2017 IBR. The BIG one

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Some of our fellow riders are in the "BIG ONE" this year.

Are you guys ready?
Can we get some spot tracker info to follow along?

I would expect anyone in the western part of Ohio or eastern Indiana or southern Michigan to give me a shout if you need me. Heck anywhere really!

For the last 5 IBR 's I've intently watched the daily updates and spot maps on IBR website.

For those that haven't seen this. Get on board.

This is the baddest Dudes on motorcycles !

Bike
2010 ST1300
Is there a list of entrants? Who from this website is doing the IBR 17?

OP
OP
OhioDeere

OhioDeere

Bike
06 ST1300
The riders will start Monday morning 26th. The IBR won't officially publish info till then. For good reason. I'm sure a few will let us know some details before then. The start and finish is in Mn.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
2017 Iron Butt Rally

Exciting times ahead beginning June 26 at 10:00am, CDT.

First, in answer to the question about getting SPOT Tracker info from participants - not generally available.
Why? One: if a rider's SPOT data becomes public during the rally, it's ground for disqualification. Two: public knowledge could lead to bonus locations being blocked by spectators or riders hampered in other ways. If you have a personal friend who's riding, maybe they'll share their SPOT info with you after your "cross my heart and hope to die" promise not to leak it. When I rode, I gave my SPOT data to my wife and my emergency contact. That was it.

Second. Want to follow along. I'm not sure who the IBA commentator is this year, but beginning on June 26th there will be daily reports that are usually interesting and somewhat humorous. Note that the commentator doesn't usually know any more about the bonus locations than we do, but . . . they will be a member of the crew running "the show" and in the middle of what's going on. Past IBR commentaries are fascinating. Here's where to look starting Friday, June 26th.
http://www.ironbutt.com/ibryear.cfm?y=2017

Third. Here's the schedule and locations.
IBR Rally locations

START WEEKEND 6/24 - 6/25

Marriott Minneapolis West
9960 Wayzata Blvd
St. Louis Park, Minnesota 55426
952-544-4400

Monday, June 26
Motorcycle Impound 8am
Rally Start 10am

CHECKPOINT 1 INFORMATION -
Wednesday, June 28, 8pm - 10pm
Courtyard Dallas Allen at the John Q. Hammons Center
210 East Stacy Road
Allen, TX 75002

Penalty points accrue at 8:00:01pm
Scoring opens at 5pm
Leg 2 Bonuses distributed at 4am, June 29

CHECKPOINT 2 INFORMATION -
Saturday, July 1, 8pm - 10pm
Courtyard DallasAllen at the John Q. Hammons Center
210 East Stacy Road
Allen, TX 75002

Penalty points accrue at 8:00:01pm
Scoring opens at 5pm
Leg 3 Bonuses distributed at 4am, July 2

FINISH - Friday, July 7, 10 am
Marriott Minneapolis West
Penalty points accrue at 8:00:01am
Scoring opens at 5am
Finishers' Banquet 6:30pm

Start/Finish Hotel Info:

You can check for a reservation at the Marriott, but currently
the host hotel is sold out Friday and Saturday of start weekend
but there is a good alternative. The La Quinta Inn, just a short walk from the Marriott, has
offered us a great rate of $99 for a King. It is a very short three-minute
walk, only a tenth of a mile. Breakfast and internet are included so no need
to fret here, it's all good!!

Same probably holds true for the finish.

La Quinta Inn & Suites Minneapolis-Minnetonka
10420 Wayzata Blvd
Minnetonka, MN 55305

As you all know, the Iron Butt Rally is always exciting and, if the past is
any indication, I'm sure we'll have a lot of spectators at the start and finish.
The start is awesome, 100 or so riders all out of the parking lot in under 5 minutes.
It's also great to welcome riders as they arrive at checkpoints and the finish . . . just
stay out of the way!

I hope this is helpful,

Shuey
IBA#423

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
FWIW, I'm going to show up at the Allen, TX checkpoints on Thursday and Saturday evenings to watch the guys roll in. Kendoo, one of the regulars on here, is participating.

Did they not post the Spotwalla link last time showing all the riders with the participants info hidden?

OP
OP
OhioDeere

OhioDeere

Bike
06 ST1300
Did they not post the Spotwalla link last time showing all the riders with the participants info hidden?
Yes. IBR website will have a live map with the guys spotwella tracks. And yes. Their info will be hidden.

Like past years. It's fun too watch where their headed and always that one rider way out in No where with all of us wondering " where's he headed"???

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Good luck, and to anyone from the board who's in this: Be safe dang it!

The IBR... and all endurance rallies like this are fun to be in and amazing to watch. There's iron riding efforts and well thought strategy behind the wins.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
The spotwalla tracks were shown, but the names were removed so you couldn't tell who was who. Don't want anyone to gain a competitive advantage.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Thanks for starting this thread, Doug. I've been anxiously waiting for this year's rally since, as others have said, I have become a junkie over the past several rallies - checking the Spotwalla page before leaving for work, refreshing when I get to work, and reading the daily reports and a thread on the FJR forum. Having said all this, I assumed the rally started in July so I'm happy to learn I don't have much time to wait.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Some of our fellow riders are in the "BIG ONE" this year.

Are you guys ready?
Can we get some spot tracker info to follow along?

I would expect anyone in the western part of Ohio or eastern Indiana or southern Michigan to give me a shout if you need me. Heck anywhere really!

For the last 5 IBR 's I've intently watched the daily updates and spot maps on IBR website.

For those that haven't seen this. Get on board.

This is the baddest Dudes on motorcycles !
Doug,
I have your number in my phone. Hopefully if I call you it will be because I'm bored on some lame interstate and not because I need help, LOL. I don't know if I'll ever be ready for this, but I am looking forward to ripping around the US and Canada for a couple weeks. Regardless of what happens, it will be a memorable vacation for sure. I'm secretly hoping for some big point bonuses in the Pacific Northwest (I've never ridden there) or maybe the Canadian Rockies!!

OP
OP
OhioDeere

OhioDeere

Bike
06 ST1300
Doug,
I have your number in my phone. Hopefully if I call you it will be because I'm bored on some lame interstate and not because I need help, LOL. I don't know if I'll ever be ready for this, but I am looking forward to ripping around the US and Canada for a couple weeks. Regardless of what happens, it will be a memorable vacation for sure. I'm secretly hoping for some big point bonuses in the Pacific Northwest (I've never ridden there) or maybe the Canadian Rockies!!
Ken
I have your number. You call and I'll be there!! I'm in Maine over the 4th. However don't let that stop you. You call and we'll make big things happen quickly. Especially if you need help! lol!

Can't wait to watch you guys!
Good luck and like posted above. SAFETY FIRST!

I may throw you a text or two just to see how your doing!!

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Maybe someone is crazy enough to go for a Prudhoe Bay bonus! :rofl1:
That won't be possible this year unless one of the checkpoints is optional. The first 2 legs are short and the 3rd leg would allow us to maybe hit Hyder and not much else.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Ken
I have your number. You call and I'll be there!! I'm in Maine over the 4th. However don't let that stop you. You call and we'll make big things happen quickly. Especially if you need help! lol!

Can't wait to watch you guys!
Good luck and like posted above. SAFETY FIRST!

I may throw you a text or two just to see how your doing!!
Thanks!!

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
That won't be possible this year unless one of the checkpoints is optional. The first 2 legs are short and the 3rd leg would allow us to maybe hit Hyder and not much else.

That's how the evil rallymaster lures them in - make the later checkpoints optional if they collect a particular bonus, and make it worth 1,000,000 points. Of course later on in the rally even larger bonii can be offered, rendering the first option a looser. :mad:

Top Bottom