Final Drive Case Fill Plug threads snapped off

Bike
2006 Honda st1300
Just completed first oil change on my 06 ST1300. Started on the final drive oil change. Drained the hypoid gear oil and replaced drain plug. Attempted to remove the fill plug bolt and the threads broke off from the fill plug and I had to use a screwdriver to unthread it from the drive case. My question is, where would I find a new fill plug bolt? I'm attempting to JB weld it. I'm assuming that the last time the drive oil was changed by the previous owner they weakened it when installing it. I didn't use hardly any pressure when removing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Those have a habit of snapping off when the o-ring is not lubricated, damaged, missing, or over torqued! You can find new ones at any dealership, or any motorcycle scrap yard!
If you go to a parts fish, and enter the part number in, then click on what other models use that bolt, you will :rofl1: when you see that it is a Honda CB750 Valve tappet inspection cap.
Also used on just about every Honda ever built.
I would not get JB anywhere near it, as you may get some on the threads and screw up the driveshaft assembly.
This is the part number you need (12361-300-000) It is called a cap tappet adjusting hole. You will also need a new o-ring (91302-001-020).
Hope this helps.
Igofar

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I too had one fail on my 1100. I was fortunate enough to have a spare final drive lying around, so robbed Peter to pay Paul! I did note the above info about the valve tappet cap!

OP
OP
Bike
2006 Honda st1300
Found it. Its a VALVE ADJ. CAP part number 12361-300-000. Just ordered one for $9 off ebay with a new o-ring.

Last edited:

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Those have a habit of snapping off when the o-ring is not lubricated, damaged, missing, or over torqued! You can find new ones at any dealership, or any motorcycle scrap yard!
If you go to a parts fish, and enter the part number in, then click on what other models use that bolt, you will :rofl1: when you see that it is a Honda CB750 Valve tappet inspection cap.
Also used on just about every Honda ever built.
I would not get JB anywhere near it, as you may get some on the threads and screw up the driveshaft assembly.
This is the part number you need (12361-300-000) It is called a cap tappet adjusting hole. You will also need a new o-ring (91302-001-020).
Hope this helps.
Igofar
You hope that helps? Geez could you be a little more informative please? LOL!!! Dude you're a wealth of knowledge. I read your posts just for the advice.

Found it. Its a VALVE ADJ. CAP part number 12361-300-000.
Pay attention to the man with a flounder for an avatar. ;^)

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Note: good practice is to always remove the full plug first. That way if you can't get it off, you're not left stranded with an empty gear case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Found it. Its a VALVE ADJ. CAP part number 12361-300-000. Just ordered one for $9 off ebay with a new o-ring.
It's good you got the O Ring too. What I believe happens is few people replace the O ring P/N 91302-001-020 regularly as Honda recommends. After a few years the rubber is crushed down and the cap screws down to metal-to-metal contact with the final drive case instead of rubber O ring to metal case and they over torque the cap which calls for only 9 ft-lbs. I think changing it every time it's removed is overkill but I replace mine every 2nd or 3rd time. The same thing happens with the rubber sealing bushings P/N 90543-MV9-670 in the valve covers. Every so often someone snaps one of the fixing bolts off because it tightens metal to metal and doesn't draw up with increasing resistance cuz the rubber bushing is crushed and no longer resilent.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
The speargun is 48 inches long (wood) 72 lb california halibut.
The picture was taken just after I finished bleeding him.

Top Bottom