Converting Linked Brakes Back To Traditional Motorcycle Brakes.

Although my machine is over ten years old now I have not had any problems with the linked brakes. However I must say it has been garaged, doesnt have many miles on it, and has rarely been in the rain or on dirt roads.While I have been able to understand how the linked brakes work and to service them, Ive seen all the trouble they have caused so many people. I would not like to be in the position of not being able to service them nor at the mercy of the dealers (who dont see many of these bikes) Also, as these machines age I have to believe these troubles will only become more likely. Then too since Honda doesnt make them anymore at some point parts might not be available.
Given all the above it occurs to me the solution is to convert the system back to conventional motorcycle brakes. Unfortunately Im not smart enough to figure out how to do that. Has anyone given this any thought? Im looking for a simple, cheap, eloquent procedure hopefully making maximum use of existing components.

OP
OP
If you can service them yourself. And if parts are available. Failing that, they are not so excellent. In fact they are the most trouble prone part of the machine.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
Trump, changing the breaking system would not be "simple, cheap, eloquent procedure hopefully making maximum use of existing components". Most if not all of the current system would have to be replaced. Honda parts are not really an issue. I've got a 84 GL1200 and brake parts are still not an issue. As for the ST1300's I think brake parts will be around for a long while. I feel your pain if your stuck taking the bike to someone to do the work, and short of learning how to do it on your own... There are great resources on this site and depending on your location there are members who are always willing to lend a hand.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Couldn't a guy just clamp the brake hoses leading to the 2 outside rear caliper pistons? The footbrake would still operate the rear, though not nearly as well as intended.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Then too since Honda doesnt make them anymore at some point parts might not be available.
When were they stopped?

The ST brakes work excellently, why change?
Until parts are no longer actually available or prices raise them out of reality there is no need to make anything custom. Use as designed and enjoy.

I worry more about the idiot on the cell phone then I worry about my ST not braking. Go ride!

Bike
07 ST1300
You would have to engineer it so ALL the front pistons and ALL the rear pistons worked. This may not work as the rear brake relies on the SMC to ADD braking power. The rear MC might be unhappy operating all the rear pucks. The front MC might have the same problem.
Some creative plumbing may get around some of that, but this is something we never hear of anyone doing on these bikes. Other bikes yes. My Gen5 VFR it was kind of a popular question, but I never bothered with it. I think linked brakes are great.
I worry it would be a net loss on the ST1300. In fact, unless done properly and expensively I am sure of it.
A link to the VFR delink saga. I think the short answer to all this is to forget it.
http://vfrworld.com/threads/vfr800-5th-generation-a-gearhead’s-delinking-brake-saga-and-the-interceptor-ss.3617/

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Your only real option is to get a different bike with unlinked brakes. Modifying the ST1300 linked system is not practical or safe in a real world situation.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Couldn't a guy just clamp the brake hoses leading to the 2 outside rear caliper pistons? The footbrake would still operate the rear, though not nearly as well as intended.
No :scared2:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Learn to do the maintenance its not that hard. There are articles to guide you through most maintenance procedures here on the site and many members willing to assist if you need help. It saves a lot of money and you get the peace of mind to know its done right.

OP
OP
You would have to engineer it so ALL the front pistons and ALL the rear pistons worked. This may not work as the rear brake relies on the SMC to ADD braking power. The rear MC might be unhappy operating all the rear pucks. The front MC might have the same problem.
Some creative plumbing may get around some of that, but this is something we never hear of anyone doing on these bikes. Other bikes yes. My Gen5 VFR it was kind of a popular question, but I never bothered with it. I think linked brakes are great.
I worry it would be a net loss on the ST1300. In fact, unless done properly and expensively I am sure of it.
A link to the VFR delink saga. I think the short answer to all this is to forget it.
http://vfrworld.com/threads/vfr800-5th-generation-a-gearhead’s-delinking-brake-saga-and-the-interceptor-ss.3617/
Thanks for the link. I will probably give me enough to puzzle over for quite some time!

OP
OP
You clearly have an inquiring mind! I might even try it or welcome the experience of someone who did! But that would still leave the smc operating which I would like to eliminate.

OP
OP
Learn to do the maintenance its not that hard. There are articles to guide you through most maintenance procedures here on the site and many members willing to assist if you need help. It saves a lot of money and you get the peace of mind to know its done right.
I was able after a bit of practice to get the hang of changing the brake fluid. What concerns me is 1) suppose no parts are available in the future and 2) what if in spite of more than up to date maintenance the rear brake locks on during a trip? Converting to conventional brakes would take care of both problems.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Sell the 1300 and go buy a nice non ABS 1100. You'll also eliminate a number of other problem areas commonly found with the 1300. :)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Anyone stop to think of what your insurance company would do on a claim if they inspect the bike at a dealership or a claims adjuster noticed that the brakes had been modified? You might even be found responsible for an accident because the brakes were modified.
:think1:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yeah, if you don't like the technology/design of the bike.. simply sell it and get something you feel will last longer and be easier to maintain.. yes, the brake system is 'involved' and I do wish Honda would not have made it so.. however, it's almost identical to the goldwing and both bikes have had a ton of miles on them.. can there be issues w/brakes, absolutely, but most of those can be traced back to someone NOT performing scheduled maint... also, depending on your locale, YOUR scheduled maint may need to be adjusted to once a year vs every other year... depending on what maint we are talking about...

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I was able after a bit of practice to get the hang of changing the brake fluid. What concerns me is 1) suppose no parts are available in the future and 2) what if in spite of more than up to date maintenance the rear brake locks on during a trip? Converting to conventional brakes would take care of both problems.
I suppose that could happen I changed my SMC a while back and it should be good for at least another 80-100k miles bike will then have over 250k miles. If the rear brake should lock up simply release some pressure by cracking open a bleed valve on the rear caliper and don't use the rear brake pedal. This will get you home as was already said just ride these bikes are bullet proof by trying to convert this complex system you will probably do more harm than good.

Top Bottom