Tail of The Dragon

PEZ

Bike
2007 ST1300A
Had an opportunity to ride the Tail of the Dragon, last week. I rode from Chicago to PA, then headed south to NC and then TN, KY and back home. Rode with a couple of good friends, one 2012 ST and a BMW 1200RT and loved the entire ride. The Tail was fun but found myself being very cautious. After watching the videos I took, it seemed like we were barley moving. It also rained heavily when we arrived and the road was saturated, which added to my alertness. The highlight of the trip was getting from PA to Brevard, NC. I loved riding through the mountain rage and the twisties in PA/NC/TN getting to the dragon.

Fun times, good friends, and great memories.

One question if anyone reads this, what type of speeds do you ride on the interstate? If the speed limit is 65 mph, are you cruising at 70, 80, 90?

Thanks.

PEZ

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
If I do ride the Interstates. I usually ride between 85-95 mph. I just want to get the hell away from everybody!

Had an opportunity to ride the Tail of the Dragon, last week. I rode from Chicago to PA, then headed south to NC and then TN, KY and back home. Rode with a couple of good friends, one 2012 ST and a BMW 1200RT and loved the entire ride. The Tail was fun but found myself being very cautious. After watching the videos I took, it seemed like we were barley moving. It also rained heavily when we arrived and the road was saturated, which added to my alertness. The highlight of the trip was getting from PA to Brevard, NC. I loved riding through the mountain rage and the twisties in PA/NC/TN getting to the dragon.

Fun times, good friends, and great memories.

One question if anyone reads this, what type of speeds do you ride on the interstate? If the speed limit is 65 mph, are you cruising at 70, 80, 90?

Thanks.

PEZ
I just rode Chicago to Denver. Mostly 75mph road. I rode 80 to 85. The trucks were mostly at 75 to 80. Cars mostly 80. If I stayed in that range, it minimized passing and being passed, and often the gaps were big enough you could feel alone. I could run it easily at 100, but constantly wobbling in the draft at the *** of semis with the wind extensions is not fun. '09 ST1300PA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
The Tail was fun but found myself being very cautious. After watching the videos I took, it seemed like we were barley moving.
I did the Tail of the Dragon a few years ago and likewise, I found myself being very cautious. So cautious in fact, that it felt more like work than fun. I only did it the once, that was enough, but I'm glad I did it since it's such an iconic destination.

On the interstates, I generally try and ride just about the same as the average speeds and will stay in the right lane whenever possible. Around here, EVERYONE and I mean absolutely EVERYONE travels above the speed limit on the highways. Most of the speed limits are 65, but there are a few places where it's only 55. Regardless, if the traffic isn't too heavy, we're all travelling 70 to 75 which means my speedometer is reading between 75 and 80. Those kinds of speeds seem reasonable in terms of safety and risk of speeding ticket.

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
First time I rode The Dragon, I was on a new to me Concours 1000. Didn't enjoy it much, between the new bike and the other people on the road. I've done it twice more, on an 84 NH700S and a 96 NH750. The 700S was a lot of fun. Still haven't taken an ST up there yet.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I live in Tennessee and have been riding the 'Dragon' long before it was called the 'Dragon'. ;-) There are lot of roads as good or better tucked away in the hills of Tennessee and North Carolina. We explore a lot of them when I host the Blue Ridge Gathering in October. As far as interstates go, if traffic is not a problem, I set my cruise for 5-7 mph over the limit and tend to stay in the right lane. Most state troopers never even look at that rate. The old saying is, FWIW, "5 over you're fine, 10 over you're mine!" :D

thatbeeguy

Jeff
Bike
1996 ST1100
Depending on the conditions I almost always right five to seven miles an hour faster than than 90% of the traffic. And then just keep an eye on my rear view mirrors for the last 10%. That keeps me in control not being controlled by the rest of the traffic

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Brevard huh? You should have stopped by, I'm only 5 1/2 hours away.... And it's on the way to PA, if you go via VA....

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I remember Deals Gap when the speed limit through there was 55! Back in the early '90's you could run through there as fast as you wanted. We had good times on some old CBR's! Now, we just stop at the store and check out the crowd and then head back to some non congested roads. On the interstate, I'm with the fast philosophy. I like to get ahead and stay ahead of the crowd.

OP
OP
PEZ

PEZ

Bike
2007 ST1300A
Thanks for all the feedback.

On another note, my right hand got pretty numb during the ride, and I was wondering if anyone has had luck with a specific throttle lock brand or type?

Thanks.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
On another note, my right hand got pretty numb during the ride, and I was wondering if anyone has had luck with a specific throttle lock brand or type?
I have a vista cruise throttle lock. It requires a slight modification to work on the ST1300, but once installed, it works well for an occasional hand stretch. I've also used to to wave with my right hand to other motorcyclists as I pass them.

For long highway trips, I also have Cramp Buster. It's not a panacea, but it helps when the throttle is being held more or less steady.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #

Thanks.
My new to me '04 ST1300 came with a Throttlemeister throttle lock. I like the look of the black and chrome bar ends and the functionality for taking the strain out of cruising at a reasonably constant speed. It soon becomes second nature to adjust the amount of friction to counter the throttle return spring so I can make minor speed adjustments to compensate for changes in road elevation.

Last edited:
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I just finished another 1000mile rally in 20 hours riding,,, and I was surprised to have very little numbness in the throttle hand. Credit goes to my PO's,, who installed some kind of silicone gel grip covers,, an S.O.S. style throttle lock,,, and the wrist saver lever. Towards the end,,, my muscles started cramping. Since the throttle lock needs some adjusting,,, it would not stay on by itself. But it actually worked out ok like that,, as I could keep it engaged with my thumb,,, while stretching the hand and fingers and wrist. Was not as good for the rest of my right arm and shoulder though. Thank goodness the ST is such a smooth bike. My 900 and 1000 CB's have a lot more buzz in the grips, pegs and seat,,, Cat'

Thanks.

Top Bottom