The Versys 650 LT has left Russellville

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
After selling my Wing/camping trailer, I was looking for something a little bit lighter for this ole guy to handle. A while back I saw Bug Doctor had put his Versys 650 LT up for sale. I had seen it at RockSTOC II, he even offered it for me to ride. I passed. This gave me even more motivation to sell the Wing/trailer.

A retired Air Force friend of mine had ridden with me on a campout last year and mentioned that if I ever wanted to sell the Wing/trailer to let him know. Guess timing was right. Let him know and they were gone. Delivered to Wichita Falls last Thursday.

Text to Mike, I sold the Wing/trailer so I'm ready to come up for the Kawi. Text back was 'come on up'. So I said we'd come up this past Sunday. He said its gassed, clean, and ready to go.

Carole and I drove up Sunday and there it was. Clean, gassed up, and ready to go, just like Mike said. I didn't doubt his word. We did go out for a very short ride but I had already made up my mind. Once back to his house, we loaded all the extras, there was quite a few, into my Escape, I hopped on, and we were off, Carole following me.

We went as far as Ft Smith last night before getting a motel for the night. Didn't want to push the first day on it, besides it was getting late in the day.

Today we left the motel and headed for Granbury. Went some back roads, Okie 31, to get out to 69/75 and headed south. The low fuel bar started to blink and I was wondering how far can I go? Didn't push it but when I fueled up, got 52 mpg. Now that's definitely better than the Wing, by far. With a full tank, I pushed the speed up the rest of the way home, 70+.

Once back in Granbury, I gassed up b/4 putting it in the M/C shed. Even with the speed, still got 51 mpg. Think I'm gonna like that.

As for the ride, so far I'm impressed with the way it handles and rides. Only time will tell if I continue to feel this way. But I do know, I'll be riding it more than I did the Wing that past year.

Just gonna see if I can put lots of miles with smiles on it.

Attachments

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Gary,
Hope you enjoy it half as much as I did. Before you arrived yesterday my wife walked out to the garage, looked at the Versys and said "that really is a pretty bike." I said to myself "Gary had better get here fast." When I rode it to fill up the tank I wanted to ride another 200 miles.

The Versys got me excited about riding motorcycles again and I hope it does the same for you. It taught me that lighter is better and weight is unnecessary. The Versys is sporty and a comfortable touring bike without weighing half a ton. I now have a self imposed weight limit of 600 lbs. for my bikes (give or take a few pounds).

See ya down the road,
Mike

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Congrats Gary! I hope you enjoy it. I'll bet that bike will be fun on the roads between you and Meridian I was on on my way to the ranch this year. I wish I remembered them. The GPS got me there after I got lost. :D But they sure were fun even on the DR650.

Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #
Congrats Gary- I saw the look in your eye when were at the Dallas show in January, so not totally surprised. Enjoy and I know what you mean about the weight. Hope you have lots of smiles in the saddle. Let me know if you want to go for a spin sometime.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Congrats on the new bike. I have ridden the Versys 1000LT but not the 650 version. How does the Versys 650 compare to the V-Strom 650? Ride comfort, handling, power?

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I love my 650 LT. Quick and nimble are my descriptors for it. Enjoy!

Greg

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I'm jealous Gary... I've had my eye on that bike since Mike got it and I rode it at OkieSTOC last year. Congrats, hope you like it as much as your Wing(s)!

OP
OP
gmast1100

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Congrats on the new bike. I have ridden the Versys 1000LT but not the 650 version. How does the Versys 650 compare to the V-Strom 650? Ride comfort, handling, power?
Ride comfort much better but then Mike put a Sargeants seat on it. Handling-seems to be a little bit quicker as it feels a little lighter. Power-would guess about the same but does have lots of guts for a 650. Mileage was great. Got 51 mpg doing over 70 most of the way home yesterday. Slow down some it should shoot up.

I do know I really like riding this way one more than the VStrom I had. Doesn't sit quite as high so I can flat foot at a stop.

Time will tell but looking forward to get real acquainted with it. Thinking of taking a long trip with my riding buddy from Tolar. He's talking about heading to the Grand Canyon. Will need to put the new tires on it that came with it. Mike loaded it up pretty good with farkles.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Ride comfort much better but then Mike put a Sargeants seat on it. Handling-seems to be a little bit quicker as it feels a little lighter. Power-would guess about the same but does have lots of guts for a 650. Mileage was great. Got 51 mpg doing over 70 most of the way home yesterday. Slow down some it should shoot up.

I do know I really like riding this way one more than the VStrom I had. Doesn't sit quite as high so I can flat foot at a stop.

Time will tell but looking forward to get real acquainted with it. Thinking of taking a long trip with my riding buddy from Tolar. He's talking about heading to the Grand Canyon. Will need to put the new tires on it that came with it. Mike loaded it up pretty good with farkles.
Nice, you could head to SD in a week.. just saying... lol

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
I adored my versys 650. I had my ST and Versys for a while. Kinda sad I sold the V. I miss the quick, nimble ride. I felt like I could throw around the V, my ST is big and comfy.... I think I am eventually have two street bikes again. I should have kept my V. congrats on your purchase.

Rubber side down.

Top Bottom