OP
OP
Afan

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Thank you guys, I really appreciate your kind words and support. It's so good to feel you're the part of the big family.

Bike
03 st 1300
Ouch, so sorry about your accident. Many times I have not seen the other car, but no wrecks, thank goodness.
i agree to try to buy bike back, cause they just sell it for a few hundred bucks anyway. Main thing is your ok so
thats all that matters. I broke both bones in both wrists years ago hang gliding. I had my casts off in six weeks.
but boy my wrists were weak as heck. Hope yours heals fast.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Afan,

Have you made a decision to rebuild or retire the bike or are you still exploring your options?

I hope you're healing process is swift!
I'm still waiting for the agents's offer. I would like to buy the bike back, regardless if I'm gonna fix it or part it out - if the money the will ask is reasonable.
I had the surgery yesterday, feeling much better today.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hope you heal fast and I think you are right about selling it. It looks like it would take a lot to repair it.

Good luck on your search for another bike.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Glad you are okay. Take the money and run. Great bikes not worth much on the open market.

Bike
1993 ST 1100
Sorry for being so late to the party, but I just want to say that I am sorry for your accident. I hope your wrist heals up quickly and you are ready to ride the 700 without pain.

I don't visit this forum very often I do hope for the best outcome with your healing and whatever you do with the bike.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
... If you decide on another ST11, try to buy this one back from insurance for a parts bike...
Still didn't sell the bike. I feel so sorry to part it out... :(
Few days ago I found 1993 ST1100, not in best condition but cheap. With the parts from my old bike, there could be one good bike. But I'm not sure how much are 1993 and 1998 "compatible"? While I was thinking - bike is sold. But the question is still there. If I find another (affordable) ST, what years are compatible with my 1998?

Thanks for any help.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
96 and up are pretty much identical - other than the ABSII vs the standard. Before 96, the big issue is the 28 amp vs the 40 amp alternator. Pretty much all parts are 'swappable' across years except ABS vs standard bits (the front fender, front wheel, forks are also different size). If you are looking, I would definitely go with an ABSII because the braking (not the ABS part) is much better. Good luck on your search.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
96 and up are pretty much identical - other than the ABSII vs the standard. Before 96, the big issue is the 28 amp vs the 40 amp alternator. Pretty much all parts are 'swappable' across years except ABS vs standard bits (the front fender, front wheel, forks are also different size). If you are looking, I would definitely go with an ABSII because the braking (not the ABS part) is much better. Good luck on your search.
Thanks Uncle Phil. :)

:think1:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
How can I find if the frame is toast?!? :(
Is there is an easy way or I have to take it to a dealership (what could be a problem)?
The way the forks look all bent out of shape, I'm guessing the triple tree is too, therefore the frame probably is. Either way, I wouldn't waste my time on it. IMO, these bikes are not worth restoring from that amount of damage. They're not collector worthy and therefore relatively inexpensive to replace. Cheaper and more efficient to just take your insurance money and get another bike.

Personally, if you want another ST11, I'd get a '96 or later ABSII model... better alternator and much better brakes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom