Mileage vs. Maintenance - When Buying

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Mileage would not be consideration since all three have what ST riders consider low mileage.
Accessories could be a flag in my opinion, since alot of folks would rather spend money bolting on gadgets than doing maintenance (think harley davidson owner).
Everyone has their own idea of what is perfect. Some think a bike is not finished until there is nothing left to add on, while others feel it is not finished until all the non-needed stuff is removed etc.
I would decide on which bike by inspection, and inspection alone.
I would inspect the brake system (secondary master cylinder) conditions of pads & calipers, the coolant system (water pump) coolant leaks, oil leaks, fork seals, preload adjuster, any damage hidden under the tip over covers etc.
Pull a plug, check the oil, air filter etc.
Have recalls been done if needed?
Anyone can decide to bail on a bike that runs poorly or too hot, then dress them up with new parts and pass as "never ridden much" etc.
I would pass on a bike with three owners in a short period of time.
Also check the service records if from a dealership (owners could make up stuff).
Does it have a clear title? Hidden DMV costs? Late registration fees? Is it in the person's name selling it? Non-op?
I would only consider a bike that I could inspect, test ride, and has ALL paperwork and current tags, insurance, etc. in the sellers name.
I have seen too many folks limp or trailer bikes to me that they just purchased, and were told by the person selling them, they could hear it run, but due to insurance reasons could not ride it or remove anything to inspect it.
Needless to say, bent frames, forks, steering head stems, coolant leaks, failing water pumps, damaged splines, electrical issues from added on stuff, or the old "I'm selling it for the widow after her husband died" BS.
Or I lost the title during a flood, it comes with a bill of sale only...and I don't have ID or drivers license :rofl1:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jay51
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Larry, that is the most brilliant and valid answer that I have heard on making the correct selection of the three choices...

I was just discussing the three previous owners in a short time theory with a good friend here on the boards (You know, one of those guys you described that likes to bolt a lot of things on his ST :)) and he too agrees...
So, the two of us are going to inspect it...

Hope you are doing well...

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
#1 is in town and has more accessories, no brainer, buy it if the price is good and the bike rides good.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
How far is #3 from you? If not too much, ride it home, change the fluids, and go enjoy. You will not hurt it.

Greg

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I would pick the one that passed my OCD Inpection :rolleyes:

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I personally shy away from heavily farkled bikes. Too much room for error on the part of the previous owner(s), especially with electronics. Some people go crazy with drills and hacksaws.

I say buy a blank sheet of paper, and customize it yourself, correctly

O yeah, I am a "Harley owner" too, do my own maintaince, and if I buy gadgets, they are functional. Plus, the ladies love it.

OP
OP
Jay51
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I made the decision today to purchase #3 for $5800. It will cost $250 to fly and drive it home. I decided that I would just enjoy the scenic drive...

I made the decision because #1 seller decided not to sell the amazing farkled machine.

This is what it had on it:

1. Full Helibars w/ 12v power port
2. MCL pegs
3. Some special windshield
4. Front fork Braces
5. Corbin Heated Seat
6. Sargent Seat
7. Lower wind deflectors
8. Hondaline Top Case
9 Two keys and a cover

#1 is the ultimate seller from hell! He wanted $7450, agreed to $7000, then wanted $7250, Then reneged on selling it at all. He said that he is a millionaire and doesn't need the money.

On the other hand ---

#3 has 10,200 miles for $5800
ABS
Helibar one inch riser
Back rest
Up to date maintenance with records
New Brigestone Battleax tires
Great seller and cooperative in every way

I will paint my silver top box black and be done with it...
I got the bike that I wanted!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I made the decision today to purchase #3 f
This is what it had on it:

1. Full Helibars w/ 12v power port
2. MCL pegs
3. Some special windshield
4. Front fork Braces
5. Corbin Heated Seat
6. Sargent Seat
7. Lower wind deflectors
8. Hondaline Top Case
9 Two keys and a cover

On the other hand ---

#3 has
Up to date maintenance with records

Great seller and cooperative in every way

I got the bike that I wanted!
First time I've heard that keys are a farkle. Sounds to me like you made the right choice. It's always a pleasure dealing with a nice seller. And the maintenance records are worth their weight in gold, from my pov.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Since your buying it without inspecting it first, don't be surprised if you end up having to go through the entire bike and service alot of stuff that was "in good condition" from the sellers point of view :rolleyes:
Hope the bike turns out to be everything you wanted, and not to many issues to correct.

OP
OP
Jay51
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I was being facetious with "two keys" because it was starting to sound like a partridge and a pear tree :) The list went on with more shiny stuff....
The guy was a bonified jerk to me.

The seller who I am buying from is the manager of a very nice hotel in his city. He even offered me a comp room for the night with breakfast ;-)

Larry, I plan to service it asap when I get back. You were a great coach for my first ST.... many thanks

Last edited:
Bike
07 ST1300
I got my 07 bike last season with 7500 miles. I don't consider low miles to be an issue as it sure wasnt for me.
Best of luck with the new bike!
Oops..Got it 2 seasons ago..how time flies!

Bike
03 st 1300
Jay, glad your done with the purchase! I enjoyed your post and comments on this purchase.
it can be a real challenge dealing with sellers of machines. "He was a millionaire and didn't need the money" perfect!

Top Bottom