Gotcha...what happens when you aren't paying attention!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
This happen to me this morning on my commute into work.

I was headed south and had just climbed the hill out of the Temecula Valley, doing about 78MPH. This little white car with two young women (who knows how young) came zipping by me like I was sitting still! (I guess between 90 & 95 mph). About 15 seconds after they flew by me we both spotted a CHP Truck on the left shoulder and it was coming back into traffic. We both slowed down and obviously, he didn't have radar on or he would have gotten them! The story doesn't end there... So all traffic around us has slowed to about 75mph and the CHP heads to the rightside lanes where a few trucks are rolling along. He looks them over and continues to the next truck.

We are now coming upon the exit for Mission road in Fallbrook and the CHP is in the far right (#4) lane, like he's getting off or something and there are several other vehicles in front of him and to his leftside...WHEN out of nowhere, here comes the two chicks in their little white car, back up to speed (90mph or so) in the #2 lane! It's like they thought the CHP was off the freeway, BUT HE WASN'T! He pulls over to the #3 lane, the chickies still don't see him (no brakes or anything) and before you can say "Gothca", lights come on and he's right behind them! Nailed them good! Boy, what a BIG Mistake she made! :rofl1:

I've been laughing all morning over that! I might even have it on video, if my cameras were working at the time...

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
How many times have we all seen stupidity like that and wondered where the CHP's are? Good to know karma still works. I'll bet the cop was just shaking his head in astonishment

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Bike
VStrom 650
SS, of course they didn't see the CHP, how can they text, Facebook, Tweet, Snapchat, make a call, set the GPS and who knows even communicate with each other; and still have time to see the Scuffers.
Keep em peeled, ya all.
Upt'North.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I'd be surprised if a cop can be surprised by the antics of dumb drivers.[/QUOTE]

This is SoCal, dumb has plumbed new depths here!!!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Upt' North said:
SS, of course they didn't see the CHP, how can they text, Facebook, Tweet, Snapchat, make a call, set the GPS
Even before there was texting et all there were still drivers who didn't see John Law and still got nicked. There have always been and will always be distracted drivers. Well until autonomous cars are ubiquitous. :rofl1:

On the other side of the karma coin I can't be the only one here with a slightly misspent youth who let their motorcycle to their thinking for them and may have earned and received written confirmation of not being perfect. The cops are great when the catch the Other Guy.

When it's us… no so much. Then they're just donut-munching overzealous thugs with anger issues high on caffeine and sugar.

In spite of the girls poor situational awareness I'll say in general speed is not a top primary collision factor.

Bike
2006 Honda st1300
SS, of course they didn't see the CHP, how can they text, Facebook, Tweet, Snapchat, make a call, set the GPS and who knows even communicate with each other; and still have time to see the Scuffers.
Keep em peeled, ya all.
Upt'North.
You forgot makeup. A couple months ago I witnessed this woman putting eyeliner on with the visor down all while driving 70 mph. Saw a guy driving while reading a newspaper last year.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Even before there was texting et all there were still drivers who didn't see John Law and still got nicked. There have always been and will always be distracted drivers. Well until autonomous cars are ubiquitous. :rofl1:

On the other side of the karma coin I can't be the only one here with a slightly misspent youth who let their motorcycle to their thinking for them and may have earned and received written confirmation of not being perfect. The cops are great when the catch the Other Guy.

When it's us… no so much. Then they're just donut-munching overzealous thugs with anger issues high on caffeine and sugar.

In spite of the girls poor situational awareness I'll say in general speed is not a top primary collision factor.
Oh yeah, I got my share of tickets when I was younger. Knock on wood, the last one I got was in November 1975!

Bike
03 st 1300
I know this comment is a lil mean but when we spent a week in CA in Jan drove the whole state north to south and back. 90 was about normal on the interstates and it was full throttle then hard on the brakes from stop light to stop light the whole time. I had two different people actually
have me roll down my window and tell me that did I know I was holding up traffic driving ten over. I just rolled my window back up and when the light went green I carried on. True story.

Bike
VStrom 650
ST GUI,
Couldn't agree more about speed being contributory to RTC's, or not. A lot of attention is given to speed enforcement for one reason, it's easy.
It's a lot more time consuming to enforce someone being a knucklehead.
Keep safe ya all. And stay away from little white cars doing 95.
Upt'North.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I'll say in general speed is not a top primary collision factor.
I agree. A bigger factor is speed differential... where you have some drivers going well over and others at or even under the speed limit.

And the roads that have ridiculous and arbitrary speed limits make it even worse. For example, there are sections of highways around here that are very crowded at rush hours. The powers that be decided that the speed limit should be reduced from 65 to 55 in those sections. Almost no one pays attention if traffic is moving, but the very, very few that do cause frustration and an increase of aggressive driving. It's the law of unintended consequences, but I guess they can't raise the speed limit back up... after all, speed kills.

Top Bottom