Tank Removal

South Central PA above the Mason Dixon line
Bike
2012 ST1300
Checked here and cannot find what I need. I decided to get what I need to do the Heat Fix listed by Don Ferrario. The tank is up but is obvious to me that just holding the tank up on the prop is not enough to get the job done. For those of you getting the air box out is it necessary to remove the tank fully or do you remove that front tether/ground wire from the front and turn it around and lay it on some towels?
If the tank has to be removed can someone let me know what I am looking at?

Thanks,
Walt

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
There is a specific way to lift and support the tank as well as remove it so as to not stress the joint hose that connects the upper tank to the lower one. That is not a hose to stress or tear.

Google search 'ST1300 gas tank removal' including ST-Owners in the phrase and you should get plenty of search hits.

Last edited:

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
The airbox will come out with the tank still on. The wire tether keeps you from lifting the tank too high and tearing the hose that connects the upper tank to the lower tank. Do not unhook it. There is a prop rod snapped into the rear inner fender on the left side under the passenger seat that holds the tank up while you work under it.

Depending on the age of the bike it may just be in your best interest to order a new hose and replace it while you are in there. They tend to get brittle and crack or tear. This is usually found on the next fill up after having had the tank raised. Of course you now have a full upper tank til it all leaks out.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom