Front Brake maintenance ARGGGHGHGGH!!!

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Changed rear tire, replaced the rear pads, flushed, filled and bled brake system (first time for me), changed front tire. Pulled front pads to check 'em, good enough for now, back in they'll go. Back end is all put back together, putting front end together.

Blasted "inside" brake pads keep dropping out of the caliper. They don't actually fall, because the pin holds 'em in, but they are falling out of the top notch. It's happening on both sides. I've changed both front tires and front pads before, never had this problem. I had to stop working on it today when they dropped for the x-teenth time. Okay, not quite that many, but enough that I sensed my inner Hulk coming on and said "time to do something else before tools start flying." (This has been, for some reason, the maintenance session from Pluto's realm)

The H-clip thingies are in both calipers.

What the heck is going on, and more importantly, what is the solution?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You need to speak to your bike in a calm voice with low tones.
If you need assistance or direction, PM me a contact phone number and I'll call you tomorrow and see if I can assist you.
Igofar - The ST-Whisperer

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
This is how I do it. Fit the outboard pad first, you can see when the tab on the pad fits forward into the notch in the caliper. Now slip the retainer pin in far enough to hold the outboard pad in place. It will stay put. Now slip the inboard pad into place, again looking to see the pad's tab fitted into the notch in the caliper. With one hand holding the inner pad in place the other hand is free to push the retainer pin through the hole in the inner pad and complete the job.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
There's not quite enough info to sort the problem - but Larry will sort you out. Three things spring to mind though:

1. Are you putting the pads in before mounting the calliper ? The wheel needs to be in place before the calliper is fitted. Front and rear. The pads do fall out if the disc rotor isn't there to stop it from happening.
If you are putting the pads in before mounting the calliper, then they stand a good chance of falling out. I always put the pads in with the calliper mounted - I put the outside one in first so that the pad pin can hold it in place - partially inserted. Then the inside one. But care has to be taken to make sure the pad fits behind the tabs on the H spring clip. Make sure the H clip is the correct way round - the wider spring strip goes nearest to the pistons.

2. Is the silver retaining clip in place for the tab end of the pads to sit in ?

3. Are these new pads , and are they the same size as the old ones ?

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Slide the caliper towards the outside just a bit so that the inside pad has something to sit on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom