Strange thing happened on the way to a Honda dealer

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Blah...Blah...Blah.... I Don't care about someone's stat's, MINE gets mid 50's @ an indicated 75-80 mph, and anyone that rides with me knows that, and yes, I've done the math, and not just trusted the idiot gauge.
So I guess my bike just runs better than yours.
Another amazing feat. You should be very proud. That kind of mileage at 80 mph is what the NC700X is producing and it's designed for high efficiency. All the hypermilers are going to switch to the ST1300 - it has the tank and the legs after spending time at OCD Garage.

http://www.wikihow.com/Understand-and-Use-Basic-Statistics

Bike
2004 ST1300
My t stat has been stuck open for the last 65k miles. Why I know that on cool days it takes a few miles to get to 3 bars. And on really cool days its been known to flick between 2-3 bars all day. Never had a cooling issue and bike runs perfectly, so I let it ride.
Its costing you fuel/money. Fuel injection system will keep the engine running "perfectly", so it seems.
Before the engine reaches the proper full operating temp as seen by the sensor, the fueling map will cause it to run "rich", or burn extra fuel. When my stat was only allowing two bars the fuel mileage was in the upper 30's. Once the stat got straightened out and temp began to reach full normal operating range the mileage has improved to a pretty consistent 48ish with a couple 50's.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Its costing you fuel/money. Fuel injection system will keep the engine running "perfectly", so it seems.
Before the engine reaches the proper full operating temp as seen by the sensor, the fueling map will cause it to run "rich", or burn extra fuel. When my stat was only allowing two bars the fuel mileage was in the upper 30's. Once the stat got straightened out and temp began to reach full normal operating range the mileage has improved to a pretty consistent 48ish with a couple 50's.
In a 110,000 miles on my 04 I don't believe I EVER got less than mid 40s on a tank of gas, stuck tstat and all LOL. I can't even remember the last time I checked the STs mpg, so might need to check it. Now that I think about it, that Tsat might have been dead for last 80k miles? All I know its been a long time. Here in alabama it might have spent 2 hours on 2 bars in all those miles? I just don't think its worth the trouble to put a new one in, that will certainly fail also.

The check engine light been glowing on my 09 Civic for about 40k miles.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
In a 110,000 miles on my 04 I don't believe I EVER got less than mid 40s on a tank of gas, stuck tstat and all LOL. I can't even remember the last time I checked the STs mpg, so might need to check it. Now that I think about it, that Tsat might have been dead for last 80k miles? All I know its been a long time. Here in alabama it might have spent 2 hours on 2 bars in all those miles? I just don't think its worth the trouble to put a new one in, that will certainly fail also.

The check engine light been glowing on my 09 Civic for about 40k miles.
I don't care what you say, that there is funny :rofl1:

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Another amazing feat. You should be very proud. That kind of mileage at 80 mph is what the NC700X is producing and it's designed for high efficiency. All the hypermilers are going to switch to the ST1300 - it has the tank and the legs after spending time at OCD Garage.

http://www.wikihow.com/Understand-and-Use-Basic-Statistics
We laughed our :butt1: off at your typical response yet once again :plus1:
I don't recall ever reading a post of yours where you actually rolled up your sleeves and worked on someones bike, went to rescue a stranded rider, or offered advice that was your own, however, you are always quick to cut & paste an article, comment, or phrase that someone else has said or like the link you just attached to this little jab towards me once again.
Yes, I take great pride in helping folks, and yes, most folks who have been in my garage have appeared to be very pleased with their bike afterwards.
Your responses to almost every post I make remind me of the scene in Goodwill Hunting (bar scene).
I will no longer waste any of my time responding to you or your silly jabs at me, and have blocked your posts and put you on ignore.
Please spend your time trying to help folks instead of trying to discredit me with whatever I say.
I'm sure folks on the forum are tired of this childish back and forth nonsense, and it takes away from time I could be helping someone.
And please refrain from any further private emails or texts to the white courtesy phone.

OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
If you've ever seen an old T-stat, you'll know that they get corrosion on the body that kind of looks like moss, for lack of a better term. As they open and close (extend and retract) as they get more corrosion on them, they start to scrape and leave marks where they drag on the surface of this stuff. The two three bar dance is caused by sometimes they stick, sometimes they break free, etc. Then finally the corrosion gets so bad, they stick fully open.
Sounds like yours is on its way out. I will bet you a beer when you open yours up you'll find the body green, with shiny brass color scrape marks on the body.
You win the beer!!! Not that there was ever any doubt Larry.
IMG_0185.jpgIMG_0181.jpg

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Well to be honest, it was not really a fair bet :rolleyes: as I probably have a 5 gallon bucket of failed thermostats in the condition that you found yours in.
Like the Farmers commercial on TV, "We know a thing or two, cause we've seen a thing or two". I had the deck stacked against you on that bet.
Tell you what, I'll take you up on the beer if your ever in my neck of the woods, it you let me buy you dinner.
Larry

OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Well to be honest, it was not really a fair bet :rolleyes: as I probably have a 5 gallon bucket of failed thermostats in the condition that you found yours in.
Like the Farmers commercial on TV, "We know a thing or two, cause we've seen a thing or two". I had the deck stacked against you on that bet.
Tell you what, I'll take you up on the beer if your ever in my neck of the woods, it you let me buy you dinner.
Larry
Thank you so much Larry! I have more photos to post of the paint in the rad openings before and after. I have just filled it and cycled it through hot, and will ensure it is full. All looks great so far.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Be sure to check the condition of the 3 way tee between the right cylinder head and the radiator (follow the line back from the right side of the radiator) These are VERY fragile and can crack, then snap off and PUMP your coolant out in short order.
Don't over tighten the worm style hose clamps or they snap the plastic fittings off.
If you travel, this is one part you may want to carry a spare one with you.
Looking forward to the photos.

OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I looked at the 3 way tee and all looks good. Pressured up the system twice and good so far. Now to put the Tupperware back in place. This pictures are off my cell so hope they turn out. Before and after cleaning up the paint. I put a positive pressure on the port I was buffing out so nothing went in.
IMG_0188.jpgIMG_0189.jpgIMG_0189.jpgIMG_0190.jpgIMG_0191.jpgIMG_0192.jpg

Top Bottom