2017 IBR. The BIG one

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Here's an update on where to keep up with the IBR rally, straight from the head IBA cheese himself.

The great march to the start of the 2017 IBR is underway. All our overseas riders bikes are here, and Felipe from Mexico crossed the border today for his trip to the start line. The first IBR report will be Friday evening central time.

The Spotwalla viewer is already up and running if you want to watch riders as they head up to the start point.

https://spotwalla.com/locationViewer.php?id=429

The direct link for the daily reports will be at (it goes to the same location as the one previously posted):

www.ironbutt.com/ibryear.cfm?y=2017

Shuey

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
The Spotwalla viewer is already up and running if you want to watch riders as they head up to the start point.

https://spotwalla.com/locationViewer.php?id=429
Shuey,
Each rider has an ID number on that map (your link). Do these numbers stay consistent with each rider for the course of the IBR? So, if we were able to figure out which rider corresponds to one of the numbers (e.g. Felipe is coming up from Mexico, so if we picked one of the southern numbers and guessed it was him) would we be able to follow him with that number throughout the rally? Or do they shuffle the numbers daily or weekly?

Peter

OP
OP
OhioDeere

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
They shuffle the numbers. A couple of times A day I believe?

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Rider numbers changed . . . how often?

Well, the IBA says they change frequently. In reviewing the video after my 2011 and 2013 rides, I seem to recall my number only changed after checkpoints, but . . . that was several years ago allowing plenty of time in which wiser heads have had time to refine the effort.

Whether you can follow a specific rider or not, it's fascinating for me to watch and try to guess what the riders who aren't following the pack are heading for. Sometimes, also, when I see a rider direction make a major change on the video I can guess it was a bonus location and zoom in on google maps or earth and try to figure out what the bonus was.

Lot's of info in the "Daily Updates" that will help make sense out of seeing where riders have gone or are going.

Shuey

Bike
2004 ST1300
1st of the daily reports have been released and as always is very interesting to read. One of the participants had his bike at the dealership to do some service and they let it fall off of the lift upside down.:eek: Not the way to get free advertising.

Bike
2010 ST1300
How can you have $6000 worth of damage from dropping a bike a few feet off a lift? Plus labor? Never mind, I'm not sure I want to know. Why doesn't the dealership just give the guy a new bike?

P.S. Yes, it is a way to get free advertising.

How can you have $6000 worth of damage from dropping a bike a few feet off a lift? Plus labor? Never mind, I'm not sure I want to know. Why doesn't the dealership just give the guy a new bike?

P.S. Yes, it is a way to get free advertising.
Reportedly landed upside down on the instruments. Saw one report that he was offered a new bike off the showroom floor, but he chose instead to just take the necessary parts from the new bike. I'd speculate that this was quicker/easier than moving undamaged modifications from the damaged bike.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Reportedly landed upside down on the instruments. Saw one report that he was offered a new bike off the showroom floor, but he chose instead to just take the necessary parts from the new bike. I'd speculate that this was quicker/easier than moving undamaged modifications from the damaged bike.
Ok, Stuff happens. And I meant my comment "yes it is a way to get free advertising" to mean that the dealership got a LOT of free advertising by dropping the bike. But if they offered him a new bike from their inventory, then THAT'S a great way to get positive free advertising.

Bike
2010 ST1300
How often do the SPOT transmitters update? Or more to the point, how often does the IBR map show new positions for each transmitter?

How accurate are the positions? When a flag locates, say, #151 off the road (number picked at random), is that just the standard positional error? If I look at the motel where all the bikes are clustered right now, some are perched on the roof (obviously not). Again, positional error?

Why are some of the flags green and others orange?

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Looking at the spotwalla, I'm assuming not all the riders are at the start yet. Some instructions of how to use the spotwalla features would be cool, can't seem to do anything except watch the loop

ELC

Bike
2012 ST1300A
Hi Shuey,

How do you interpret the rally poster?

In 2015 it was pretty obvious where we were going. I'm not sure about this one.

Zoo's and museums?

How often do the SPOT transmitters update? Or more to the point, how often does the IBR map show new positions for each transmitter?

How accurate are the positions? When a flag locates, say, #151 off the road (number picked at random), is that just the standard positional error? If I look at the motel where all the bikes are clustered right now, some are perched on the roof (obviously not). Again, positional error?

Why are some of the flags green and others orange?
Part of the odd positioning may be error, but I suspect many of the rooftop locations just show that the rider has taken the locator into the hotel room.

There is a timer at the top of the Spotwalla page - seems to be refreshing the locations every 5 minutes.

Orange flags are tracking moving riders.

Green flags appear when a rider stops, but has indicated they are "OK". Intended to reassure family and friends that a lengthy stop is intentional and not due to breakdown or accident. Obviously, many riders do not remember to change their status from "tracking".

There are also flags to show a need for help and to send a "custom" indication. Clicking the flag can give a little more info.

I need to apologize for jumping into the middle of the discussion without an introduction. I've lurked here for the past three IBR's as I've found it to be one of the best sites to follow the Rally. I don't ride nearly enough to be an IB rider, but I do enjoy watching the action.

Last edited:

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Interviews are being given as a part of the program this year. Here's three you might be interested in.

There's plenty more already posted up as you'll see in the YouTube side bar . . . fascinating insights.

C.K. Lackey - 2017 First Timer - Striving for a 3 Digit Number
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SuJxIJJRcg&feature=youtu.be

Mark Crane #371 - Multiple IBR Experienced Rider - One More Time . . . right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0BLBp4qcEM

Dylan Spink, Hopeless Class - 2017 First Time AND Hopeless Class
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gETVenfPdU

Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Here's Kirsten Talken Spaulding's personal blog. She's an IBR veteran, a great rider and one of the nicest women I've ever met.

For those who haven't seen this year's rally poster . . . it's in here too. Can you guess the rally's theme?

https://ktsridin.blogspot.com/2017/06/dialing-it-in.html?platform=hootsuite&m=1

Shuey

PS: Here's some pics as things start to come together at the start point. Special thanks to Rick Corwine.

https://rickcorwine.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2017-IBR-Start/n-6Qt322/i-zTCrxGH

Last edited:
Top Bottom