% life after wear bars PR4GT

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
While technically true.. if that .0% make sa measurable difference in heat then you are probably also measuring your drag ratio with arms and elbows tucked in.
I'm calling BS... for the casual MC rider like most of us are... the smaller diameter will not generate any more signifigant heat to contribute to faster wear.
You might be correct.......but that same heat has much less mass to dissipate it over. The rubber is much thinner. Rubber gets hotter and breaks down quicker.Cut open the next rear tire you replace. Not much left at change time. A simple sharp rock or broken glass can stop you...... and maybe your riding partners........ With not enough rubber to plug n go....

For the small money savings you gain by stretching the last Mile from a tire, it does not make much sense to me for safety and convenience sake. Just my two cents......

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
the smaller diameter will not generate any more signifigant heat to contribute to faster wear.
I disagree given how much a tire with plenty of tread can heat up compared to starting out cool/cold.

Given no scientific study to point to I'll just say I subscribe to the theory that the faster it wears the faster it wears. Period. Maybe somebody can prove the rate of wear is constant and that increase thermals play no part. But I can't help but believe that heat generated from thin rubber turning faster over any distance increases wear. So there we are.

Bike
2010 ST1300
It is my understanding - from what I've read, but no other source - that tires wear not only from abrasion caused by leaning the bike over, but by tire 'squirm'. This is how the rubber distorts when it hits the road. More acceleration, more squirm and abrasion. Front tire gets less acceleration but also lateral forces when turning. When there is less rubber on the tire, you get more movement (aka squirm, but I'm beginning to wear the word out). I know nothing about increased tire temps on a thinner tire. This could be checked with a tpms, assuming you tried the same road for say, 30 miles, and the same temps. There would still be a lot of variables, but any significant difference in tire temp and final pressure might provide some answers.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Thought I would start a new thread. A bit of background.

If I can't......anyone got a good idea on where to get it replaced in southern/central Oregon or NW Calif?

Thanks
Rod
Go to Honda in Redding, CA
Call first to make sure they have your Tire or something comparable.
(530) 221-6788
2230 Larkspur Ln, Just off of Highway 5
I limped in with 3 plugs in a tire just before 5PM closing and they treated me VERY well.

Jeff

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Another consideration is that flats are much more likely when the tread gets low.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Redding also has a cycle gear store, they will mount, but you have to remove your wheel and bring it in....treated me very well 2 years ago......ff

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Redding also has a cycle gear store, they will mount, but you have to remove your wheel and bring it in....treated me very well 2 years ago......ff
:plus1: Uncle Larry also used Cycle Gear in Redding for a new tire on one of our trips, great service and great price.

OP
OP
drrod

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Well here is an update.
First, Thanks to all who responded with advice.

I replaced the tire. First tried Cycle Gear in Eugene but they were not very enthused about helping me out so I then called Hansen BMW in Medford. Wow!!!!!!! Is all I can say about the service. Called and explained my situation. They said when can you be here. I told them and they said they would be ready. I handed then the keys, went for lunch and when I came back the bike was ready. Plus they pointed out a few things that would need attention in the next little while (eg. rear brakes). The price was very reasonable as well. Cannot recommend highly enough.
Thank you Mason and your staff.

The tire was pretty well shot. Maybe a few hundred miles left. I did not get a picture of it.

Glad I changed it out. 6,700 kms on it. That's 4150 miles. I think I am done with PR4's once the one on the front is wore out. The last couple of sets seem to wear prematurely. I like the Angel GT's but had these PR4's rear laying around that I put on for this trip.

Again, thanks to all how responded. I appreciate your help.

Rod

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Well here is an update.
First, Thanks to all who responded with advice.

I replaced the tire. First tried Cycle Gear in Eugene but they were not very enthused about helping me out so I then called Hansen BMW in Medford. Wow!!!!!!! Is all I can say about the service. Called and explained my situation. They said when can you be here. I told them and they said they would be ready. I handed then the keys, went for lunch and when I came back the bike was ready. Plus they pointed out a few things that would need attention in the next little while (eg. rear brakes). The price was very reasonable as well. Cannot recommend highly enough.
Thank you Mason and your staff.

The tire was pretty well shot. Maybe a few hundred miles left. I did not get a picture of it.

Glad I changed it out. 6,700 kms on it. That's 4150 miles. I think I am done with PR4's once the one on the front is wore out. The last couple of sets seem to wear prematurely. I like the Angel GT's but had these PR4's rear laying around that I put on for this trip.

Again, thanks to all how responded. I appreciate your help.

Rod
Glad you are up and running..!!!!

ToddC

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
What's the wisdom of the group as far as replacement interval on the front? So far I've just been replacing F/R as a set, just because new tires feel so nice! That and I tend to do one long trip a year, so I usually just leave with new rubber on the bike.

But I've got a rear in the 5K range with some scalloping, and I'll probably replace it before this years WeSTOC trip just so I don't get caught out having to replace tires on the road. My front still looks pretty good, and I'm feeling cheap this time around.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I usually get twice the mileage out of the front....and the Bridgestone T30 Evo GT front wears evenly for me....YMMV......ff

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
What's the wisdom of the group as far as replacement interval on the front? So far I've just been replacing F/R as a set, just because new tires feel so nice! That and I tend to do one long trip a year, so I usually just leave with new rubber on the bike.

But I've got a rear in the 5K range with some scalloping, and I'll probably replace it before this years WeSTOC trip just so I don't get caught out having to replace tires on the road. My front still looks pretty good, and I'm feeling cheap this time around.
I get double the mileage on the front. Streach that Dollar.......

ToddC

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I get double the front miles on my CB's,,, and don't hesitate to keep the front going till it is time to change it. I wish I had that performance from Blue STars Angel GT's,, but the front tire has worn faster than the rear. I don't really know why,,, except that the ST13 obviously drives the front tire far harder than my older bikes do. I am going to be forced into an early change on the front,,, and I don't have any hesitation to throw new rubber on one end when needed. So,,, save your money, Toddc,, I do,,, Cat'

I get double the mileage on the front. Streach that Dollar.......

ToddC

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Justin and I replaced my rear tire last night at his buddy's house. Where they just got through swapping a jeep engine for a Corvette engine! I guess Justin did a lot of that Work!

Anyway, I got 11,300+ miles out of that rear tire. The center was pretty much gone. I'll try to get a picture of the tire.

Last edited:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was just mentioning this to a friend and think many riders don't realize or forget this bit.
It's only about 2% - about 6mm worth of tread on a tyre of approx. 600mm diameter. (Before someone suggests that this is only 1%, it is 6mm on both sides of the diameter, making a reduction of 12mm diameter altogether). More if you go beyond the wear bars.

This reduction in tyre size is also a factor in what your speedo shows - comparing a new tyre with a worn down one. At 100mph it will be another 2mph out. The bike will also have slightly lower gear ratios - faster acceleration. (Another source of increased tyre wear as the wear bar approaches !)

I thought I enjoyed riding a bit quickly, but your short tire life tells me I am showing my age. My Bridgestone have lasted about 10,000 miles per set, and I change out before I get down to minimums. That includes every kind of riding from 90 mph highway to the Tail of the Dragon. But no flat track burnouts.

Just gave the '09 Police model to my son, who lives in Denver and can enjoy the mountains, so no more ST in the stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom