emitters get too hot.... The Xprite H4 does not have the glare shields so the low beam is a mess. There is not enough heat to cause a fire but enough to kill the led eventually or to even unsolder the led.

Top Bottom