Different Take On Heat Issues - ST1300

Bike
2006 Honda st1300
The heat coming off the bike don't bother me much. It is noticeable though. I use the MCL highway wings and it helps a bunch. When riding in cooler weather, I don't think we'll complain about the heat.

OP
OP
Igofar
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Willing to share the secrets more broadly?
I'm happy to call you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last time I called someone on the white courtesy phone in Canada I was rewarded with a $300 dollar phone bill! My wife would kill me if I did that again :rolleyes:
Your welcome to call me if you'd like.

OP
OP
Igofar
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
My response of "what's that?" should answer that question :rofl1:
I just sent you an email with the white courtesy phone number.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I only picked up my ST on saturday however during the test ride the bike felt very hot on my shins and ankles. After the test ride i had asked about the adjustable seat and found it had been in the low position. After moving to the high setting it felt much better for comfort and not smashing goods into the tank during breaking.
On saturday when bringing it home there was harcly any sensation of cooking my legs as there had bedn on the test ride. That being said...i only have about 75 miles between the two rides but the difference was very noticable.
The PO had put some air slates to direct air to the legs...didnt do much when the legs and knees hug the engine/frame/tank.
Thats all.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I only picked up my ST on saturday however during the test ride the bike felt very hot on my shins and ankles. After the test ride i had asked about the adjustable seat and found it had been in the low position. After moving to the high setting it felt much better for comfort and not smashing goods into the tank during breaking.
On saturday when bringing it home there was harcly any sensation of cooking my legs as there had bedn on the test ride. That being said...i only have about 75 miles between the two rides but the difference was very noticable.
The PO had put some air slates to direct air to the legs...didnt do much when the legs and knees hug the engine/frame/tank.
Thats all.
I suggest that a full going through of the bike is in order.
I have no idea what the temp was in CT on Saturday but I can't imagine it was terribly warm.
Something seems a bit off.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I suggest that a full going through of the bike is in order.
I have no idea what the temp was in CT on Saturday but I can't imagine it was terribly warm.
Something seems a bit off.

David,
Apologies as i wasn't very clear.
I did a test ride on friday and it was comfortable out...maybe in the low 60s.
The seat was in the low position which forced me snug with the tank and frame. I am 6'2".
During a 30 min test ride my lower legs became very hot.

After the test ride i adjusted the seat to the high position which not only was more comfy for legs but it also kept my boys from being in contact with the tank.
Saturday was in the mid 50s and between that and the adjusted seat i barely noticed the heat.
Prior to taking it home the non honda dealer did a safety check.I only have about 75 miles total on the bike but the seat position was a huge change as my legs were not in contact with much.
Typing this on a tablet and it is a pain to edit..sorry for the disjointed thoughts.
That is my very limited experience.
Thank you

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
When I first got my ST, the heat to my feet and shins were unbearable. Some months later, I realized that the little rubber strip gasket on the bottom of the side panel was twisted. I assumed the gaskets got twisted when the dealer was installing the Honda heated grips. They had to remove the side panels to do the job. I reinstalled the side panels and bought new gaskets and the intense heat was much much improved.
Kenny

The simple test would be on a hot day put your hand on your tank if it is seriously warm then obviously there is a heat issue. If you sit further back maybe you just dont notice it. My seat gets warm to the point it irritates me but i dont like heat much so i did the mylar under the seat and that fixed that. last bike would get very hot on the tank eventually i lifted it and insulated it with mylar and it totally cured it. The following things are ideas i heard help and ideas i have had.
I also noticed if you point your toes down it scoops cold air up your legs

wrap the header pipes. Header pipes do put out a lot of heat my after market ones used to glow when i started the bike.
Change the exhausts apparently the standard get very hot new exhausts makes it sound nicer and run colder.
mylar under seat and tanks works well but i assume traps heat a lot unsure of long term issues but was fine for 4 years
as mentioned on the forums reneck nut cooler using hose and shop hoover heads attached above the tip covers.
remove tip over covers letting more heat escape
My idea remove lower black fairing getting more heat sucked away from the headers
My idea (just now) for really hot days and long rides find the thickest towel you can about the size of your tank cable tie it to your bagster cover chuck a two litre bottle of water in the pannier or if you want a flask of iced water. when the bike gets seriously hot soak the towel in the water. the ongoing heat will cause the water to evaporate cooling the tank
My idea using redneck cooler or similar to push air under the tank put spacers on the front bolts lifting the tank slightly allowing the heat to escape
I have a bagster cover so i think i wont have a issue and i also now have the deflectors they came with the new bike so i hope they keep hot air off my legs.

Jambriwal

2016 ST1300PA
Bike
2016 ST1300 PA
Reading all these post's on heat control of ST1300 provides some good info and choices to try. Also some amusing comments New to the forum but noted some same issues or concerns in my short time with my 1300.
Other motorcycles i have owned have exhibited some of these same conditions. Some from exhaust and others from air flow or engine temperature. One particularly hot 1999 HD Dyna where the boys are about 2" inches off the rear cylinder. On a ride home from Americade, Lake George NY in + 95 deg temperature i actully slipped a reusable ice pack under a certain part of anatomy. My friends who laughed at this I said my ❤ may be in NY but my balls are in Alaska.
My last honda a 2014 Valkyrie 1800 also suffered from a Hot Seat. Perhaps amplified by the Belly Pan i installed. Went so far as to put a thermometer under my rump and various parts of seat and tank. All temps bieng the same i had the seat cover replaced with a basket weave pattern like a cop seat This seemed to help quite bit.
Might consider mylar under the 1300 to deflect heat and getting it recovered.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Might consider mylar under the 1300 to deflect heat and getting it recovered.
My Corbin saddle passes less heat than the oem seat does, because it has a thick fiberglass seat pan. I ride long hours,, so I added the reflective type insulation to it's under-surface as well. That insulation only made a small difference on the Corbin. But it may be more effective on an oem seat. Be careful,,, as Reflectix has an electrically conductive surface,,, cheers,,, CAt'

Last edited:

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
My Staintunes didn't have cats so there was less heat around my feet.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I have Staintunes as well and also think having no cats helps keep the bike from getting as hot. And Larry’s original proposition that keeping a little space between your crotch/legs and the tank area also has a significant impact.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I have Staintunes as well and also think having no cats helps keep the bike from getting as hot. And Larry’s original proposition that keeping a little space between your crotch/legs and the tank area also has a significant impact.
It's been a long time since my ST1300. The seat didn't fit tight against the tank did it? So we had a convection oven going?

Top Bottom