Air inlet tubes - do I need them?

Bike
R1200rt
T_C is correct..don't touch it ..Venturi effect - At low rpm, the speed of the airflow is increased by directing the air through a path with limited capacity...A tuned intake path can have a light pressurizing effect similar to a low-pressure supercharger due to Helmholtz resonance. However, this effect occurs only over a narrow engine speed range which is directly influenced by intake length. A variable intake can create two or more pressurized "hot spots." When the intake air speed is higher, the dynamic pressure pushing the air (and/or mixture) inside the engine is increased. The dynamic pressure is proportional to the square of the inlet air speed, so by making the passage narrower or longer the speed/dynamic pressure is increased.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Shouldn't affect the starter valve sync as that is actually performed with the air cleaner assembly completely removed. It would likely screw up the careful acoustic intake tuning has done though, and make the bike run poorly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You got me there - I forgot all about that. You may have guessed that I've never BTDT. I've never even had reason to remove the air box for anything, just the cover to service the air cleaner.

Removing them does nothing that is noticeable. I have gone into the area numerous times and about 4 months ago while i was in there i removed the snorkels and placed them on the side then went further in. I took a break and another guy moved the snorkels i came back and installed everything back and packed up and left i was tired and had been working on the bike all day. I rode home 30 miles and got a message about the snorkels. As I was at work the next day i wasnt back at the yard for another 10 days. After 10 days of using the bike i could not notice any difference. Im sure they do something but you wont notice what it is

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Removing them does nothing that is noticeable. I have gone into the area numerous times and about 4 months ago while i was in there i removed the snorkels and placed them on the side then went further in. I took a break and another guy moved the snorkels i came back and installed everything back and packed up and left i was tired and had been working on the bike all day. I rode home 30 miles and got a message about the snorkels. As I was at work the next day i wasnt back at the yard for another 10 days. After 10 days of using the bike i could not notice any difference. Im sure they do something but you wont notice what it is
This just tells me you’re not very in touch with your bike, if you can’t hear or feel how poorly the bike runs without the snorkels not only in place, but placed in correctly.
The base of the airbox has indicators to line them up correctly, so you get the proper air flow effect.

Bike
R1200rt
Let's say what if, by not directing air flow could some of the cylinder be deprived of some air during certain conditions? I sure honda does not waste money on useless stuff. :thumb: Ride the bike, get it real hot then measure exhaust pipes at the cylinder head and see if what tempeture each cylinder is running at. I would bet you find a difference there.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
why did/do hot rodders use velocity stacks?
EDIT: sorry I misread as “pods” having just read about Nighthawks and pods filtres.

Just for looks. Bike will have mid-range stumbles from turbulent air. Engine even shuts off completely in cross-winds.

When I was racing Ninja 250s, it had been in production for over 30-yrs. Millions of racers had tried everything possible to get maximum output from the little sucker! They knew exactly what mods worked and what didn’t.

Even though pod-filtres were allowed by rules, not a single racer used them! Racers are cheating bastards who’ll do anything and everything possible to get upper hand against their opponents. Just fact that pods are legal, yet they don’t use them, says that it’s not effective mod. In fact, it’s a destructive mod that makes bike run worse than stock! In end, leaving stock airbox on along with other tried-n-true mods developed over decades gave significant 24-25% bump in power!

Honda’s even better at engineering. Everything from intake duct all way to muffler end-cap has been designed and tested for optimum functionality of entire system. You can’t make just one change without also having to modify everything else due to inter-connectedness of entire system. Best you’re gonna do is make it worse than stock.

Last edited:
Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Ask in the Nighthawk forums how many Nighthawk owners removed the stock air filter housing to put on pod filters, and never got the bike to run properly after.
Same thing on Ninja 250 forums too. Any search for “stock airbox” shows new owners seeking out this most valuable part. They usually pick up bike as basket-case project after previous owner tried to be clever and removed airbox to use pod filtres. Then they couldn’t ever get bike to run properly and they had tossed airbox too! So they just dump bike and make it someone else’s problem.

Last edited:
This just tells me you’re not very in touch with your bike, if you can’t hear or feel how poorly the bike runs without the snorkels not only in place, but placed in correctly.
The base of the airbox has indicators to line them up correctly, so you get the proper air flow effect.
You appear to be one of those part time experts who have plenty of opinions about things you know nothing about. I prefer facts. You dont ride your bike without them I do so all the theories about what the affect might be is just that theories. If there was any noticeable difference i would have put them back

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Honda isn't stupid when it comes to it's designs, well, most of the time... I would think they would not have designed/manufactured those if they didn't think they were required.

If you remove them... well, that's up to you and maybe there's no affect... but if there is... then that's also up to you... lol.. I don't typically mess with such things myself, heck the bike runs great 'as designed'.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I think its safe to assume that Honda knows more about tuning their engines than some clown on YouTube,(This is a reference to a video, not directed at you) who wears spandex pants, and experiments by removing stuff he knows nothing about :rofl1:
But your right, I know absolutely NOTHING about these motorcycles, how to maintain them, how to repair them, or how to ride them ;)
I guess for the safety of everyone involved, I should probably stop offering advice on how to repair/work on them to most of the Honda shop mechanics who call and ask for help.
Maybe we should leave that up to folks who FORGET to put things back in their bikes after working on them, and then not notice any difference.
If you want your bike to run its best, perhaps you should put them back in, and follow the factory service manual for advice.
Ride safe and enjoy your bike.

Bike
R1200rt
You appear to be one of those part time experts who have plenty of opinions about things you know nothing about. I prefer facts. You dont ride your bike without them I do so all the theories about what the affect might be is just that theories. If there was any noticeable difference i would have put them back
Velocity stacks are fact not theory.

I run into a lot of riders and drivers that look for more horsepower that seem to think that somehow makes them better ,most riders ( including Me ) never reach the capabilities of the stock bike they sit on. I did ask a pipe manufacturer if their pipes improved economy. The said they had not been asked that often. And no they did not so I skipped it.
That is enough of my soap box.
I bought a bike (ZRX 1200R) that had Muzzy pipes and the idiot drilled holes into the air box cover, It took a dyno run to determine that it was not tuned to the pipes it took another run to verify that I put it right.
Properly tuning mods without a Dyno is light rebuilding carbs in the dark. It is hit and miss to get the proper mix at the correct RPM.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
You appear to be one of those part time experts who have plenty of opinions about things you know nothing about.
Ummm... I'm gonna guess you're not from around here...
Yeah, I see your 126 posts.
By and large, this digital campfire has a pretty good history of avoiding personal attacks.
Most of us like it that way, so please reconsider your tone going forward.
And this is not a personal attack either, but you may consider it a "cautionary tale."

Ummm... I'm gonna guess you're not from around here...
Yeah, I see your 126 posts.
By and large, this digital campfire has a pretty good history of avoiding personal attacks.
Most of us like it that way, so please reconsider your tone going forward.
And this is not a personal attack either, but you may consider it a "cautionary tale."
Duly noted

Top Bottom