New Goldwing yesterday or today 6/29/17

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
A rumor for sure but seen two other places this morning.

7 speed DCT and adjustable on the fly suspension highlights.

Bike
VStrom 650
The filed patents show DCT, Ride Selector Thumb Wheel and rider assist functions. Some talk of self standing function.
But won't we believe it when we see it?
Before you know if they will be saying there's a new ST on the way.
Upt'North.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
drbuzzard said:
I'm not sure I want another wing
If I got another Wing it would make a total of— one. LOL. I'm curious to see that this new 'Wing looks like. Hope it's got a little softer styling than the last iteration. I think I'd prefer a bagger Wing (F6B) to a touring Wing.

But since I'm talking about my dream stable of bikes what the heck— I'll take one of each.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I just got a notification of email from Honda Powersports! But it was about Summer time is dirt-bike time.

No joy there.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I saw the patent fo rthe moving windscreen adn the para-lever (or another trade-mark name) front end.

Hmm... maybe when I wear out the ST1300 I'll look at buying one.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Nice rumor. I've rode Honda's long enough to know one thing for sure. Honda don't do rumors.

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
But since I'm talking about my dream stable of bikes what the heck— I'll take one of each.
Dream stable? Hah! Start with a brand you can thoroughly trust - that would have to be Honda.
For touring, nothing beats a Wing.
For "faster than a scared rabbit" performance, coupled with all day ergos, the V-four 1200 coupled with a DCT. Honda's VFR 1200X.
Honda, for the joy of riding!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Start with a brand you can thoroughly trust
You DO know I ride an ST (made by Honda) doncha? And you DO know the F6B is a 'Wing too right? And speaking for me- I could tour much better on an F6B than traditional 'Wing.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
from the linked article:

I will say that to describe the look and features is in a word. "Radical"
I don't want radical! Unless the extra gears get me more MPG's at highway speed, I'm not interested. Never needed more than the 5 the old ones have.

Honda currently doesn't have a thing that interest me and sounds like they won't in the near future. :(

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
Don't tell me what I know. Tell me what I don't know.
Very nice signature line!
And yes, although I now own the two bikes I mentioned, I'm quite familiar with ST's, having owned an '05. The F6B is an interesting marketing exercise, but I always thought they should have made the top-case removable on the Wing. The Victory Vision which I recently owned, had that feature. When the top box was removed, and a supplied panel was installed to hide the hole, the bike looked completely different.
Although sometimes Mother Honda gets accused of being too conservative, I've always enjoyed their reliability and their rider-friendliness. Hence my favoritism toward Honda!

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
Dream stable? Hah! Start with a brand you can thoroughly trust - that would have to be Honda.
For touring, nothing beats a Wing.
For "faster than a scared rabbit" performance, coupled with all day ergos, the V-four 1200 coupled with a DCT. Honda's VFR 1200X.
Honda, for the joy of riding!
Do you like the 1200XDCT? I don't want to highjack this thread so I sent you a pm. Thanks.

st1300doug

Why are so many.......scared to death of a " DCT Model " or Paddle Shift. Best of all worlds!!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Why are so many.......scared to death of a " DCT Model " or Paddle Shift. Best of all worlds!!
More things to go wrong.
Ride a motorcycle for the feel, I don't want power steering, I don't want an enclosed cage. I do like a wet clutch but a dry has more feel and spring/shocks on front and rear are a good thing. But push button shifting... no... might as well sit home and watch a video. Look ma, I can shift just like I play my Nintendo. ;)

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Time is marching on and things are going to change. I was following an MG Midget the other day and wondering if I was getting any oxygen at all. I could smell him 1/4 mile a way. But as I went by he was smiling... wind in the hair... not on two wheels, but all the same. You just can't get fuel injection to be so inefficient that you get so out of balance. It wouldn't be the same experience without it.

There was a time that shaft drive was viewed as un-motorcycle and paddle shifters will be the same. Some will accept them, some will love them, some will be disappointed, some will hate them. But, they're coming. There are too many would be motorcyclists that can't drive clutch.

I will hate to see a gear shift lever go... but I've been impressed over the absolute and total function change of everything else and I have seen. I was around when frame geometry came into play and it was great to be able to start handling the power they came up with in a way you could stay on the bike. Now they've got active balance management in some of the high end software.

Who would have thought?

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
More things to go wrong.
I heard that one repeatedly when AutoStick and Tiptronic transmissions appeared 20 years ago and nobody seemed to understand that the days of physical linkages between the gearshift and transmission were already over. Three additional switches and some firmware were all it took to make it do what it already knew how to do.

Manual transmissions are fun, and I love 'em as much as the next guy. But I do like to ridicule the purists because had we been able to produce an engine with a wide enough power band in the first place, the skill they're so proud of themselves for having mastered would be pointless.

Ride a motorcycle for the feel, I don't want power steering, I don't want an enclosed cage. I do like a wet clutch but a dry has more feel and spring/shocks on front and rear are a good thing. But push button shifting... no... might as well sit home and watch a video. Look ma, I can shift just like I play my Nintendo.
...he says as he goes out for a ride on a motorcycle with a push-button electric starter, push-button adjustable windshield, electrically-adjustable headlight and instrumentation driven mostly by the same computer that runs the engine.

You're already on the dark side. Have another cookie. :ds1:

--Mark

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had paddle shifting on my Burgman 650 scooter in 2006. But I had to turn on manual shift "mode" to use it. I only tried it a few times and then decided to forget it since it felt like fake shifting or just pretending to shift, which is exactly what it was/is. Like pulling the shift lever over on a modern cage and manually moving it from 1 to 2 to 3, etc... Why?
I did like the true CVT on that scoot, but missed the experience of true manual shift on a motorcycle. I've been tempted to trade one of my cages for a manual transmission version but have put that off since my bike satisfies that itch for now.

More on task... I do notice there are a few design changes in the 2017 Gold Wing. Curious what the 2018 will really be like but have no interest in owning one at this time. I'd rather KNOW how to use the brakes or parallel park than rely on my vehicle to do it for me resulting in loss of valuable skills.

Having said that, I will say I like Electric Vehicles. Put it in drive and just go. But that's for some very different reasons than why I ride the bike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom