Converting Linked Brakes Back To Traditional Motorcycle Brakes.

Bike
VStrom 650
Based on how robust and over-built every part of the ST (both the 11 and the 13) is, I don't get the impression that Honda had a short life-span intended for this design.
It seems like they were built for longevity.
Andrew, in the UK these robustly built motorcycles had rotten exhausts and swingarms well before 10 years old if they were ridden in the damn awful winter conditions. But the point I was making is that the parts will stop being made. There's nothing anyone can do about that and it's why if you've got a new and genuine Z1 or CB750 exhaust system in the garage you can probably plan for early retirement.
Someone in China may set up production of parts such as brake components but they may not. I have experience of keeping older Japanese bikes on the road and OEM, it's expensive. The 1100 is already extremely difficult to find some parts for and the 13 will be following along soon.
But it's just my opinion.
And I've been wrong before.
Upt.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I do not dispute one word of what you wrote with the one exception being that the impression I got from your post was that the ST series had a planned obsolescence regiment in the twenty year range. This is what I reacted to. The OEM parts supply will be fading away no doubt, but the motorcycles themselves were designed to such a level of overkill it is sometimes a detriment- that robustness results in the weight so often complained about for example.

If I misread you- carry on, nothing to see here.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
except for the ST1300 odometer, which only has the ability to display a '1' in the most significant digit. :biggrin:
No argument from me. When I found out about this, I was actually surprised that there wasn't some law requiring it to read much higher since true mileage is such a concern. In the case of kilometers, 200,000 is not much at all.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
I think we (ST1300 Owners) should all own 3 working SMC’s
This way, there will be ample stock in the years to come.
I’m covered, I have 3 working ones in my shop.
Thinking we can see a 3-4% ROI in the years to come when they are obsolete.
Guaranteed, they will become collectables when they stop making them.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
If you flush your fluid out correctly, once a year, you will never need to replace your SMC.
They only die from neglect and lack of proper service.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
They only die from neglect and lack of proper service.
Sure, but.....

...for a poor fellow like me who likes riding the ST but has neither the space nor the time to do his own service, this ain't so good!

Where to go for proper service (if not to AZ!)?

After 15 years of atrocious service by local dealers, I finally found an old mechanic who knows what he is doing, but he is over 70 and only keeping his shop open because the stock market went the wrong way for him. Once he is gone, my ST is toasted.

This STeed requires more than servicing....it needs whispering.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Don’t know how much time you don’t have, but the brakes can be flushed properly in about an hour or less, with a $16 dollar MP check valve, and you don’t even have to remove the upper side Tupperware to get to the PCV bleeder.
An hour per year, and about $20 dollars in tools is not that big of deal, and much less expensive than buying replacement SMC’s.
:WCP1:

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
I think we (ST1300 Owners) should all own 3 working SMC’s
This way, there will be ample stock in the years to come.
I’m covered, I have 3 working ones in my shop.
Thinking we can see a 3-4% ROI in the years to come when they are obsolete.
Guaranteed, they will become collectables when they stop making them.
Lol, I like that. You could have a SMC at the ready as the annual winter maintenance job... Take off old one, install an already refurbed one, then work on the old one.....

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You could have a SMC at the ready as the annual winter maintenance job... Take off old one, install an already refurbed one, then work on the old one.....
I can't tell if that was a serious suggestion or not. I suppose keeping a spare might be a good investment. But wouldn't servicing the system once a year be a better use of time compared to actually replacing/rotating it annually?

Top Bottom