Signal light switch clean/lube

Bike
ST 1300 Blue
STOC #
I've noticed that my signal lights are getting hard to cancel. It takes quite a push to turn them off. I read somewhere here that the switch can be taken apart and cleaned and lubed. Is it much of a job to do that? I have an 04 ST 1300.:04biker:
Thanks

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've done this several times in the 11 years of ownership, 170,000 miles. I think the switches will outlast me with a little care. They feel better than the 2015 Honda sharing the stable.

Two screws separate the left pod halves, another removes a piece of curved metal forming a lower clamp on the bar, one more allows the slide of the switch to lift out and expose the contacts. I use a contact cleaner and Q-tips on the contacts and relube the slide with a small amount of dielectric grease. Take your time, go slow, and take a picture or a drawing if necessary to show component locations. No hidden springs, small parts or "gotchas" fly out to be lost.

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1300 Blue
STOC #
Ok, thanks Dave, I was afraid of the hidden stuff flying away forever. Will get after it tomorrow. Pics are always a good idea.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Probably not the best way, but I just spray a little silicone lube in the housing. Seems to work. I'm sure one day I'll have to get in there and clean it out.

Bike
ST1300
I was having a problem with my right turn signals: they wouldn't turn on as reliably when it got cold. I went farther in the above switch cleaning procedure by unsnapping the moving and stationary portions of the contact block. A little bit of sandpaper cleaned up the copper contact surfaces, then some dielectric grease on the contact block to keep corrosion out, and finally lithium grease on the slide switch and the non-electrical moving components.

The switch operates better than it has in years.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
This didn't show up on a search? Hope your repair lasts as long as mine has...maybe time to do it again just because it worked so well. Guess I never got the pictures loaded up! (album created)

Last edited:
Top Bottom