Re-sleeving a master cylinder?

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
Hi all,
I have a few Kawasaki Z-1 master cylinders in need of being re-sleeved.

I've found two places in the U.S. that claim they can do it. One uses hardened brass for the sleeve, the other uses stainless steel. Each claim their sleeve material is best.

Has anyone had a master cylinder re-sleeved? If so, by whom, using what sleeve material and, are you satisfied with the work?

Thanks for your help.

Good Ridin'
slmjim

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Interesting, I've not heard of re-sleeving a MC. Honing, yes but not re-sleeving. I guess, in most all cases, it's not worth it since buying another is relatively cheap.

I'm assuming the Z-1 MC is tough to get and you're trying to stay stock?

OP
OP
slmjim

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
Repops are available, but a knowledgeable eye will spot them immediately. Staying stock while retaining the patina of age are the goals. Re-sleeving is big in the vintage, exotic & antique car world. Most old car brake components seem to be made of cast iron. There seem to be few places that will re-sleeve a cast aluminum master cylinder such as on a Z-1.

I see many Z-1 master cylinders that have been subjected to very old brake fluid, to the point of greenish crud forming in the area of the piston boot, caused by brake fluid weeping past the piston seal. Upon disassembly, the piston bore has often been damaged by corrosion, etched beyond that which can be repaired by honing.

Good Ridin'
slmjim

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks for the info Jim. Good luck.

while i have never had resleeving done on a brake master i WOULD NOT ever use stainless as it will corrode the remaining aluminum

Top Bottom