Convert US to Metric

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
This is a random question based on owning a US-spec bike in Canada.
My Tiger 955i is from the US so is in mph. I've adapted a bicycle speedometer to give me my speed in KmH. That said I wish the main speedo were in KpH.
I see lots of good deals on ST's in the US. Is is possible to convert from mph to Kph?

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
All ST's will do km. Look in manual, it's something like hold down Trip button or? Not hard at all if I could remember.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
You didn't mention whether you were referring to an ST1100 or an ST1300 but in both cases the speedometer is analog. In Canada the primary scale is KPH with the secondary scale (smaller numerals) being MPH. In the U.S. it is the opposite. Because it is not digital it cannot be switched from KPH to MPH or vice-versa. You can change the speedo to a KPH primary scale or do something like put P-Touch stickers on it to indicate the KPH. Or you can ignore it all together and use a GPS for your speed which is what many people do on the ST1300 because the speedo indicates about 8% above actual speed anyway.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
You didn't mention whether you were referring to an ST1100 or an ST1300 but in both cases the speedometer is analog. In Canada the primary scale is KPH with the secondary scale (smaller numerals) being MPH. In the U.S. it is the opposite. Because it is not digital it cannot be switched from KPH to MPH or vice-versa. You can change the speedo to a KPH primary scale or do something like put P-Touch stickers on it to indicate the KPH. Or you can ignore it all together and use a GPS for your speed which is what many people do on the ST1300 because the speedo indicates about 8% above actual speed anyway.
I would likely just go with another bicycle speedometer as it's worked brilliantly on my Triumph.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Bike
R1200rt
This is a random question based on owning a US-spec bike in Canada.
My Tiger 955i is from the US so is in mph. I've adapted a bicycle speedometer to give me my speed in KmH. That said I wish the main speedo were in KpH.
I see lots of good deals on ST's in the US. Is is possible to convert from mph to Kph?
WILL THIS WORK??[video=youtube;OxEeGcOzd1s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxEeGcOzd1s[/video]

Bike
2010 ST1300
Here's a question and a solution? Might a speedo healer provide enough of a multiplier (correction) so that the speedo and odo are both reading in km despite the card saying its mph?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yes to the speedohealer. I have one on my bike set up to make the odo accurate and the speedo is around 2 mph high at 70.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
You said that your tiger is fully analog. The SpeedoHealer will correct a discrepancy in the speedometer indication and introduce an equivalent discrepancy in the odometer. It will not convert MPH to KMPH on the display of an analog speedometer. It may convert the speedometer signal so that the speedometer will indicate a numerical 80 when you are moving at 50 MPH- 50 MPH being 80 KMPH. However, when looking at the speedometer that 80 number would be indicated on the MPH scale. I don't know enough about the SpeedoHealer to know if it has this functionality but I am pretty sure that it cannot move the numbers around on an analog speedometer display but that would not matter as long as you know that what you are reading is KMPH. Does the SpeedoHealer do this conversion?

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
As far as I can tell from the SpeedHealer site it provides "Display Unit Conversion"
From the instruction manual it says "If you wish to use MPH to Km/h conversion, you have to program +60.9% (1.609 multiplier) on top of the calibration value you need. However, keep in mind that your speedometer’s maximum reading will not be changed. E.g. a speedo with 186 MPH highest reading will not be able to show over 186 Km/h after conversion."

Which makes total sense. It basically makes needle move such that 20 Mph is becomes 20 Kmh. Unfortunately the Tiger speedometer 'only' reads to 140 Mph so traveling at 100 Kmh (60 mph) would be near the limit of the speedometer.
Have a look at the photo for context. You can also see how faint the inner markings are for the metric speeds. Totally impossible to read in the daylight.

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom