1300A brake flush vs brake bleed

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
Hi all,
I've looked around in 1300 brakes and am not clear on the procedure. Apologies if this has been covered before and I'm just missing it.

It's (past) time to flush new fluid into my '09 1300A purchased in '12. It Last time it was done was when a dealer replaced the hose & hardware on the swingarm under the recall.

Nothing wrong with the brakes, it just needs a fresh drink.

I see a procedure for brake flush on a non-ABS 1300 in the articles forum. Is the process identical on ABS 1300's?

Thanks Gentlemen,

Good Ridin'
slmjim

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The procedure is identical for both versions of the bike.

Be sure to follow the directions exactly. If it isn't done in the right order and with the front left caliper suspended the right way, you won't get all of the air out of it.

--Mark

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a step by step procedure on pdf that is simple and straightforward to use. It was written as a tech article by ST-O contributor Leo7x24 years ago that I printed for my own use and to share with others. There are many resources here and elsewhere to do this job of flushing and bleeding I just found this one effective and easy to follow. Long ago it found it's way into my service manual supplements and addendeums. If you would like a copy of it PM me an email address.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
A flush and bleed are basically the same thing for the most part.. However, some might think a flush is emptying it all out first then refilling but that is not a good thing to do as it's much more difficult to get all the air out.

By bleeding, you are pulling out the old fluid and constantly refilling ergo, flushing the system.. Yes, a very small amount of old fluid might be hiding somewhere or being diluted into the new stuff but that's fine, as long as you do this on a regular maint schedule, everything is good.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
A flush and bleed are basically the same thing for the most part.. However, some might think a flush is emptying it all out first then refilling but that is not a good thing to do as it's much more difficult to get all the air out.

By bleeding, you are pulling out the old fluid and constantly refilling ergo, flushing the system.. Yes, a very small amount of old fluid might be hiding somewhere or being diluted into the new stuff but that's fine, as long as you do this on a regular maint schedule, everything is good.
:plus1:

One of the key spots for old fluid to lurk is at the closed end of the Secondary Master Cylinder on the front left calliper bracket. It helps if you exercise the SMC while applying a vacuum at the PCV bleed valve- this movement helps mix the old fluid with the new. It also moves the piston so that the rear end is exposed to the flow of new fluid coming in through the inlet port from the rear fluid reservoir. The mixture is then drawn past the primary seal and up to the PCV bleed valve. Pressing the brake pedal helps as this provides an extra push of fluid through the SMC towards the PCV bleed valve.

Another spot in which old fluid can lurk is the pair of outer pistons in all 3 brake callipers. The one which is furthest away from the bleed valve is not in the flow of new fluid coming in at the banjo bolt, so the old fluid doesn't get sluiced out.

A lot of the old fluid can be expelled by pushing this piston in all of the way (clean the pistons first). If you then allow the pistons to be pumped out with new fluid (careful they don't come out all of the way), this will mix the new fluid with the remaining old fluid and most of this mixture will be expelled when the pistons are pushed in again.

If you're wanting to get rid of old fluid, this can help.

Top Bottom