Boots Boots... really?

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I did not have dedicated touring boots and have used heavy hikers up to this point. In my previous motorcycle life (been out of riding for a bit) I was a definite Squid until I got the ST. But, I had squid bots with sliders. I only road the ST a year before storing it. Because of my Ricker Racer past I had gotten into the poor touring rider habit of dropping my foot to find the road and judge my angle in a corner.

So... sitting at NEWSTOC with ToddC and we're having a discussion on boots. He tells me how he used to wear hikers and used to drop his foot, until he wore through the boot in a corner. As we're talking, MV_Dave is starting to shake his head side to side a little when he hears me say “foot dropâ€.

Todd goes on to explain that along with boots I need to change my riding style. I need to get up on my toe in the tight corners. Now MV_Dave is starting to nod his head in agreement and explains the different styles of Squid riding versus constant speed corners, which are actually (most times) faster.

Forward a week and I come back from a quick jaunt and notice my foot is cold. Sure enough… I have a ToddC hole in my hiker! Talk to my wife, get approval, and ordered new boots for Father's Day (and got 15% off from the local STealership).

I just went for a ride and I thank them both for their advice. :yr1:

Not only is the footbed better for the pegs (hikers always put you in the void of the tread) the boots move forward and back effortlessly without the cramping of my legs I got before as I went onto the taller lugged tread of the hiker. The ankle support is far superior even though I only got a mid-height boot because I sometimes wear a leg brace.

After almost dropping my toe in the first sweeper I moved back on my pegs, up on my toes, which made hand steering much more intuitive through the corner. It felt incredibly stable. Wow… you can teach old dogs new tricks.

Thanks again to the friendships on the list that have made riding better for me. I took a pole of everyone in the room at the time of the conversation to see what kind of boots they used. It was unanimous… Alpinestars. Various models for various riders, but that was enough for me. The experience of the liST should be headed.

So, a transformed riding style and much more comfortable feet… and I thought it was great before!!!

:dr11: HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!! :dr11:

Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
I'd seen ToddC's hikers on many occasions before he purchased the MC boots. He had surely worn them through and I always wondered when he was going to start scraping his toes. I've been thinking about buying some MC boots ever since but just haven't pulled the trigger. Maybe it's time...

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Ya Dale,
. My toe dragging days are over. Glad you like the new boots....!
It was at WESTOC two years ago when I wore a beveled hole in the outboard corners of my boot toes..... Even us old guys learn after a while....

ToddC

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Boots, like most gear, are best purpose-built for the job.

Unless you're doing this, there's not a whole lot of reason to hang a toe off the peg anyway. :)
fingerdown.jpg

--Mark

Bike
2010 ST1300
Boots, like most gear, are best purpose-built for the job.

Unless you're doing this, there's not a whole lot of reason to hang a toe off the peg anyway. :)
fingerdown.jpg

--Mark
And, if you're doing that, there is now no need to drop your toe off the peg. Let your fingers do the walking..... Finger boots anyone?

OP
OP
Dale_I

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was actually quite surprised at the lean you can get into a corner with the ST. It just feels wrong somehow... that something this heavy can do it. Not only do it, but do it with comfort. I was looking on Youtube at some videos of motorcycle agility courses. Amazing what an ST can do in the proper hands.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
on the subject of touring or riding motorcycle boots, theres much more to the need of boots than dragging toes in a corner. (unless thats all you do) With much disappointment with many styles of boots over the years I found that spending serious money for serious riding boots worked way better than "economizing" and having cold wet feet on a long road trip. I paid $360 for my Sidi On road GoreTex boots a few years ago and have enjoyed thousands of miles riding in comfort and safety.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
So what is everyone looking for in a boot? I don't worry about toe sliders myself. How about:
- Width? (I've got wide feet.)
- Height, or the calf size? (My calves have gotten *fat* due to past DVT issues, and I have difficulty closing tall boots.)
- Low, smooth toe box? (Able to fit toe in under shifter.)
- Too Big Lugs? (Can the boot slide for and aft on the footpeg? The ST isn't a dual sport, unless I get that S10 dmulk is advocating.)
- Waterproof? (At home I can avoid most rain, but not on a tour.)

I'm still using my old Oxtar Matrix boots, but the writing is on the wall for a new pair in the future.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've got some Timberland hiking boots that are just over the ankle with 2' long laces (WTW??) that I triple knot.

I think I want boots that zip or maybe with covered laces and definitely want ankle protection. I don't know that I want calf-high boots but maybe if they look sharp… :grin:

Most of the other stuff isn't needed by me but might be nice to have. Waterproofing for instance would be nice but I try very hard to avoid wet weather.

OP
OP
Dale_I

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I started by asking guys with a lot of miles. They go through what works and doesn't and usually end up with solutions to most issues. When I asked, everyone present at NEWSTOC wore Alpinestars. I took that as a serious recommendation. When you have 8 to 10 guys from various parts of the country and Canada wearing the same thing. So, I started there and googled various other models and it turns out the Alpinestars were very well respected.

I didn't want full boots because I sometimes need to wear a metal brace for my left leg. I tried some SMX-1 that were more like high top tennis shoes. They come with or without toe sliders. I decided against them because I wanted more ankle support and a higher protected area. The low coverage toward the rear of the shoe had me worried about water dripping in. The Ridge model was the middle between the shoe and the full boot.

Then the decision was between waterproof lined or air ventilated. Apart from NEWSTOC and the brief freak hail/snowstorm, I don't really go out in the wet. However, I do find myself riding on hot days a much larger percentage. So, I went with the Ridge 2 Air. After a few days and short rides I can say I really like them.

The ventilated models will NOT be water resistant. However, after talking with Al at NEWSTOC (he has the Ridge Waterproof) his only comment was that they can make your feet hot. He is in poor weather all the time (and much colder too). I may pick up some GoreTex sox or something. But, they are only $150... so if you pick up both a waterproof and air model you still spent less than the high end breathable water proof.

Another feature I liked about the air vented model was without the inner liner, the entry into the boot is incredibly easy.

If you have wide feet, you will want to look for wide sizing. A lot of European boots will not be available. I adjusted my shifter slightly to the boot, so that wasn't a worry for me. I love the smooth and single height foot bed. It is a little less grippy on pure gravel. On the street it feels more stable than my old hikers.

I would say for 99 percent of my excursions, they will be perfect. I already like how quickly I can get in/out of them. 1/4 of the time compared to hiker laces.

On longer rides where I might run into rain, I may opt for covers if I can find something quality.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
So, I went with the Ridge 2 Air... without the inner liner, the entry into the boot is incredibly easy.
I like 'em. They look like a worthwhile option and only $150! Could you elaborate on the inner liner? What's it do / is it designed to be removed / what's the boot like without t?

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I was actually quite surprised at the lean you can get into a corner with the ST.
It's been pointed out that the shape of the stock mufflers on the 1300 is not driven solely by aesthetic considerations. They are triangular, with hypotenuse out and angled down, for a reason.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dale_I

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I like 'em. They look like a worthwhile option and only $150! Could you elaborate on the inner liner? What's it do / is it designed to be removed / what's the boot like without t?
I might have used the incorrect terminology. There is a membrane used in the waterproof boot that is not removable. The air ventilated model does not have this membrane.

When you unlatch the boot, one large velcro flap and one velcro buckle, the split in the boot opens wider in the air model. In the waterproof option there is a membrane stretching across the opening.

I hope I explained that OK. Most of the online stores have video reviews of both the Ridge and it's bigger full size brother, the Roam.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I hope I explained that OK.
I think I got it. The Ridge 2 is easier to don and doff because it lacks the waterproof membrane?

This is fine by me because water and me don't roll. Fine in the tub shower or glass but not in the air or on the road.

Thanks for the lead on this boot. Until now there hasn't been anything to my liking for under $200+.

ibike2havefun said:
It's been pointed out that the shape of the stock mufflers on the 1300 is not driven solely by aesthetic considerations.
Personally I thought they weren't given any aesthetic consideration whatsoever. But I concede that aesthetics are subjective. I was not a fan of them when I decided to get an s-t. The rest of the bike compensated for their looks (well maybe not the repliracer tank). But it's grown on me tremendously truth be told.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I've owned two pairs of Ridge waterproof boots.
The first pair didn't live up to their waterproof claim after about a year's worth of all-season riding. The local Alpinestar rep upheld the 100% waterproof guarantee and replaced them no questions asked.
The second pair have been absolutely waterproof and are quite comfortable all day long.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I also have the Ridge Waterproof Boots - 2015. And these are my second pair of Ridge Boots. The first were the very first gen Ridge boot with the zipper on both sides. Both have been very good about keeping my feet dry. And I like the not so tall boot anyway. Plenty of top to get and stay under my Frogg Toggs and keep the water out. I do ride in rain, and even sometimes snow, in hot and cold, and these are working fine for me in all weather.

I have never put out my foot in a turn, being afraid of catching my foot on some irregularity in the pavement and causing injury. In fact, when I do lean enough to scrape a peg (while riding any bike including my former Gold Wing and ST1100 as well as my CTX1300) I have learned when the peg is just about the touch down and when I am about to feel the stutter as the tip of the peg scrapes the pavement. Sometimes I have lifted my foot straight up off the peg to avoid that feeling but squeeze the tank with the knees and slide over just a little to the down side on the seat to maintain control. I never reach out with my fingers to touch, though I won't claim I wasn't tempted a time or two. I know I am not an aggressive rider but that doesn't mean I don't ever lean the bike enough to scrape something. :)

OP
OP
Dale_I

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Who is "The Man"? :bow1: ToddC!!!
He got his for $20 at a garage sale. Perfect size. Her husband died and she figured they were just butt ugly boots.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
He got his for $20 at a garage sale. Perfect size. Her husband died and she figured they were just butt ugly boots.
So what your suggesting and what Todd may have done, is search the obituaries for ... hmm... this is digressing I think, back to focusing on boots, not boot hill...

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Who is "The Man"? :bow1: ToddC!!!
You got the wrong guy dude....!!! That was John from CA. Found his at a garage sale... perfect fit too.

I got $20 off at best.......still well over $100.....

ToddC

OP
OP
Dale_I

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I remember the story, but the details may be fuzzy from the refreshment! I plead the 5th.

Top Bottom