Car tire with the most room under st1300

Bike
'16 or '08 Goldwing
What size is the General AltiMax??
205/50 ZR-17 - same as everyone else.
Also, you should go with Bridgestone Battlax BT45 on the front (130/70 -18) - it helps the handling. Its a MC tire made for the rear, so it has deeper tread - so it will last as long as the rear Car Tire.

Bike
'16 or '08 Goldwing
Let us know what kind of price for the tire, air pressure you use and mileage you get from it. I like the clearance you get with it.
I paid $112 for the General rear and $114 for the Battlax on the front - both on eBay. You can probably find a little better prices with some searching. I started with 28psi in the rear and recently bumped it up to 38-40 to reduce the "twitch" when going from braking to acceleration in a corner - seems to help.

Bike
20 Tracer GT
After reading about the trial by ST-V4ever, I did this tire combo for a trip into Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, and Montana. Put on about 1000 miles before I left to try out the tires because I had not done the Darkside before. It's a great tire: smooth running, good traction wet or dry, and I think the mileage will be as much as the other tires used in the Dark. With the scooter loaded as I usually do (overpacked) the pressures were set 40 front and 30 rear and the 'twitch' was evident coming out of corners. I'll try higher pressure in the rear to compensate for it.

I bought a Harbor Freight tire change setup and modified it with nylon liners at the rim contacts and the installation end was changed to get a better grip on the bead. The tires went on the rims with moderate effort and a lot of words of encouragement.

OP
OP

Tct

Thanks for the info st-v. Did you put the battle on backwards or same as back.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The tires went on the rims with moderate effort and a lot of words of encouragement.
Are they appropriate to share with us here? Clearly they are an indispensable tool for mounting tires......:bow1:

Not to hijack this thread, but we goop the rear splines w/ Moly paste every 10 to 12k miles with bike tires. Does the decreased gooping frequency (say 30 to 40K miles) with car tires result in increased wear on the splines?

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Not to hijack this thread, but we goop the rear splines w/ Moly paste every 10 to 12k miles with bike tires. Does the decreased gooping frequency (say 30 to 40K miles) with car tires result in increased wear on the splines?
Goop intervals are of your choice. It is possible to pull the wheel, re-goop and reinstall wheel with the same tire, after checking the bearings. You don't have to wait until the tire is down to minimum tread depth. My app sounds the goop alarm every 16k.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I'm running the GYTT, and it rubs on mine, well, not so much a rub as a kiss, so I haven't worried about it. I figure when I wear it out in about 20,000 miles I'll take a belt sander to the spot.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Going to mount a new General and see how it works out. Got it from Walmart for $101 shipped to the store.

Last edited:

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
General Altimax RT43 205-50-17R Same as in the post above.

Bike
'16 or '08 Goldwing
Can ya save me from nine pages of reading... how's the mileage/treadwear looking? Will you repeat with this tire or try something else?
Mileage was 22k - no issues except for the sidewall flex on tip-in/tip-out of the throttle with the Fuel Injected engine (sudden on/off accelleration). Pics in the thread.
I have a Goodyear TT on the bike for this year.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bike
'16 or '08 Goldwing
The Goodyear is running nicely. No sidewall flex at 30 Psi, but it is a wide tire. I notice the uneven pavement more with this one. Trade-offs.

Sent from my Z917VL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom