gen 3 helibar risers review

Bike
2007 st 1300
ok. so I read all the threads and decide I might need the gen 3 risers. I buy them and install (which in my eyes was pretty dang simple). I read in some of the other threads positive and some not so positive reviews. well I got to say that when I bought this bike and after riding it for a time I came to believe that it was the most fun bike to ride I ever owned (and believe me I have owned plenty). Now I believe its the best bike on the planet. WOW what a difference those risers make. if you have any discomfort because of your bars then buy these risers because you will not regret it. Of course I'm 6 foot tall so they may not help someone really short. all I can do is give you my review as I see it. Now I'm thinking about finding me a not ridden left over 2012 (last year made?) and installing these risers si I can have a st 1300 for years to come, not that theres anything wrong with my 2007. but I'm thinking get one while I can.:)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
WOW what a difference those risers make. if you have any discomfort because of your bars then buy these risers because you will not regret it.
This has been my experience as well. The same riser allows me to sit upright relieving some pain and stiffness in my wrists lower back and between my shoulders.

Not everyone has a problem with the ST stock ergonomics but I did and now don't.

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
The stock setup works fine for many and considering how differently the geometry of torso length, arm reach, and belly size is from person-to-person that makes sense. For me the stock handlebar dimensions were just wrong, becoming evident after every short ride. The 3rd-gen Heli has made riding more enjoyable with no handling compromises in the twisties.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 st 1300
yes i agree with you guys. I might also mention that i have a right wrist that has seven screws in it and im unable to bend it in any direction. it is fused straight and i have no movement in any direction. so it is important that i dont have to lean forward with all my weight on it. when i turn the throttle i do so by just gripping it and letting my forearm roll down toward my waist. this mod really helped me overcome some problems i was having with the forward position. im happy as i can be.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
i do so by just gripping it and letting my forearm roll down toward my waist. this mod really helped me overcome some problems i was having with the forward position. im happy as i can be.
Wow. That's great. I was merely uncomfortable.

That reminds me a little of when I used to do the Sunday Morning Ride on HWY 1 from Mill Valley (CA) to Inverness.

There was a real hot shoe named Bill Boyd who rode a Yammie RD350 who was almost always the leader of the pack and the fastest guy there. I saw that he had dual throttle assemblies on his RD. Oddly then went down the left side of the engine. I asked what the deal was. Turns out he lost his leg years back and the left-hand throttle assembly is for shifting. He must have been asked that a thousand times.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Just returned from another 1000mile/20hr,, Cannonball rally. No heat issues,, even in the 32c temps. A few times,,, actually a bunch of times I used my mcl highway blades. But between those,, a Corbin saddle and my Gen-3 Heli's,,, it was most comfortable rally I have run to date. Oh,,, and I must have relatively short arms,,, and I still sit up pretty straight,,, Cat'
ps: kudo's to my bike,,, Blue STar still running like a top, while passing 151,000km's

OP
OP
Bike
2007 st 1300
I'm going to do a key west run this summer so I had to get mine ready with the risers and all. whats funny is that I always change to an after market seat when I get a new bike. But I got to say that this seat really hasn't bothered me and that is very unusual. I'm still going to change it out before my ride but I can ride on this seat.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I like my oem seat for shorter rides,,, and local trips,,, say maybe 2 hours out and 2 hours back. It is pretty soft,, and my shorter legs work well with it. But for longer rides,,, which typically go 12 or more hours at a time,,, I would go insane on the stock seat. After a while,,, it is like sitting on a steel pipe,, for me. Fortunately,, it is easy to change seats,, and on goes the Corbin saddle, for the long haul,,,, Cat'

ps: it does make sense to consider your seating when choosing bar risers. But for me,,, the gen 3's are better than the any other option,, no matter which seat I am using.

I'm going to do a key west run this summer so I had to get mine ready with the risers and all. whats funny is that I always change to an after market seat when I get a new bike. But I got to say that this seat really hasn't bothered me and that is very unusual. I'm still going to change it out before my ride but I can ride on this seat.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
Love my Helibars Gen 3.0! Got them with the Ram ball mount and the power port. Found that the Powerlet USB adapter ($50.00) was junk, so I swapped out the Powerlet port with a DIN/Hella port (Center Pins are different lengths). $25.00 Hella USB adapter works great!

However, since I swapped out a Corbin seat for a Sargent seat, I feel that I sit just a little higher and now wish my Helibars where a bit taller.

BTW, with the Corbin seat, I could only ride for about 2 hours until my crotch would start killing me. With the Sargent Seat, I ride for about 6 hours before my butt starts to get sore.

Attachments

Bike
2010 st1300abs
I am 6'5" and ride with the seat as high as it will go. The bike also has the MCL seat riser. The PO had installed that. When I got the bike, it just had the stock riser which I replaced right away with the gen 3 riser. What a difference! Now looking to get an RDL seat sometime before next season.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I didn't like the ST1300 the first time I climbed on it at one of the motorcycle shows (when they first came out) Then my brother bought one, so I looked into it a little and found that there were risers available for them. So before I put my first mile on my '05 ST1300, I had the Heli Gen II mounted on it.

Once the Heli Gen III came out, I bought one, then two and now I have three.

My back and shoulders love me for it! :D

The RDL was also at the top of my list, but the wife MADE me buy a Hondaline Topcase first! :eek:4:

Bike
2005 ST1300
I'm 5'8" and notice that I am getting pain in the palms of my hands from the weight on them and pain across my shoulders/back from having my arms fully stretched out. I'm 90% sure I want the Gen3 Heli bars but have an installation question. Do the Gen3's simply bolt on with NO modification to the cables? On my last bike I went to install a set of risers that said "no cable modification required" only to find out the break cable wasn't long enough. I'm really hoping that these will just bolt on and that will be that.

I also can't decide if I want the plain ones or if I want the ones with the powerlet and ball mount attached. I don't have a GPS and can't see spending $1000 to get one any time soon. I'm not skilled enough to install the one with the powerlet, but I could do the basic one myself. Just wondering if I should bite the bullet and get the fancy one and pay for the install (maybe get some softer grips while I'm at it) or save the money and go with the basic one.

A buddy has been pushing me to get the powerlet one and mount my phone to it. I don't have any way to hear it in my helmet and apps like WAZE or Google Maps seem to eat a battery pretty quick, so not sure it is worth the money.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Wow. That's great. I was merely uncomfortable.

That reminds me a little of when I used to do the Sunday Morning Ride on HWY 1 from Mill Valley (CA) to Inverness.

There was a real hot shoe named Bill Boyd who rode a Yammie RD350 who was almost always the leader of the pack and the fastest guy there. I saw that he had dual throttle assemblies on his RD. Oddly then went down the left side of the engine. I asked what the deal was. Turns out he lost his leg years back and the left-hand throttle assembly is for shifting. He must have been asked that a thousand times.
Just making connections on an older post here..........If anyone needs an assist like this, the Puch scooter sold by Sears thru the 1960's had a left hand shifter. Could be used as a model for a clutch/rotating shifter for someone shift-side challenged. Aftermarket guys should take a look.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm 5'8" and notice that I am getting pain in the palms of my hands from the weight on them and pain across my shoulders/back from having my arms fully stretched out. I'm 90% sure I want the Gen3 Heli bars but have an installation question. Do the Gen3's simply bolt on with NO modification to the cables? On my last bike I went to install a set of risers that said "no cable modification required" only to find out the break cable wasn't long enough. I'm really hoping that these will just bolt on and that will be that.

I also can't decide if I want the plain ones or if I want the ones with the powerlet and ball mount attached. I don't have a GPS and can't see spending $1000 to get one any time soon. I'm not skilled enough to install the one with the powerlet, but I could do the basic one myself. Just wondering if I should bite the bullet and get the fancy one and pay for the install (maybe get some softer grips while I'm at it) or save the money and go with the basic one.

A buddy has been pushing me to get the powerlet one and mount my phone to it. I don't have any way to hear it in my helmet and apps like WAZE or Google Maps seem to eat a battery pretty quick, so not sure it is worth the money.
There is no modification required. For the longest time I removed the cable/break hose/cable hose holder in front, but I found I was able to re-install them.

Also if you get the GenIII riser with the power outlet and the threads for a ball mount, yes you can get what you are looking for.

HELIBARS-HANDLEBAR-RISERS-PILOT

Bike
2005 ST1300
Thanks SS. Just can't decide if I want to spend the extra $$ on the one with the power outlet and ball or if I should just go with the plain one. I'd love a GPS but can't justify the expense.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SupraSabre said:
There is no modification required. For the longest time I removed the cable/break hose/cable hose holder in front, but I found I was able to re-install them.
+1. I didn't even bother removing the holder based on what I had read here. I checked the steering lock-to-lock and though the cable slack was measured in mils there've been no problems in thousands of miles. I've very happy with the Gen 3.

Thanks SS. Just can't decide if I want to spend the extra $$ on the one with the power outlet and ball or if I should just go with the plain one. I'd love a GPS but can't justify the expense.
There's not much difference in price (~$179/$189/$209) for plain/RAM ball/RAM and powerlet. But if you're not going to plug in anything on a temporary basis then the powerlet would go unused. I think the RAM ball is handy and it's only $10 more. They're about $8-9 retail so you get machining and installation free. But if you're not going to mount anything there $10 save is more gas or coffee and donuts at Tim's.

Top Bottom