ChinaVision GPS

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I have the ChinaVision Rage. First time GPS user.
During about a 600 mile weekend it repeatedly told me the battery is critically low and to consider charging it. To the point of turning itself off a couple times.
When plugged into 12 V, should the battery condition even matter?
Also, is the battery replaceable?
Already knew that the battery is toast.

v8-7

Site Supporter
Since it was saying batt low, it probably wasn't connected to power.

Check the connections and also check the 4 pins that connect the unit to the mount. I had some rust that prevented power transfer .

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yup, the GPS turning itself off is a sign that its not getting bike power. My Nuvi does that, and I can restart it by wiggling the cord/plug on the back of the unit.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Yup, the GPS turning itself off is a sign that its not getting bike power. My Nuvi does that, and I can restart it by wiggling the cord/plug on the back of the unit.
It took me a while to discover that the resistor part of my Nuvi power was so close to the connection that if not supported, it would slightly disconnect and cause said problem. I rerouted it to (wound it around other stuff) support it and absolutely no problems since.

Greg

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
The insert with the 4 pins on the Chinavision mounting bracket could be flaky which happened to me. Try pushing on the plastic piece around the 4 pins with your finger and see if it pops out the back of the mounting bracket. I had to scrape away plastic from the mounting bracket in order to get the piece with the pins to positively lock into place. If you can push hard on the plastic piece with the pins and not have it pop out of place then it's okay. The pins supplying power to the GPS are spring loaded and need to press tightly against the pads on the back of the GPS.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I had to glue the 4 pin pad into the mount to keep it tight. Also, a coat of dielectric grease to keep the connectors free of water and corrosion may help.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I had to glue the 4 pin pad into the mount to keep it tight. Also, a coat of dielectric grease to keep the connectors free of water and corrosion may help.
Be careful here. The USB mini connector on my Garmin is not a tight push in connector, i.e. the grease will not be wiped away by mechanical pressure yielding metal to metal contact. Not having seen a Chinavision GPS I'm assuming the same type of connection. Sure, some grease will be cleared from the metal when inserted, but it might exacerbate the problem. If you try the grease, wipe it around the outside rather than smearing it all over the mating pins.

If the problem is looseness, then certainly the grease will not be cleared and the problem will be worse.

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
When checking in the garage, the connection seems ok. That pad connector is tight. Wiggling stuff around does not seem to affect anything.
Upper right of screen, the indicator alternates between the wired icon and the sequential battery charging icon. Which I think is what it is supposed to do?

From original post:
When plugged into 12 V, should the battery condition even matter? i.e. should it work ok with a bad battery?

Is this the correct replacement connector for RAM mounting, instead of using the included Chinese smaller ball mount?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O8LF26/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A24X6L8V5U06S5&psc=1
The base has four pre-drilled holes at each corner
Universal 1.5 x 1.188 (hole spacing) AMPS hole pattern

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
When checking in the garage, the connection seems ok. That pad connector is tight. Wiggling stuff around does not seem to affect anything.
Upper right of screen, the indicator alternates between the wired icon and the sequential battery charging icon. Which I think is what it is supposed to do.
Sounds like your power supply might be going. Check the voltage at the connection. Should be 5V.

I have the 5" Chinavasion unit and my power supply went bad. I ordered another from them for about $12.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Power supply? The bike provides the power. and the Rage has a bad battery.
Could you elaborate?
As my 5" Chinavasion unit did (and all GPS devices I've seen), I assume your device came with a power cable that has voltage regulator to step down 12V to 5V. This is what went bad on mine... I had 0V out instead of 5V.

GPS Power Cable.JPG

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
On further examination..

4 pin problem has been referred to.
I'm seeing 5 pins in the cradle, with the last one on the right having no 'springiness'. It sits there depressed. Maybe the problem?

Attachments

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Upper right of screen, the indicator alternates between the wired icon and the sequential battery charging icon. Which I think is what it is supposed to do?

From original post:
When plugged into 12 V, should the battery condition even matter? i.e. should it work ok with a bad battery?

Is this the correct replacement connector for RAM mounting, instead of using the included Chinese smaller ball mount?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O8LF26/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A24X6L8V5U06S5&psc=1
The base has four pre-drilled holes at each corner
Universal 1.5 x 1.188 (hole spacing) AMPS hole pattern
Here's the list of parts Phil sent me to mount the Rage on top of the clutch reservoir.

Items Qty Price Amount
RAM Mount Rectangular AMPS Plate B-Ball RAM-B-347U
Mfr. P/N: RAM-B-347U 1 $5.91 $5.91
RAM Mount Medium Arm B-Socket RAM-B-201U
Mfr. P/N: RAM-B-201U 1 $12.21 $12.21
RAM Mount Motorcycle Extended Reservoir Cover Base
Mfr. P/N: RAM-B-346U 1 $20.97 $20.97

The AMPS plate replaces the ball mount on the Rage cradle. Just remove the four bolts and the RAM plate will bolt right on. IIRC longer bolts for the reservoir cover and nylon spacers were included with the extended reservoir cover base.

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
I'm seeing 5 pins in the cradle, with the last one on the right having no 'springiness'. It sits there depressed. Maybe the problem?
How many pads are there on the back of your Chinavision GPS? My GPS has four pads. Two pins on my holder are grounded and the other two are for +5V. When I had my problem I first checked for voltage and then I checked for power with a test lamp.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I'm somewhat familiar with that particular GPS unit:cool: I do recall getting the occasional message that the power supply was disconnected when I was riding, while it was plugged into my bike. I attributed that to some vibration. Sounds like something has changed and it could be the battery is no longer holding a charge or that it isn't getting a charge to hold. Isn't technology wonderful?!? Good luck!

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
How many pads are there on the back of your Chinavision GPS? My GPS has four pads. Two pins on my holder are grounded and the other two are for +5V. When I had my problem I first checked for voltage and then I checked for power with a test lamp.
contacts

Attachments

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I'm somewhat familiar with that particular GPS unit:cool: I do recall getting the occasional message that the power supply was disconnected when I was riding, while it was plugged into my bike. I attributed that to some vibration. Sounds like something has changed and it could be the battery is no longer holding a charge or that it isn't getting a charge to hold. Isn't technology wonderful?!? Good luck!
Yep.
That's a reason I asked if the battery even needs to be any good. As it is plugged into bike power. Or if it is replaceable if necessary.
It isn't saying that it is disconnected, only that it is extremely low and needs recharging.
You certainly know of my love of all things tech !

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
That photo of the spring loaded pins in the mount does show the pin on the right stuck down. Try some gentle tugging with tweezers or needle nose pliers to see if it pops up and is still "springy".

I don't know it that pin is actually used, but if it is that will cause you problems.

Top Bottom