Communicator advice...

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Hello all

Just looking for some communicator advice. It is just used between my wife and I on the same bike, so doesn't have to have multiple connectivity or long range.

We have used the UClear HBC100 for a few years now. On our last couple of rides it has been acting up a bit. Not connecting as it should, had to be reset a few times. And on the last ride, it connected, she could hear me, but I couldn't hear her. This seemed to be intermittent. The UClear has also had some other issues: we can not hear each other at highway speeds, unless I put the windscreen all the way up. But I never really ride with it in this position, so this is inconvenient. It also sometimes picks up some exhaust noise. I have Two Brothers pipes, which I can sometimes hear coming through the intercom. This has been somewhat annoying.

So I figure it is time for an upgrade...

Royal Distributing has the Cardio Scala Rider Q1 Teamset on sale for $219 CAD. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with this set? How is the sound quality? Is the intercom functional at highway speeds? I like that we can stream music from one source into both helmets, and then also use the intercom. Anything else I should know about these units?

Thanks for the advice.
Tim

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I'm a long time old school Autocom holdout. Mine has finally bit the dust and I am going to have to get a new system. From everything I've read here, Sena 20s seems to be the preferred wireless system.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I, too, have an old Autocom system. However, it was never installed. I took a 10 year break from riding and purchased it before I knew I was going to stop. If you're interested, I would be willing to sell you what you need out of it to replace what broke on yours. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

I will follow this thread, but I took a look at the Sena systems at the last STOC rally. Everyone that had it was pleased. Some had the 10, some the 20, but a straw poll post dinner around the fire kind confirmed it is the unit of choice currently. Easy for the lead and the tail to pair and anyone else that had them in the group could hear. Tim said he shimmed the speakers out from the helmet and closer to his ears using some foam or something. He said once the speakers are correctly positioned to your ear his base response and clarity improved. Maybe he can chime in if he's reading.

I was also told to contact Motorcycle Dave as it seems he has some good pricing and may give a benefit to forum members (FYI).

Can others chime in if you've tried and liked, or moved on to a different system?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I bought a pair of the Sena SMH-10D model, which has the boom mike attachment for open face helmet users. Works great as an intercom for me and the missus and also bike to bike with other Sena users. I hear it also connects with some other brands. Be sure to order the right model for your style of helmet.

Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
Been running the Sena SMH-10R for a few years now. It's mostly just Bluetooth connectivity to my phone for music and gps for directions during longer rides, but it has yet to fail me. Battery life is still excellent and the few time I do use it for bike to bike, it has worked well up to an eighth of a mile. That's about how far apart we ride in the dirt.

Sena makes a full range of products with features. I have the low end SMH 5 fm and mainly used for conversation with the Sweetheart. $225 for the set with boom mics a couple years ago and still working flawlessly. Phone connection is very good also. FM is ok when signal is strong.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Tim said he shimmed the speakers out from the helmet and closer to his ears using some foam or something. He said once the speakers are correctly positioned to your ear his base response and clarity improved. Maybe he can chime in if he's reading.
You are correct Dale. I really like the 20S and to make the speakers perform better I positioned them with little foam disks of a better quality than came with the device. It may be an overkill for just riding 2 up but the FM radio and Stereo music is a huge asset to me. People can not tell I am riding when I talk to them on the phone, so overall very happy. Battery life is great as well.

Bike
07 ST1300
We have been using the SMH5 dual pack for a couple of years without issue. Voice is great. Music is tinny. But I don't listen to music while riding.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I am using the 20S Sena and I use ear buds the sound quality is very good as is the intercom and bike to bike.

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
I have been using Scala Rider Q1 for 3 years. NO issues. $219 is a great price. they are old technology though compared to what is available today. I visited a Scala rider booth at Daytona bike fest last year. I had no idea these things were so fancy. Guess I merely want functionality instead of the latest and greatest. My wife and I hear each other perfectly at highway speeds with speakers that came with the set I purchased. We both wear full faced helmets and just the stick on mic.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Nothing but good to say about our Scala Q2 set. Looking back the first time I can remember using them was in 2011 on the way to Campstoc in Tellico Plains. We are still using the same set with no problems. So that is at least 6 years of use. We do turn them on and set them to stay connected the whole time. We have had them on for over 10 hours before going dead.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I have been using the Shark Motorcycle Audio intercom headsets for about 4 years now. They work great for us,, for half the cost of the big names. Intercom,, gps, phone,, texts,, anything the smartphone can dish up. Getting a good fit in each helmet is important. I have the old 4-rider setup,, which I see they are out of stock on at the moment. There are a couple of newer model sets available. If I could wish for one improvement,, it would be more volume at speed. The ST's are quiet,, but the wind roar is still there. Overall the Sharks are still adequate,, and I wear earplugs most of the time. www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com Cat'

www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com/products/shkmhf6-motorcycle-voice-dial-bluetooth-intercom-headsets-set-of-2-full-duplex-bluetooth-handsfree-intercom-communication.html

Last edited:
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I've got a Scala Rider Q3 and it works great bike to bike, intercom, iPhone music and the FM radio (I really like the radio).

The only little wrinkle is that it can take a few seconds to find and connect to another headset. It always does hook up - just be patient and wait for 10-20 sec. before you start pushing buttons. I agree that $219 CDN is an excellent price.

Top Bottom