What is your minimum clear following distance?

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
This is a boring video but the first part shows the distance I allow during light traffic and the last part in congested traffic.

[video=youtube_share;iDvxwXhyaII]https://youtu.be/iDvxwXhyaII[/video]

Bike
91-ST1100 & PC800
STOC #
I would love to go 25 during rush hour I always do the 1- 1 thousand 2- 2 thousand 3-thousand routine
and to remove the ones following to close..... I have for about 50 years had a pocket full of ball bearings
or marbles to flick over my shoulder that works very good.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I thought I was the only one to notice the Toyota Prius thing ... :D
I'll trade the Prius thing for the driver who brake for a green stop light.

Have ya noticed this??? Rolling down a straight away road... long distance ahead is a light, it's green. As traffic starts coming up to it the driver will put on th ebrakes, they are figuring it's about to go yellow. They want to be prepared so they don't run a red light.

Of course it occasionally happens they do see the yellow, then they are well prepared for the stop. I can hear them in the car justifing the habit to the passengers saying "See it was a good thing I was slowing down, it changed on us."

Yeas dip-stick... but if you would have stayed on the gas and driving the speed limit the whole time, you me and 3 more cars could have made it through before the light changed. :mad1:

Maybe it's just a mid-west thing. I asked around work and nobody knew what I was talking about... then a few days later a couple of people said "Guess what I saw last night when I was heading home. Here is some idiot hitting the brakes as we come up to a green light..."

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
Here is some idiot hitting the brakes as we come up to a green light..."
You think that's bad. I've had someone come to a complete stop in front of me on a four lane with a center turn lane in a 35 mph zone. The center turn lane had been occupied from the other direction and the car in front of me stopped in the left lane to wait for the center lane to clear. Good thing I wasn't following too close.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I would love to go 25 during rush hour I always do the 1- 1 thousand 2- 2 thousand 3-thousand routine
and to remove the ones following to close..... I have for about 50 years had a pocket full of ball bearings
or marbles to flick over my shoulder that works very good.
Fender washers and quarters work well also.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I'll trade the Prius thing for the driver who brake for a green stop light.

Have ya noticed this??? Rolling down a straight away road... long distance ahead is a light, it's green. As traffic starts coming up to it the driver will put on th ebrakes, they are figuring it's about to go yellow. They want to be prepared so they don't run a red light.

Of course it occasionally happens they do see the yellow, then they are well prepared for the stop. I can hear them in the car justifing the habit to the passengers saying "See it was a good thing I was slowing down, it changed on us."

Yeas dip-stick... but if you would have stayed on the gas and driving the speed limit the whole time, you me and 3 more cars could have made it through before the light changed. :mad1:

Maybe it's just a mid-west thing. I asked around work and nobody knew what I was talking about... then a few days later a couple of people said "Guess what I saw last night when I was heading home. Here is some idiot hitting the brakes as we come up to a green light..."
The green light thing is fairly new here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Every week I see someone come to a complete stop at green lights. Young, old, male, female...there doesn't seem to be a predictor for it.

Two other bothersome habits seem to be increasing since the first of the year....turning across traffic (ie: left turn from the far right lane) having had plenty of opportunity to move over in advance....and stopping 5-10 car lengths from the light or the car in front.

Just when you think humanity can't get any worse..............

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Things can ALWAYS get worse.
Yup, and they do.
I was behind a Prius today.....40 mph in a 55 zone, 2 lane road, no passing zone. As is prescribed by law, Slow moving vehicles may be passed on a double yellow as long as it safe to do(primarily to address farm vehicles-abundant in this area) but 15 under the limit qualifies as slow moving. So I did, I was rewarded with a blaring-actually a tinny beeping-horn, flashing of lights. and a finger out the window, all this occurred as I was pulling out for the pass.....then they saw the blue stripes........they stopped really quickly...they probably dropped their phone, they were texting.
School buses are a major worry for me around here. I've got kids, I stop for school buses, I understand it, I agree with it. However, the rules clearly state, and it's on the road test. Do not stop for an oncoming school bus, if you are on a divided or multi lane highway. This is because school buses cannot, and will not, accept or discharge a passenger on these types of roads, unless they are on the door side of the bus. I cannot tell you how many times I've been rolling along, seen an oncoming school bus hit the lights, and some idiot in front of me locks up the brakes trying to stop. I've seen several rear enders occur this way. I actually saw a vehicle stop for a school bus, on a major highway(read rural interstate) two lanes either way, with a guard rail. I assume the bus was having a mechanical issue, so it put on it's lights to warn following vehicles. The speed limit on that road is 70mph, actual speeds hover around 80-85.
NC has just started a crackdown on the highway slow movers, they have finally started writing tickets to those people. I can honestly say, that's a ticket I will never get......

Bike
2006 Honda st1300
I ride almost on top of the white line that way I am offset from traffic. I have a lower chance of being rear ended and a better position for passing between cars if necessary. I use the HOV lane almost exclusively.
I also ride close to the white stripe. I'm practically on it when I come to a stop. I want to have an escape route just in case. Too many people not paying attention while driving. Less likely to get rear ended also. But I give a 2 to 3 second distance between me and the vehicle in front.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
I also ride close to the white stripe. I'm practically on it when I come to a stop. I want to have an escape route just in case. Too many people not paying attention while driving. Less likely to get rear ended also. But I give a 2 to 3 second distance between me and the vehicle in front.
I ride almost on top of the white line that way I am offset from traffic. I have a lower chance of being rear ended and a better position for passing between cars if necessary. I use the HOV lane almost exclusively.
The few times my rear tire has slipped few inches over (while leaned in a curve) I was either on a tar snake or a painted line. Obviously traction is not as good on these surfaces. I know what you are doing, and understand you are not riding on the painted line - but be extra careful. If you have to stop quickly the white line could become your enemy quickly (ABS notwithstanding).

Top Bottom