Mirror deflectors sticky tape

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
I had to remove the mirror deflectors on my bike to get some electrical done. Been trying to get the double-sided tape removed from the deflectors for the past couple of days, it's a royal PITA and my bloody fingers hurt! Anyone got recommendations on some easier methods I can use for removing the double-sided tape from the deflectors?

Thanks.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I have removed mine more than one time and I used a heat gun to remove them and to reinstall them with no problems. You just need to take your time.

OP
OP
pumper316

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
I have removed mine more than one time and I used a heat gun to remove them and to reinstall them with no problems. You just need to take your time.
Thanks. I had been using a hair dryer so far, but didn't have much luck with it. Used a heat gun on high setting and the tape just peeled off.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Like Norm said about not warning you to the obvious, be careful with chemicals. One of the popular adhesive removers - goo gone or goof off or something like that comes in a "Pro" version. Since the standard Goo Gone was not working to take double sided tape off our fridge (courtesy of a tenant) I tried the plus. A rag with the Pro came away white when I tried it on an inconspicuous part - the new and improved formula was taking the paint off.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks. I had been using a hair dryer so far, but didn't have much luck with it. Used a heat gun on high setting and the tape just peeled off.
Just be careful with how much heat you give them, you can warp them doing that. DAMHIK!

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have the perfect solution to this. You leave it in place for 5 years whilst riding around in all weathers and exposed to the muck, grit, salt and shhh don't shout too loud. The stuff just falls off, taking the wind deflectors with it.

How to put it back on again ? Black, all weather gutter sealant works a treat, and when you want to remove it, it peels off.

OP
OP
pumper316

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
I have the perfect solution to this. You leave it in place for 5 years whilst riding around in all weathers and exposed to the muck, grit, salt and shhh don't shout too loud. The stuff just falls off, taking the wind deflectors with it.

How to put it back on again ? Black, all weather gutter sealant works a treat, and when you want to remove it, it peels off.
Thanks for the tip. Will look into this, though I highly doubt if the deflectors are going to stay put for 5 years at a go! With my OCD. it will be probably come off in less than a year.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks for the tip. Will look into this, though I highly doubt if the deflectors are going to stay put for 5 years at a go! With my OCD. it will be probably come off in less than a year.
Or the next time you need to remove the windshield cowl! :eek:4:

Bike
2010 ST1300
Body shop supply houses sell the black 3M tape in two widths - but you already knew that. Iirc, $15 to $17 for the narrower roll - but that price goes back about 3 years.

Top Bottom