Different Take On Heat Issues - ST1300

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
During this terrible heat spell we've been having for the last week or so, I got to go for a short ride, and as luck would have it, ran into two older gentlemen riding their ST1300's as well.
All three bikes were stock (shields / exhausts) and all three of us had stock seats.
During a rest break (108 degree temps) we were drinking water and talking bikes. Other than the wickedly hot air blowing into my face, I was OK with the heat coming off the sides of the bike.
The other rider, agreed and was ready to push on, however, the third guy was complaining about how HOT his bike was (more so than the hot wind in his face) etc.
The two guys switched bikes and we went another few miles then switched back. The guy that complained about how hot his bike was, made the same complaint about the guys bike he just rode too.
I switched bikes and only rode for about 10 miles, but found it to be about the same as mine etc.
This got me thinking :think1: all our bikes had the same shields/pipes/seats, we were all traveling at the same speed, on the same roads etc.
We were all wearing normal jeans (Levi, Lee, and Wranglers) I was wearing sneakers, both of them wearing MC boots.
At the next stop (Gizdich Pies) we discussed the heat issue.
Since switching bikes back and forth, I felt we got a fair comparison of different states of tune (air filters - TB sync - oil) etc. So that should not make a difference since two of us rode the offending HOT bike and were OK with it, while the guy on the hot bike stated that both ours were just as hot.
Our first thought is maybe he is just sensitive to heat? Is he on any medications that make him sensitive to heat more than us? (this has been the case for one member that I know of) etc.
I then noticed something that I had not thought about prior, While (I) ride, I position my legs with the balls of my feet on the riders pegs, and my heels on the platform of the passenger peg mount, and this gives me just a two or three inch gap between my thighs and the tank, allowing air to flow through in this area. Rider number two also keeps his knees and thighs off the tank. However, Rider three, with the heat issue, was riding as far forward as possible, and clamping down both of his thighs tight against the tank, sealing off all air flow from this area. This is why he felt our bikes were just as hot as his, and we felt his bike was no worse than ours etc.
Now to be fair, this guy was short, and what my doctor would say overweight (obese), so he had no choice in the matter. he was unable to ride without his leg resting against the frame/tank etc.
This just made me wonder, is our riding position causing heat issues for some folks? I also noticed that if you put the seat in the high position, it creates a gap of about an inch between the seat and tank, and lets air flow better too.
So, If your having heat issues with your bike, you may want to consider experimenting with your seating position or seat height.
Igofar

NOTE: this observation is in no way implying that some bikes don't run hotter than others, or that only large riders have these complaints. This was just three guys comparing bikes and talking about causes of heat and possible solutions.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
I have noticed the same thing. I have to MAKE myself keep an airspace between the tank and my legs. I installed some homemade Air Wings to increase airflow around the calf/knee/thigh area, which have proved to work very well- they cool the tank and frame a bit, and definitely keep my legs a bit cooler, IF I keep my thighs away from the tank. It's not so tough to do so on the highway, but riding the great NW GA twisties, it can be hard to maintain that airspace!

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Igofar, that's a very interesting observation. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. :)

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Very interesting comparison

A few years back we were camping and I took the bike a mile down the road to get some supplies. I didn't put on my textile over-trousers and I noticed how incredible hot my legs were getting and found myself riding with knees out as far as possible to get the air flowing between the bike and the inside of my legs.

It was interesting to feel how the different positions made such a difference to the amount of heat.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm new to riding the ST 1300 so I don't have a whole lot of experience but I did ride back from OHSTOC a couple weeks ago and the ambient temperature according to the thermometer on the bike was 108° I didn't notice any unusual heat coming from the bike at all. In fact I was out riding my old GL 1200 a few days ago the ambient temperature was only around 90 and it felt much much warmer riding the GL that it had riding the ST1300. I spent most of my riding over the last 25 years down in Florida where it's considerably hotter than ever gets up here in Pennsylvania I was riding a VFR800 most of the time down there and actually find the ST1300 to be the most comfortable bike I've been ridden so far. I do agree that different people are affected by the heat differently and I've never been one to be terribly affected by heat and that may be the reason that some people complain about the bike and others don't.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Good observation, Larry. I've felt the heat mostly when I'm riding aggressively through curves, braking, accelerating, shifting down and up. As Mark pointed out, working the engine hard like this generates much more heat than slab riding. And, no doubt, I pull in to the bike when leaned over, hanging on to the bike w/ my knees.

Now we have to devise a riding strategy for us short guys whose riding position is naturally like the 'hot' guy in your trio, and one for heavier guys.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Now we have to devise a riding strategy for us short guys whose riding position is naturally like the 'hot' guy in your trio, and one for heavier guys.
Maybe strategically place some foam spacer/pads on the bike to maintain some air space?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Maybe strategically place some foam spacer/pads on the bike to maintain some air space?
Hmmm, maybe get racer's leathers and move the pucks from outside the knee to inside? Really confuse the heck out of the other riders. :bow1: Half the battle is psyching out the opposition.

Next time I feel the heat in the twisties, I'm just going to experiment - deliberately keep my legs away from the plastic, maybe slide back on the seat (away from the tank) a couple of inches. If that does the trick, maybe handlebar risers are in my future.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
intresting thread, I have found the heat experiment more easily researched in colder air :rolleyes: searching for warm air when chilly helped me discover the sources of heat. I found that pointing the toe of my boot a bit downward scooped up colder air and directed it up my shins while keeping feet level directed warm air from lower engine up the shin area. Moving forward on seat blocked some airflow allowing me to feel warmer.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SMSW said:
Hmmm, maybe get racer's leathers and move the pucks from outside the knee to inside?
I actually had the same thought when I posted but figured the pucks might muck up the Tup and vis-á-vis leathers we're trying to beat the heat.

OP
OP
Igofar
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
What about the tank protector stuff that the kids use on their sport bikes? (TechSpec snake skin)

Bike
08 VFR800, 17 CB1100
Being afflicted with the "Dreaded Duck Disease" (short legs that position the arse too close to the ground) and living in Yuma, AZ I can definitely sympathize (he says gazing out the window at the thermometer which currently reads 120-deg F). Must say though that any temperature over 100-deg is not conducive to comfortable motorbike riding IMHO; nor walking, sitting, or doing anything else outdoors for that matter. When it goes over 100 it's that time to park em ASAP and quaff a cold one.

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
I just spread out the highway pegs and soak up what cool air there is. I'm gonna mod my stock shield since I have a new after market one that I think I'll use more for winter.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I got a little warm today riding my Triumph Tiger. I stopped and drank a Gatorade and ran cool water over my wrist, face and neck. I was surprised I was feeling a little hot. It was only 86. I rode my ST yesterday in 90 degree temps no problems. I did put a set of Baker Wings on it. They sure do help.
I was noticing the heat from the Tiger on the top of my legs. So I climbed back on for the final 30 minutes to get home. I said I am going to try riding with my knees spread away from the tank. It made a world of difference with the heat on my legs. Just wanted to share. I never thought about doing that before. Thanks for the suggestion.
If you think your ST is hot' come ride my Tiger.

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
my other bike is a 1500 Goldwing. the fairing and windshield do a great job of keeping cold air off of you and warm air on you. without air wings you learn not to hug the tank unless the road gets curvy so I already had those habits when I picked up the mighty ST 1300. also move your feet to the outside of the pegs to get cooler air around them

STOC #
Nice little comparison. I find the fairing deflectors helped a lot for me but when it is that hot out, the boys get roasted. On a different note,(and not wanting to hijack thread) but when you rode the different bikes, how did you find they compared with engine vibration? My 09 is more viby than my 04 ever was. And is even more so after the dealer put in new angel gt tires. Nothing else changed.. Even at idle you can feel an increase in vibs.

OP
OP
Igofar
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Nice little comparison. I find the fairing deflectors helped a lot for me but when it is that hot out, the boys get roasted. On a different note,(and not wanting to hijack thread) but when you rode the different bikes, how did you find they compared with engine vibration? My 09 is more viby than my 04 ever was. And is even more so after the dealer put in new angel gt tires. Nothing else changed.. Even at idle you can feel an increase in vibs.
Good question (thanks for asking) On this particular ride, my bike was the smoothest running, and the best idling bike of the group (verified by both the other riders) I think this is because I go the little bit extra to make sure the bike is always in a good state of tune.
Both the other riders have indicated that they would like to have their bike "whispered" to see if I can improve on the Idle (TB sync) etc.
One of the riders did admit that he was using a K&N filter (hottest running bike) and asked if I could remove it and go back to a paper filter when I to his tune up to see if that helps.
Your engine vibration could very well be the TB sync is off, or the CB adjustment is off, both very easy to correct.
I would also adjust and lubricate your throttle cables, make sure you don't have any nylon ties binding them or routing issues etc.
I have sent you an email with further causes as to not re-direct this thread into a different topic.
Igofar

Last edited:

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I just did some heat experimentation last week on my 500 mile ride home. ST1300 with no lower wind deflectors. The most heat comes out below the shins of the legs at the side panel "curve" just above the ankle.

The best way to dump this heat was to ride with my feet on the outside half of the stock foot pegs or up on my homemade highway pegs.

Top Bottom