ST1100 honda top box latch

Just got back from Scotland trip, bike performed faultlessly. Just one small issue- the rh side latch on the original Honda top box fell apart! There seems to be two tiny links that actually look like very small bike chain links - one is lost. Anyone got any bits spare or know where I can get replacement parts. I'd rather fix than replace with an aftermarket top box.
P

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just bought new latches for my Honda topbox (the 35L tall one). Ordered them from Motobins on your side of the pond

Spare Parts and Accessories for Motorcycles
16 Surfleet Road, Surfleet,
Spalding, Lincolnshire PE11 4AG
Tel. +44(0)1775 680881
Fax. +44(0)1775 680860
www.motobins.co.uk

This replaces the latch completely (new keys) but easy to do. You just drill out the two rivets and use the included screws and nuts. It looks like you have the tall topbox just like me.

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Paul - You'll just need a drill to drill out the rivets that hold the old lock hardware in place. Be sure to get the right size bit so that you just remove the rivet heads. The replacement bolts come with the locks. I bought a couple of extra sets since I have 3 ST1100s and figure the other ones will die sooner or later. ;-)

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
John - Yes, you will have to order two. But when I ordered mine, they came with matching keys which was nice. That gives you an extra key for your topbox. I would assume (I know - dangerous word ;-)) that Motobins knows you are buying a set and would match the locks for you. But you might note that on your order. Postage was a bit expensive (about $20) coming from the U.K., but that's just the price of admission I guess. :D

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Thanks, Phil. I've saved a lot of info on the bigger/better latches over the years (Hepco-Becker) into my archives, just didn't have a current source. A timely thread, now to place my order for my SSM topcase. My 35ltr SSM topcase came with the Hepco latches.

Edit: order placed.

John

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I received my new latches today ($49.08 USD total to my door) and installed them in about 30 minutes. Cool beans!

I didn't want to damage the old, serviceable lightweight latches by drilling the rivets, so used my Dremell with a cutoff wheel to simply remove the end of the rivet on the inside. So... anyone want a working set of latches w/one key for free?

I'm not sure what size Allan wrench the new latches' tiny hex-socket-head bolts took but found an unmarked one in my collection that worked... a 2mm? The tiny nylock nuts are 5.5mm. A 1/8" bit worked well for the new hole that has to be drilled for each new latch. As the old and new latches share one common bolt/rivet hole, once the old one is removed the new one can be installed with one bolt and the second hole drilled right through the new latch. Pop the second bolt in and you're done!

I'm a happy camper...

Edit: just looked at the site and they're now out of stock of the 94565 P/N.

John

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
John - I guess your box must have slightly different hole patterns as the ones on my 'tall' box lined right up. But I'm glad it all sorted out for you. Just don't lose the keys - I could not find a locksmith that has that blank or anything close to it!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I have a "tall" 35ltr box also and its OEM latches are the standard Hepco & Beckers with the same mounting hole pattern as my new replacement expedition latches. The smaller, 21ltr Hondaline topcase lightweight latches' mounting holes are different/staggered.

Looking for threads, I just found this in the AOW. Had forgotten about it. -
http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=2855

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom