Strange Ide Bahavior

re_mcgraw

Iron Butt STud
Bike
2010 ST1300AA
Hi All,

My idle is behaving very strangely and I could use some help. Let's start with saying the bike is stock save the audiovox cruise I put on 3 years ago. It worked fine for 2 years, then stopped. The bike wouldn't hold a low idle. Took it apart, found a kink in the vacuum manifold to the MAP sensor. While I had it apart, I blew out all the vac manifold lines, inspected them, and ensured they were correctly reinstalled according to the service manual. Problem solved, or so I thought. Low idle is solid at 1000 mas/menos 100, sometimes. This brings me to my current issue. When cold or just started, the idle is perfect. When hot, it wants to idle at 3500. Here's where it gets strange. If I "ride it down" to 1000 rpm, 90% of the time it will stay there. If I pull in the clutch at any other rpm, it races to 3500. Yes, this built in cruise is nice when just coasting around. But, it sucks at every stop light and will eat up my brake pads. I've got to get it to come down. Cruise still won't set or hold speed either.

Put 1869 on it and rode the tail of the dragon last weekend. That's my way of saying she seems otherwise just fine. Your expert advice is appreciated. Anything short of a cylinder hone or turning a crank journal I can usually handle. Thanks in advance.

Rob

2010 ST1300A
Factory heated grips
MCL blades
power socket
3M Phosolite Pinstripes
Audiovox Cruise

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
My money would be on something expanding enough when hot to cause the throttle to stick open and whatever you're doing when you ride it down overcomes it. Check and adjust the throttle cables and have a look under the airbox and see how the cruise linkage is arranged. Getting that linkage right is tricky given the proximity of the air box and the breather hose.

--Mark

Bike
2010 st1300abs
Hi All,

My idle is behaving very strangely and I could use some help. Let's start with saying the bike is stock save the audiovox cruise I put on 3 years ago. It worked fine for 2 years, then stopped. The bike wouldn't hold a low idle. Took it apart, found a kink in the vacuum manifold to the MAP sensor. While I had it apart, I blew out all the vac manifold lines, inspected them, and ensured they were correctly reinstalled according to the service manual. Problem solved, or so I thought. Low idle is solid at 1000 mas/menos 100, sometimes. This brings me to my current issue. When cold or just started, the idle is perfect. When hot, it wants to idle at 3500. Here's where it gets strange. If I "ride it down" to 1000 rpm, 90% of the time it will stay there. If I pull in the clutch at any other rpm, it races to 3500. Yes, this built in cruise is nice when just coasting around. But, it sucks at every stop light and will eat up my brake pads. I've got to get it to come down. Cruise still won't set or hold speed either.

Put 1869 on it and rode the tail of the dragon last weekend. That's my way of saying she seems otherwise just fine. Your expert advice is appreciated. Anything short of a cylinder hone or turning a crank journal I can usually handle. Thanks in advance.

Rob

2010 ST1300A
Factory heated grips
MCL blades
power socket
3M Phosolite Pinstripes
Audiovox Cruise
If your CC is not working no as well, it seems the two problems are connected. Check all vacuum hoses, the tee you used to tie in the cruise control and the vacuum reservoir as well for vacuum leaks.

Bike
2010 ST1300
One thing I would do, depending on how the CC is connected would be to disconnect it from the throttle body mechanically. With it disconnected, you can tell if it is malfunctioning or if its a vacuum leak or something else.

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Check the vacuum to the servo, if you have good vacuum the problems may not be related. My Audiovox quit working recently. It passed the input tests using the diagnostic led and all measured voltages were correct. It turned out to be a sticking solenoid in the servo. The servo is easily taken apart and you can remove the solenoid assembly from the circuit board. I briefly energized the solenoids with 12 volt jumper wires and lubed them each with a drop of 3 in 1 oil. I just did a 3000 mile trip and it worked perfectly. Make sure that the arm on the throttle body that the cruise hooks to is not hitting the bottom of the airbox. Good luck.

OP
OP
re_mcgraw

re_mcgraw

Iron Butt STud
Bike
2010 ST1300AA
Thank you all. I will try those ideas and report back. Very helpful.

Top Bottom