Over Mirror Bracket ?

I picked up a set of over the mirror brackets, I do not know the brand and I do not know if I will use them for lights or mirrors.

My question is when you use this type of bracket is there a way to use the rubber piece that goes between the mirror and the faring or do you just have to pull them out ?

Do most ST Owners use these for mirrors or lights ? I originally was going to use them for mirrors when loaded for camping.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Won't let me edit previous post... Second pic is Under mirror brackets, MCL.
Other kind of over is police over brackets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
My question is when you use this type of bracket is there a way to use the rubber piece that goes between the mirror and the faring or do you just have to pull them out ?
The police models that use the over mirror brackets quote a different part number for the rubber surround - so I guess the original needs removing or modifying in some way.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Not sure about 'most', but I suspect more guys use the under mirror MCL mount. These were originally made by someone else (Saeng(?)) and then copied by motorcyclelarry. The over the mirror mounts simply do not seem to be as popular. I suspect esthetics has something to do with it. All else being equal, I think the higher the light, the farther the beam will reach, but a matter of 6 or 8" won't make any visible difference.

The MCL bracket works fine but you have to cut openings in the mirror tupperware. This has led to a few mistakes when cutting. I had to drill and tap new holes in my MCL's in order to mount my rather large lights to clear the fairing.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
I picked up a set of over the mirror brackets, I do not know the brand and I do not know if I will use them for lights or mirrors.

Do most ST Owners use these for mirrors or lights ? I originally was going to use them for mirrors when loaded for camping.
Are you going to post a pic of the brackets?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I think the MCL under mirror brackets are heavily 'based' on the Dick Seng/Ron Majors mounts but currently are obviously a different mount.

Current MCL offering. This has a longer
lower arm for mounting larger lights.

This is the original Seng bracket designed for the unique PIAA 910 lights mount but may be adaptable to other brands.

Seng PIAA 910 Prototype

I have a pair of brackets nearly identical to the prototype but with a flat bottom for the lower arm. They're Seng 'universal' brackets but don't accommodate the round PIAA 910-style mounting bar. Compared to the
MCL brackets some adapting will be needed for larger diameter lamps.

Bike
2010 ST1300
My MCL brackets arrived with one drilled and tapped hole to mount the lights, as I stated above. Outboard of this hole was a dimple near the end of the bracket. I used this mark (aka dimple), drilled and tapped using the dimple as the center of the hole, and my Hella's just barely clear the fairing now.

Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
The police models that use the over mirror brackets quote a different part number for the rubber surround - so I guess the original needs removing or modifying in some way.
I have the police mounts, over the mirror brackets. It does call for the different rubber surround or modifying it, as pointed out above.

RUBBER, R. MIRROR COVER
88112-MCS-A30
$11.81

RUBBER, L. MIRROR COVER
88122-MCS-A30
$11.81
This is from SouthSoundhonda down to the bottom of the page to OEM parts.
I'm not very good at modifying stuff so I'll just order the parts. But my guess is you could modify it I think its only a slit cut in the rubber to allow the bracket to pass through.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Here's a picture of the rubber police covers (not mine), with the slot cut in them. I mounted my lights, but haven't gotten around to cutting my covers yet, mainly because I have to pull the light mounts off to install the covers.

Ride Safe
John
image.jpg

Top Bottom