Brake Caliper issues ?

i am new to the Forum but have my pan for a year now and be actually quiet happy with it but have a slight problem which I and my mate cant figure out.

may i tell you what it is and maybe someone can shed some ideas into it.

i had the Bike for a year and i was going changing break pads among a full service. the left front one was drilled behind the dustcap so someone before made already some **** up. sorry the language. so i ordered a replacement second hand and refurbished it. put it in amongst new tyre and pads. now since we done this the left brake caliper is making some clicking noise while driving. the brake tester gives 100 percent and no difference in each side. but this clicking is there. greased the pads on the back and cleaned the caliper again, for a while when the bike is cold no clicking after about 5 to 6 miles the clicking is there again.

( update - i just put some blue tac around the spring on the rear which is holding the pads in line i guess, and the clicking is not as loud anymore and also only intermittent not all the time as before . maybe has some to do with that ? )

no influence on braking or anything else. no vibration on the handlebar. jut this damm clicking noise we can not figure out why.

and if possible, would anyone have some schematics or pictures about the caliper for a st1100 non abs so i can see if everything is right together. as it is my first Pan i dont know if everything is right because i just put everything together like i put it apart. so not sure about the springs and bolts.

Thank you

Bike
VStrom 650
Re. the schematics, search on CMSNL, ie CMS in Holland on the interweb and then on your specific model and all the schematics are there.
If you need anything at any time, there prices seem good and delivery is excellent.
I am thinking about your fault, is the piston sticking on that side at all, I presume not because of the strip and rebuild?
Does the noise increase or get quicker with road speed?
Thinking hurts!
Upt'North.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
the non ABS left caliper is attached to an anti-dive unit in the back of the fork tube, that's probably what is causing the clicking you're hearing. Dunno how to tell if the anti-dive is working as it should though, so I can't help you with that.

edit: just to be clear, the clicking noise isn't abnormal, the anti-dive will make a click when it operates, so the fact that you're hearing something doesn't necessarily indicate that there is a problem that needs to be solved.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Sounds like it could be one of several things....air in the system...worn or loose spring clip in back of caliper...dry guide pins causing the caliper to bind momentarily....etc.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
One time i had an issue with one of the holes in the pad frame being a little too big for the retaining pin, and it would click as the pad moved under braking. This might be what you're hearing. It was more of a sharp click, as opposed to a dull clunk from the anti-dive. Pull the pads and check the fit between the pin and hole in the pad frame.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
A few things spring to mind

1 - There should be a silvered 'clip' at the front end of the calliper (furthest away from the pad pin) in which the tab of the brake pad fits and slides. If it isn't there, I would imagine that the loose fit would cause a clicking / tapping / thunking noise when the brakes are applied.

2 - The spring that sits in the roof of the calliper - check that it has been inserted the correct way round. Its not as easy to put it in wrongly on the ST1100 as it is on the ST1300, but if I remember correctly, it is still possible - although you would really have to be not paying much attention at the time. Still worth checking the state of that spring.

3 - check the heads of the bolts which secure the disc rotors to the wheel. Are there any marks on them ? It could be a clearance issue with the front calliper and it is catching on the bolt heads.

Top Bottom